Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
New Project????????????????
In the meantime?

Well it isn't boat related directly. I got the engine in my favorite towmater tore apart. I am about to pull the front differential. Major pain for some rusty tin. I am putting new valve covers , oil pan, oil pump, oil pick up, amd exhaust manifolds on it. I been working on the house roof and gutters now we down to painting. It isn't like I been laying here doing nothing lots of other projects. I even tinker with the boat alot. Little mods here and there. Planning on the new metal carport.

Ask for a refund and buy from somewhere else maybe?

I was a licenced mech for a long time and did this stuff for a living. I dealt with these things before. Even racing teams guys who go to college for this stuff have a certain percentage failure rate.

It is a spirit breaker for sure. But the company guy I am dealing with is being very supportive. As long as the warentee is honored. I can't ask for any more. it is a pain and alot of work. But life is tough wear a helmet.

I emailed pics of the compression test. He told me on the phone he don't think I did anything wrong.

He has been very professional in this and as long as it is handled I will use them again for other things. See Mickey and kcassels let it slip a little there didn't I. I just don't got anywhere to put another one or I be having a cuddy as a side mistress. I like the butt hut models to.

He said once this is handled they are going to start run and break in my next one so this don't happen again.

I plan for the worst. Get my mind set and hope for the best. I may be on the water this year who knows. I hope so. But I don't want the stress of it has to happen. Just take things as they come.

Right now my boat and trailer is trashed from being in the water and it needs a good bath. My brother had the idea there. I little kitchen sponge floor mop and a bucket of wash and wax. Cleans the hull easily from a comfortable standing position. Then rinse with a hose.

And a couple picks just cause the hourmeter with 36 minutes. And the horn playing the waaa-waaaa for the less than 50 compression.

I about got my mind right now. I needed a break from the wow this sux deal. Time to adjust to we back where we were a year ago. I need to find boxes to put all the parts in. The workbench is full of truck engine. I dont want to mix that stuff up. It would be a nightmare later. My tree I used to pull the boat motor is cut down now. So I got to do something to get it out. Make a gantry or take it to my buddies to pull it. Alot of standing making the noise the villagers make on minecraft. Hummmm hummmm.

Attachments

• photo313212.jpg
    photo313212.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo313213.jpg
    photo313213.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo313214.jpg
    photo313214.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
Expletives!!

Oh I am being real good. Not raising my voice haven't said a cussword. It is in there believe me.
hulk.gif
Prior to meeting this woman and having this boy. I would be flat screaming and destroying something. This is a test for my sainthood.

Since we haven't got a boat. I took the boy fishing like I promised I would sans boat. Nothing was biting. I mean nothing. I threw bread in the water to chum. Not a single nibble. Fresh earthworms nothing. Stinky catfish bait nothing. He did learn to cast and caught his first log LOL.

I talked to a couple guys they said really you to? We haven't caught squat in a couple weeks either.

We went and ate some lunch and shopped in the boat isle. I followed my sister in laws lead. I bought a sponge kitchen floor mop. 5 gallon bucket of wash and wax. Wow that is the deal cleaning river slop off of the hull. Trailer is still easier to do by hand with the sponge. Fast and easy looks like I just waxed it. It looks good sitting there,

To be honest I aint happy the outdrive is coming back off. It just looks broken like that. I am so much happier looking at a ready to go boat when I back out of the garage.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Wow! That does suck for sure! But i really think you'll be boating this year yet. I think you'll be surprised how easily and quickly it'll come back out. And then go back in when it's ready now that you've done it recently. The missing tree and having to build a gantry complicates things of course. But you're resourceful. In the end it'll be just a speed bump.

Cheers.......................Todd

chevymaher

Commander
Wow! That does suck for sure! But i really think you'll be boating this year yet. I think you'll be surprised how easily and quickly it'll come back out. And then go back in when it's ready now that you've done it recently. The missing tree and having to build a gantry complicates things of course. But you're resourceful. In the end it'll be just a speed bump.

Cheers.......................Todd

I am getting over the shell shock. It was looking better sitting to me there today. I got alot of other stuff going on. I have a constant flow of projects going on here. Not just boats. I thought the boat was done and was into several other things.

I am basically just waiting on the endoscope. get pictures inside the cylinders protect myself. Then it will come out somehow and go back for replacement. Once they commit to that stress is over.

I was at my sisters today rebuilding ash traps on a grill. Always something going on here even if it isnt boat related.

