Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
The case is welded and sealed on a marine starter. The main motor body. Not bent in a circle with the open seam on the side.

I looked into all this long ago. I made a alt for the boat and got the heavy drama act. We are all gonna die the earth axis changed woe is me.

So I looked all this stuff up. All coast gaurd stuff for me. I like the man liking my toys if he looks. Life it easier if you don't rock the boat. See what I did there?

I always open the engine compartment and smell it check for leaks before I start it anyway. Only takes a second. Better than finding out in a few minutes oh the bilge plug may have wanted to put that in as your in the middle of the river. I did it before testing for leaks as a matter of fact. Wow the bilge fills fast with that out.

I found a high torque gear reduction starter. Brand new for 60 bucks. I am good with it. I got a year warentee and it is coast guard approved.

It just rained and is going to rain again for the next 2 days it said. And OMG we needed it. So no harm no foul. I couldn't go anyway. And we need water in the worst way raise the river some.

chevymaher

Commander
Okay tomorrow we all know what I be doing. Starter came.

First pic since I was down there and thought about it. The seam in a car starter. I got all kinds of spare parts down there. I think that is the 454's.

Gotta love these guys brand new starter and they send a test sheet basically a dyno sheet for it.

And you can see first things first I bench tested it. Wow this thing is quiet.

As my buddy says when we work on stuff. Almost vroom vroom time.

Attachments

• photo317032.jpg
    photo317032.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 4
  • photo317033.jpg
    photo317033.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo317034.jpg
    photo317034.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo317035.jpg
    photo317035.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 4
  • photo317036.jpg
    photo317036.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 4

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wonder if we could get those 2 starter pics side by side and stickied to show the obvious difference between marine and non, as something quick and easy to reference the next time questions arise?

chevymaher

Commander
I can get the side by side pics. I got the old starter and the car starter.

Well I had fits today. Stripped the main terminal. I got it sorted out and ran it on the muffs. Used a fatter nut from my scrap pile.

Anywho it is fixed now.

2 pics one the cute way I held the starter so I could get the bolts started. Little hard to float upside down and have both arms in there. I wasn't really wanting to pull the engine cover. I used a small rope tied to the solinoid.

Second pic i just thought was funny. From me having ice water in the boat when I worked. There was steam/condensation on the side of the boat. I circled it.

Well I gonna go exercise ride the bike 20 miles make the admiral and the doctor happy. Lower that blood pressure.

Attachments

• photo317087.jpg
    photo317087.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo317088.jpg
    photo317088.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 4

chevymaher

Commander
Here are the 2 starters side by side. The no seam is the one that came out of my boat.

Alternators have screens in them so sparks dont fly out.

Fuel pumps have a vent so if the diaphragm breaks fuel goes to the carb.

Carb has a port so the line from the fuel pump can be vented into the bowl.

Basically that is it. other parts are the same as far as explosion prevention.

Dist has no vacuum advance. Timing differences due to that.

Attachments

• photo317092.jpg
    photo317092.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
It is just to hot here. I am doing bodywork and it is so hot the glass is kicking off in 5 minutes.

Last time i went to the river I came home with the cover off and the rear seat was flipping open above 60 mph. My uncle lost one doing that. It snaps down but it dont take much to open it.

Well my buddies bayliner has straps that snap to the sides. Right angle on the snaps. I made 2 of them that baby wont do that again.

I know no pics I am talking out the side of my neck. I can go get one or get one tomorrow if KC dont call the coast gaurd on me.

Last edited:

chevymaher

Commander
Pssssttt,,,,at least you are on the water :D

Yes true thank you. Soon as I get the admiral from work I am going to make several runs to the gas station and fill the boat. I just use all my gas cans. More something to do than anything else.

Rain today then a window of opportunity next week starting tuesday it says.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rain today then a window of opportunity next week starting tuesday it says.

Ya I have a 50% chance for rain down here in central Ky, have my fingers crossed that it doesn’t do anything, or if it does it’s over when I get off of work...

chevymaher

Commander
Today was the admiral"s first time on the boat. She likes it alot. This is what it is all about. No problems rode in the boat. She said it was worth fixing it as we were on the river.

I think next adventure is this winter I will replace the gimble bearing and both U joints. It is its second year so do the impeller also. So I reckon I should buy the puller for it.

It was 60 degress when we left. 72 when we got back. Sunny. A beautiful day for a first boat ride. First time for the whole family at once.

​​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bztpUtgckUY&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• photo317434.jpg
    photo317434.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 5
  • photo317435.jpg
    photo317435.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 5
  • photo317436.jpg
    photo317436.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo317438.jpg