Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
You ever notice once you get a boat everything you do revolves around the boat?

Well this is a boat project of sorts. More how to keep it dry under the boat. brought on by this wow it is muddy everytime it rains deal.

Corner of my house it has a drain for the gutters. And natural drainage from the hill. Well right before the boat is forms a alluvial fan of water and mud. That is 6 foot wide under the boat.

I going out in a few and buy a bunch of concrete and then gather rocks. I am going to dig a culvert under the boat. Rock and concrete it in. Put flat rock across the top for the tractor to get in and out.

This is under roof and if it didn't have a creek running under there it would stay dry almost year round.

I just see it as a good move because I can get the boat in and out alot sooner.

So break out the picks shovels and axe for the roots. It is on.

In the pic was a day after the last rain on the downhill side of the boat. If you blow it up it is basically standing water. It stay dry under there if this slop dont start till after where the boathouse boat are.

Attachments

• photo310007.jpg
    photo310007.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
It's CRAZY how water finds it's way into whatever it wants.

LOL yes it is. In the boat under the boat in the garage if it rained hard enough.

In the first pic with the new drain tiles. You see where i had paving stones directing the water from the corner of the houses drain tile. Down hill farther. Before the boat that was all that was needed. It would come in the back door when it rained silly hard. It was directed right under where the boat is before the boat was there.

I dug it out and ran the new drain tile past the boat where the gutters drain. So now it wont just flood the ground under the boat and mayby it will dry and harden up. So I can get the motor in. Test is coming it is supposed to rain non stop to the middle of the month.

Like last year. river be flooded with Daniel Boone national forest floating by.

I got a bunch of rock to put in mud prone areas as well. Now i just got to watch it settling and keep it full of clay till it packs back in.

The concrete against the house is layered with concrete and the rocks I brought in. Drain tile in the center. I don't think it will wash out anytime in my lifetime.

I am old sore and in my chair now reading post.

Attachments

• photo310034.jpg
    photo310034.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310035.jpg
    photo310035.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310036.jpg
    photo310036.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310037.jpg
    photo310037.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 2

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hope it drys up for you .. my neighbors pond when it rains really hard will overflow though the middle of my property. I think I’m going to build a berm down the fence line to see if that helps ...

chevymaher

Commander
Hope it drys up for you .. my neighbors pond when it rains really hard will overflow though the middle of my property. I think I’m going to build a berm down the fence line to see if that helps ...

Thank you. My neighbor directly behind me her yard is a pond when it rains. Basically my house and 3 others were built in the natural creek bed. And like kcassels said water goes where it wants to. She does that made a ditch along the back fence on my yard. It works well it keeps water from my yard out. It runs along the fenceline. Now she got just the neighbor on the other side. It is a large flat area and the water just runs through all 4 of their yards. It is a swamp till it gets warm and dries out.

When it rains that corner of my house it produces about a garden hose on full blast worth of water. The drain tiles I put in solved the flooding at the back door. What happened was leaves blocked the path when it rained hard sometimes. And it ran right to the door.

I could see the new drain tile was working as I dug down the hill. It was draining water that was trapped there. Just a trickle but it was there.

I got to go help my brother today n his 16 y/o Son Crash's car. LOL doing goofy stuff. Did a turf job at school and got stuck in the yard. They pulled it out and the idiots had no one in the car as they pulled it out of the grass. It rolled into the school's truck. So ol uncle Randy is the one punished I got to fix the thing.

Yea I am getting fired up I want this new motor in so I can run it break in the cam. Paint the trailer and buff it. With the rain coming it is going to flood the river. Not bad like last year but it is up 18 feet from normal pool. I looked and no hurry here. It is flushing out the loose wood on the banks. It is a wood fest out there right now. Normal spring shenanigans.

Lot of guys wont go out for a couple months till this stuff clears out. I just cruise most of the time so I got time to steer. Guys like my brothers boat just don't see it and punch holes in the bottom of their boats.My buddy and I have pulled many a boat to the side doing that stupid stuff.

