Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Todays adventure I put tubes in the new tractor's tires. It was wrecked into a tree that is why my brother got it from a neighbor long long ago. So there was no hood. Seat was wasted foam sticking out everywhere. So I combined them and put the hood and seat on the better tractor with gears.

Now you have the first Craftsman Troy Built. And it don't look trashed like it did.

My skeg gaurd came today as I was watering.

I got the capacity sticker on. A before and after shot. I re torqued the manifolds as per breakin instructions. Checked oil and what not. Okay I played in the boat a while shoot me.

Attachments

• photo316699.jpg
    photo316699.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo316700.jpg
    photo316700.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo316701.jpg
    photo316701.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo316702.jpg
    photo316702.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo316703.jpg
    photo316703.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo316704.jpg
    photo316704.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 4

chevymaher

Commander
Man, it's little details like a new capacity plate that really make the boat feel new, eh?

That skeg is gonna look sharp!

Yes doing this little stuff is iceing on the cake.

Here is the skeg guard and the 2 speed mercruiser power 2 prop installed. I about to head to the water see what this this does for it. 17 to a 21 top pitch prop. it is a 15-21 pitch. This should be interesting.

Attachments

• photo316730.jpg
    photo316730.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Thats an interesting prop... I've never seen anything like that before... Let us know how she works

EDIT: nevermind... my eyes were playing tricks on me lol.. it looked like there were large AND small fins on the prop... nothing to see here :facepalm:

chevymaher

Commander
Thats an interesting prop... I've never seen anything like that before... Let us know how she works

EDIT: nevermind... my eyes were playing tricks on me lol.. it looked like there were large AND small fins on the prop... nothing to see here :facepalm:

It is a bizzare looking propellor. It has 2 distinct cups on each blade. Pic of a straight on.

On the bright side the boat likes the 21 prop much better. Much better cruise speed.

I had the props shift point set way to low. It was shifting exactly when it went on plane. I reset it for next time.

When I tried to start it I got the click click click thing, Hit it again fired right up. My son and I cruised along time. Tried to restart it when we were back the click click thing again.

I tested I think the starter is fried. I got continuity between the windings and the case. Never a good thing. So I got the battery out and will take the starter out for bench testing tomorrow.

If need be the guy down the road will rebuild it.

Attachments

• photo316754.jpg
    photo316754.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
Those props have always intrigued me. Give you better out of the hole and lower rpms for better cruising once on plane?

Yes it feels like a old chev with a 2 speed powerglide trans. Once I get it adjusted correctly I will like it alot. Out of the hole is like a V-8 boat with this thing it is so low geared. Top speed is only what the motor has but it is alot better cruising speed. It is the right prop for my boat I think as far as pitch. I had it up to 4600 when I let off and it was still accelerating. It brought up cruise speed to 26 to 30 MPH.

I talked to Mickey on facebook yesterday. I am gonna check my grounds and wiring before I pull this starter out. Alot more test.

I got to make a pharmacy run and cut and water the grass and gardens before the admiral says before I can play.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's awesome!

I have a 4.3 omc on my 20' cuddy so I think I'm outta luck for trick props. I'm still getting to know that boat, but on her maiden voyage GPS recorded max of 40 and 38/39mph was steady. Out of the hole could've been a little better, but that could be the carb adjustment and old fuel that is still in the tank. I rebuilt the carb, bolted it on and just guessed at 3/4 turn out on idle. I'd completely forgot about those props though until you brought it up! I remember watching a few videos on YouTube a couple years ago and hearing the motor change as the prop shifted was really slick!

Good call talking to Mick and doing more testing, albeit sometimes I wish that a bolt on part was broken and I could just drop it off rather than spend a few more hours testing lol. It's worth it though to do all the testing we can, as it's a real kick in the jewels to bolt on a new part, and either immediately or just a few times later have that same problem again!