I hope your right and I am on the water sooner than later.

chevymaher

Commander
Well I got the endoscope. I took pictures and e mailed them he called me. He said if there is no sign of overheating now I am gold and it be handled. I got the okey dokey to pull the head take pictures. No blueing on the fire ring then I am in the clear of wrong doing.

They gonna send a pallet. I reserved my buddies garage to do this in pull it and put it back in.

Engine guy said send the wires starter and carb everything. They will tune it break it in and send it back. All I got to do is drop it back in then.

And it is raining of course now so I got to wait to start taking it apart.

chevymaher

Commander
Well between t storms I been working. I got the outdrive back off again. I checked its level. full so last winters reseal was a complete success.

I got the engine cover out. Chain on the motor. Motor unhooked ready to pull. Just the front motor mount is left.

I spent hours climbing trees this morning putting up chains. Had to go higher this time and span the one tree i used before and the tree on the other side of it.

If weather permits I gonna try to pull it tomorrow. I tested the branches. My son and my combined weight is 400 lbs so both of us hanging on it the tree was saying. "Is that all you got for me."

Attachments

• photo313717.jpg
    photo313717.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo313718.jpg
    photo313718.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo313719.jpg
    photo313719.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo313720.jpg
    photo313720.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo313721.jpg
    photo313721.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 4

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
How did you tighten the upper unit bevel gear tappered roller bearing package? I believe it is a very low torque and needs to be within spec or you preload them too much. To get to the shaft seal is a pita I believe. That's the only one I did not change.

chevymaher

Commander
Just ask?

I intend to once I get that far. Just judging from experience. Once I get it checked to my satisfaction. Crate it up. This be a week. 2-4 days to get there. 7-14 days fooling with it there. 2-4 days here. Then put it in. so if it all goes like clockwork I be lucky to have it back in in a month.

But it don't matter I got to wait. Like they told us in the marines. "What is the best way to find out, Wait and see"

Right now I am more concerned with evidence gathering. So I don't got to pay twice for a engine when it was their fault. I used to be a mech by trade. I seen some shady sheet.

Whoever did this engine sure isn't going to say I screwed up. He is going to try and is already trying to blame me. He ran it hot and such nonsense. He wanted to see the bellows. Done they perfect here's your sign. I got permission to remove the head if the gasket don't show signs of being hot he said I am in the clear.

But the bright side is weather is crappy t storms weeks in a row. Day I went out was one of the only decent days since then. I am even weather watching to get the silly thing out of the boat. Once it is gone it will be sunny tho count on that.

How did you tighten the upper unit bevel gear tappered roller bearing package? I believe it is a very low torque and needs to be within spec or you preload them too much. To get to the shaft seal is a pita I believe. That's the only one I did not change.

The upper taper bearing is loose as a goose. No preload. It is pushed down when the outdrive is working. The mesh between the teeth is controlled by the shims under the bottom gear. Just make sure you get those shims and put them back the way they came out. Your gold nothing changed.

You tube has a 10 video series on doing the outdrive seals. And checking all the internal parts as you do it.

I watched a few videos on setting the pattern. This isn't like a car differential. If those teeth mesh at all they saying it is good. I seen the pattern he had and though wow that is hammered. But he said it is all good.

Oh my buddy took his boat out. It wouldn't go into reverse it grinded the whole time the last 2 years. I adjusted that. He said it worked perfectly now. I am learning.

chevymaher

Commander
Is that the one that comes out with the u-joints?

Okay I know the one your talking about now. Same deal tho. It has shims. Just put them back in. Put it in a vice and crank it down to specs. I just followed the instructions in the video. It didn't bind and turned out fine.

chevymaher

Commander
It is out moved to the cherry picker. I took the head off of it. Looks like broken rings disintegrating to me. Absolutely no sign of overheating.

I talked to the man. He said he does not think it is my fault. He is sending a crate. I re assembled the motor left my flywheel coupler ignition and exhaust on it. valve cover and oil pan.

He is sending a crate. They gonna fix it start it and tune it. He said all I gonna have to do is drop it in and enjoy.

Attachments

• photo313800.jpg
    photo313800.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo313801.jpg
    photo313801.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 3
  • photo313802.jpg
    photo313802.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo313803.jpg
    photo313803.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo313804.jpg
    photo313804.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo313805.jpg
    photo313805.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dumb luck, man... Just dumb, stupid luck.

You got the right attitude - it'll be resolved when it's resolved. Sounds like they'll accept responsibility, and you won't be out much extra $$$ for the ordeal.