Memorial day is the official opening of boat season here. But the one dock does go in sometime in april. The one I use.

chevymaher

Commander
Okay today i went to the creek 10X and brought buckets of clay 2 buckets at a time. I buried the end of the pipe that was hanging out. Filled it all in and tamped it with the sledge.

Observations. Where the ditch ended it filled with water and was running out. Under the boat no longer has standing water. Past the pipes end it is still standing water. I kinda think it was slowly feeding itwater and keeping it from ever drying. At least I hope that is the case.

We got 2 days of clear skiis let the concrete get over being green. Then light rain 2 days. Then a couple more dry days. So with luck this slop will dry now and I can do this.

My brother the ray of sunshine says this year is predicted to be crappy for boating. Weatherwise on the river.

chevymaher

Commander
Wow... Fun fun.. Hope you got the drainage all fixed up.

I had a ton of regular life things today but.

I am so happy i could sheet and fall back in it. I checked the boat area. as the picture shows it is now drying fast. I checked the pipe it is full of water. Love it when something goes right.

I put tags on all my vehicles. Pulled the old one off the boat cleaned it and put this years on. Waxed it again there. Did the trailers.

And I was so encouraged the mud was drying I put the chains in the trees for the block and tackle. I am thinking after this next rain it be time.

After the next rain because right now i got a ton of work to do LOL. Cant slack and play all the time.

Attachments

• photo310109.jpg
    photo310109.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310110.jpg
    photo310110.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310111.jpg
    photo310111.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 2

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There ya go :) So you guys in the US have to renew a tag for your boats every year? How much does that cost? We Canadians register the boat in our name, make sure the registration numbers are on and that's it. Crazy

chevymaher

Commander
There ya go :) So you guys in the US have to renew a tag for your boats every year? How much does that cost? We Canadians register the boat in our name, make sure the registration numbers are on and that's it. Crazy

Here we are issued the reg numbers when you get the boat. They stay the same as long as you own it. The little square tag you update every year. It isn't necessary in my state to have trailer tags but I wanted them anyway. For when I tow out of state where they require tags. Eliminates being pulled over and harassed for no reason.

My trailer tags were 14 bucks and the boats say on the receipt nothing but I remember paying like 25 bucks in that area.

LOL it was supposed to rain all night. So I went out back to see what was going on out there with the drainage. It hasn't rained much but the biggie is it is actually drier under the boat than it was last night. This is encouraging.

Read some post and back to sleep a while. I got a doctors appointment in the morning and i am prepping a bumper for paint. My I gotta work baloney LOL.

It has been to cold for boats here yet anyway and the dock isnt in. I keep checking it is getting close. River is still way up but it is receding.

oldrem

Commander

Varies by state. Here in WI we get a 3 year tag for the hull. Nothing required for the trailer or motor.

chevymaher

Commander
That looks like a blast.. Except for your son who wanted to drown worms lol

No he actually had a good time to. There was alot of food he was all in for it.

I finally got something done. I played tractor pull at the fairgrounds. It rained last night. The drainage was working it has been drying up alot anyway, But the tractor was throwing some mud climbin that hill.

I got the motor in and it is aligned. Then I put the boat away and the cherry picker. Got the grill ready for grilling steaks.

And cleaned hair out of the vacuum. My gutters got delivered today. Now I got to do my usual work not play work.

Attachments

• photo310375.jpg
    photo310375.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310376.jpg
    photo310376.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310377.jpg
    photo310377.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310378.jpg
    photo310378.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310379.jpg
    photo310379.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310380.jpg
    photo310380.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310381.jpg
    photo310381.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 2

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
River cruisers are a blast... I did one with my wife in Pittsburgh 11 years ago.. Left from station square and I think it was like 20 miles round trip down and back up the Ohio... I'm not allowed to forget about it cuz its where I got engaged lol

chevymaher

Commander
River cruisers are a blast... I did one with my wife in Pittsburgh 11 years ago.. Left from station square and I think it was like 20 miles round trip down and back up the Ohio... I'm not allowed to forget about it cuz its where I got engaged lol

That is about how far we went. We went almost to 2-75 and back, First it went past riverfront. I like the massive diesels it has they rumble until they are under power. Then they smooth out. But idling holding it steady so we can board and get off. GRRRRRR