Hope the chores go quick and you find something during testing so you can have some more fun on the river tomorrow/ tonight!

chevymaher

Commander
I did my duties. I did my testing. I pulled the starter. Soliniod is good the motor is shorted, Welder sparks flying and it isnt trying to turn over.

Tickles me to death at least it isnt a engine and it is something relatively simple.

Well off to find a new starter.

It gonna T-storm here in a little bit tues or so they predicting. I actually hope we get some rain raise the water lever it getting down here, The little glassy river i like the most gets kinda shallow when it dont rain. It was 12 -15 feet in spots last time i was out.

oldrem

Commander
I did my duties. I did my testing. I pulled the starter. Soliniod is good the motor is shorted, Welder sparks flying and it isnt trying to turn over.

Tickles me to death at least it isnt a engine and it is something relatively simple.

Well off to find a new starter.

It gonna T-storm here in a little bit tues or so they predicting. I actually hope we get some rain raise the water lever it getting down here, The little glassy river i like the most gets kinda shallow when it dont rain. It was 12 -15 feet in spots last time i was out.

Seems like just yesterday you were flooded out and the river was a mess. Sounds like the old feast or famine :(

chevymaher

Commander
THink…….....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOceeaannnnn

I do. And the admiral and I talk about it. If we ever get enough money. Florida house and a ocean going fishing boat with galley and beds. There happy I admitted it.

I ordered a new high torque starter. I paid extra for UPS it should come next week.

Yes it is feast or famine here oldrem. Now am spending more than a hour watering everything and the ground is still cracked. I grew up here. I just rebuilt a snow blower for winter LOL. tired of shoveling. Wont be long i be ordering the new full sunbrella cover and metal carport.

Love it the Admiral was a island girl. Only the best for the boats. Just last night she ask me if I ordered the starter for the boat yet. The boy and I got fish to catch LOL.

chevymaher

Commander
Well we have pushed the expiration date on the resin I had. I used it today for bodywork. LOL it was lumpy and turned blue. But it worked. I pitched the rest it was almost gone. I need to buy bondo and resin to continue patching rust on the towmaters. So shaken and well taken care of it lasted over a year and a half.

I had my mask on and was out there grinding today. Now I am itchy.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
man following your thread gives me itch to get mine done faster lol, its awesome to see everything going smooth-ish with the starter hang up. cannot lie though i would have gone to AutoZone for a starter if possible, cannot beat the life time warranty no matter what.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
man following your thread gives me itch to get mine done faster lol, its awesome to see everything going smooth-ish with the starter hang up. cannot lie though i would have gone to AutoZone for a starter if possible, cannot beat the life time warranty no matter what.

Sure is tempting but a the potential for a boat fire would always bug me and for the little extra time and money, it doesnt make sense to do anything but the right thing and use J1171 coast guard approved parts...

Not only for your own safety but the safety of everyone else on the water with you.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sure is tempting but a the potential for a boat fire would always bug me and for the little extra time and money, it doesnt make sense to do anything but the right thing and use J1171 coast guard approved parts...

Not only for your own safety but the safety of everyone else on the water with you.

idk about that.... and here is why..... when you are first staring a boat the engine bay is suppose to be vented for at a minimum 2 min..... so in theory, even if the starter was to spark from the brushes, no harm no foul..... but even in starters being manufactured in todays day and age are about a sealed as sealed can be it seems.

but i do understand your point of view, i just dont like the idea of a marked up part for a coast guard stamp..... now if you were talking aviation i would all day pay for the aeronautical stamp on those parts LOL

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure I see the difference..?

well aside from blowing up on a boat due to fuel vapors igniting from a starter, when parts fail on a plane you usually fall to a death or life changing injury while killing others..... planes fall out of the sky all the time, now i know for a fact rednecks use the auto parts store daily to fix there boat and i have yet to not hear, but actually see (or documented) a boat blow up from a non approved coastguard part.... but then again i dont go lookin for information like that, like i do with aviation.