Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chevymaher
    started a topic Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

Introduction first. I am Randy from northern Ky by the ohio river. I grew up around boats but this is my first one.

I keep coming across this forum researching my new boat. So I figured I going be here alot and decided to join.

Now the boat in question. A 87 Four Winns 170 Horizon. And like my chevelle I got it in pieces and in boxes. The boat sat for years and years neglected.
    Guy said last time out skiing it ran worse and worse until it died. He pulled the engine and outdrive. Planned on rebuilding it. Then got another boat and it just sat.

I got the engine and outdrive here a month ago. Had the engine on a stand in the shop seeing what was wrong. I got the boat itself here a week ago. Had to wait till the mud in his yard dried enough to pull it out.

I plan to fully restore the boat as I go along. New interior make it presentable. It is a 3 liter merc and I have ridden in one my buddy had I am fine with the power. I will be fishing and skiing not racing it.

So far I found a dead spark plug wire. The electronics in the distributor shorted and they are gone. A pertinex unit. It had a bad coil. Distributor knife edged the gear. And it had way to much side play in the distributor shaft. Seems Merc did not use a lower bushing in them. Or it was a factory mistake. I restored a 68 chevelle so I had lots of parts to that. I pressed in a lower bearing in the distributor housing solved that mess. It says it has 64 hours n the engine on the counter. Boat reflects that this may be right. It has no wear anywhere. Seems it just sat.

The boat its self was stored correctly with the plug out. I checked for rot all the wood looks good. Interior was badly mildewed and the exterior was moss and mildew covered from sitting under the tree for years.

I am a registered car mech and I do paint and bodywork. But am new to the gel Coat situation. And this is why I kept coming across this forum. Learning Gel coat care.

Any how I sanded it and buffed it on the extremely faded color stripe. I still got the white to do. But is looks alot better. Future post will not be so long winded. Just had a lot to catch up on this round.

I don't expect to float it this year. Shooting for next summer. But who knows if things go well.

Here some as I got it and now shots of the Barge as I call her. Never mind I just found out I have to make 3 post to do that so in the future I will. The saying on my other forums is we like pics. I assume this one is the same.

Randy.

• chevymaher
    replied
    Originally posted by oldrem View Post

We have 24 hours of rain, sleet and mostly SNOW predicted starting this afternoon
    I am with you there. it is 48 hours or rain they saying. I been putting up tarps on the new boathouse. Dont matter how much it rains snows or the wind blows it isnt getting on the boat now.

Leave a comment:

• oldrem
    replied
    Originally posted by kcassells View Post
    Boy Eric you DO have long winters their.
    We have 24 hours of rain, sleet and mostly SNOW predicted starting this afternoon

Leave a comment:

• chevymaher
    replied
    Had to break down and cover mine up for the Winter on Sunday. With all these days in the 40's and some nights dropping into the 20's I'm done until Spring
    I could have went some more. I had a good summer. And I am not wearing a coat to boat. I am real happy playing with the chevelle now. It says 27 sat here. Me and the boy been hiking by the lake it is perfect weather for that now. Every season has things to look forward to if you like doing them. And we do like everything here.

Boy is so cranked up he can't wait to play with the snow blower. I remember that age. Snow was the thing. I am older but I still enjoy my snow and ice. Building igloos. Snowmen. Winter is when you hit the pool and climb the repelling walls at the sports center.

I put in the new temp sender the other day. I put a new wheel bearing in towmater today and a alignment.

I think the boy wants to try and kill himself on a sled this year.

It about time to mulch leaves and pull bulbs, cut things to the ground. I did build a set of shelves in the corner for the boating stuff. There is a ton of it that isnt in the boat. Extra life jackets fishing and camping gear.

We had a good 24 hour rain. The new boathouse and tarps the boat is bone dry and with the new drain I put in the ground under it to.

Leave a comment:

• kcassells
    replied
    Boy Eric you DO have long winters their.

Leave a comment:

• oldrem
    replied
    Had to break down and cover mine up for the Winter on Sunday. With all these days in the 40's and some nights dropping into the 20's I'm done until Spring

Leave a comment:

• sphelps
    replied
    Well they gotta sell snow shovels to someone don’t they ?

Leave a comment:

• mickyryan
    replied
    I am just trying to get you all to pack it in and cmon down

Leave a comment:

• chevymaher
    replied
    Originally posted by sphelps View Post
    I feel bad for you all up there having to winterize and all ...
    Im still swatting mosquitoes down here .....
    Yep I hear it all the time from mickey.

Leave a comment:

• sphelps
    replied
    I feel bad for you all up there having to winterize and all ...
    Im still swatting mosquitoes down here .....

Leave a comment:

• chevymaher
    replied
    Well as the Meme implies it is time for wnterization. Started it warmed it up ran -60 anti-freeze through it 6 gallons of it. Then drained the block and exhaust.

Put her in the carport double covered her. Put up tarps for the blowing snow that is coming . There will be more tarps once it starts snowing. Sleeping beauty is resting till Prince Charming kisses her in the spring.

I had a 4 dollar cheapo temp sender it worked as long as you didnt bump the wire. I took it out and ordered the 30 dollar original equipment one. It is on the way.

Got my repel in it. And mousetraps. Repel is a power that actually has wolves pee in it to keep animals (Mice) away.

Tank is full with fuel stabilizer. Emptied the tactors tank. Ran it till the carb was out of fuel. Tarped it up to.

It was a good summer. Now down to the garage I am ordering new interior for the chevelle. Got to go through what I got and need. Hood hinges came goinns fool with those today. Always something.

Leave a comment:

• Baylinerchuck
    replied
    Yep, it’s coming. Sad to say, now time to catch up on all the other stuff we neglect over the summer. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• chevymaher
    replied
    This was 2 weeks ago with my son. It is to chilly for me now i am hopeing for another few warm days.

Leave a comment:

• chevymaher
    replied
    We had a rather short and cool summer here. For the past couple weeks we've been 50's to low 60's for highs. They,re predicting 29 for a low Sunday night. Been bow hunting with no thoughts of boating with these temps.
    LOL it looks like it be over soon. we got a frost warning sun. Then a 10 days straight of rain over the next 2 weekends and everything in between.

I put gas in the snow blower and made sure it runs. It is coming.

Leave a comment:

• oldrem
    replied
    We had a rather short and cool summer here. For the past couple weeks we've been 50's to low 60's for highs. They,re predicting 29 for a low Sunday night. Been bow hunting with no thoughts of boating with these temps.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X