Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Relax! You have months to get it done :laugh:

That is what I told the admiral to. No hurry I got till the motor comes to fool with this.

They get easier once you had them a while. But i admit I love foolin with the old barge.

chevymaher

Commander
i will have climate control on my boat ac/and heat:)

I know I love your boat. Here we use them as summer toys. It is all I knew. But thanks to this site and boats like yours. I see the utility of a boat. I already wish I had indoors and a bed lol. I would go heat it up and sit in it in the mornings.

But the boat i got is exactly what i wanted. I am considering adding heat under the dash by my feet.

I just ordered the Retainer nut bearing carrier that I broke taking the U Joint out. And I hear the lower bearing carrier likes to not come out unless you drill holes in it. It was 15 bucks new so shot the wad and got the spanner nut to. I got the lower one soaking in PB Blaster now.

chevymaher

Commander
For me boating seems to be about buying things for the boat in the winter. Just to tide me over.

Boat has a excellent stereo. Sony head unit with a 780 watt kenwood amp that were factory installed. Issue is that eats battery ridiculously fast. 1/2 hour it wouldn't start. So today I got a boom box bluetooth and CD Player. Color co ordinated to the boat. It plays music from my phone so it is sweet.

For the times your sitting swimming fishing picnic ing basically the boat isn't running anymore.

And I am tickled the bumper couplers came today and they were the right kind. last ones I got were wrong I just cut it with scissors to fit.

Attachments

• photo304403.jpg
    photo304403.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Oh the things we do for our babies LOL. We are having a ice storm. I just went out and got the ice off of the boat house tarp was thick with ice. She is safe and I am wide awake now after my ice bath.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I'm wide awake just cause sleep is for the weak! i will sleep when i die!:) there are honeydo's to be done stuff to finish, walls to build to keep out the cuban tree frogs"the beagle added that last one" she got one the other day i think , lol was sick for a day :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'm wide awake just cause sleep is for the weak! i will sleep when i die!:) there are honeydo's to be done stuff to finish, walls to build to keep out the cuban tree frogs"the beagle added that last one" she got one the other day i think , lol was sick for a day :)

Anytime you guys wanna chat hit me up. Alive at work from 8:30 pm to 7;OO a.m LOL!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
we need to get a discord for us i boaters:)
for those who don't know it is a voice chat program used by gamers and others to shoot the bull with voice not text but you can also text on it as well

chevymaher

Commander
LOL well I been busy. Sometime after my last post my son says kinda matter of factly. Hey dad look at this. I just saw the tree fall on the truck. So I got to cut it out from under that. Poor Towmater. No damage I see I drove it already.

Now I got to rest snow starts at 4 and I got to battle that.

But if this isnt a testimonial to the boathouse tent nothing is. Trees down all over the place power lines down. Boat is safe snug as a bug in a rug.

Attachments

• photo304493.jpg
    photo304493.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo304494.jpg
    photo304494.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Cut the tree up and put tar on the trees wounds.

Heating the boat up it is a crisp 70 degrees in there; Drive that moisture out.

Red towmater got drove 2 days because of the tree incident. Silver towmater just got leaves cleaned off and started till she was warm.

Lookin in the boat is a mixed feeling kind of thing. I miss doing the hull and interior now but the excitement of the coming summer is there. Looking in and it is a new boat. For those debating on whether they should do a full restoration.

Answer is oh h@ll yes.

Can't you hear her.

Call of the siren from the album Ocean.

watch

oldrem

Commander
I woke up after a storm a few years ago to find a tree on my duck hunting jon boat and utility trailer. Thought I was going to have major damage to the boat. After working with the chain saw a couple hours I was shocked to find absolutely no damage due to how I had covered the boat with braces and sheets of plywood under the tarp. It did twist the trailer tongue, but was able to straighten it just fine. The wood on the trailer sprung back to shape after relieving the weight.

tree1.jpg

chevymaher

Commander
Todays adventure. I got the seal in the bearing assembly on the table in the pic. And wouldn't you know the seal set I got for the upper was missing the big O ring. I ordered it. Uh fellers that was part of the set wasn't it.

So I can't torque it but no biggie i got till end of jan for that.

I been cleaning mating surfaces in the upper case. Second pic.

Admiral needs me so I done for now. She going somewhere cook lunch for the boy make supper. You know my Beeotch Maid Duties. It sensored the B word LOL.

Attachments

• photo304647.jpg
    photo304647.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304648.jpg
    photo304648.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
I got off the lazy train and actually worked all day.

Got the upper assembled. New seals and gaskets. Tolerences were right. Done happy with that.

Lower wow what a nightmare taking that apart. If something has never been apart it don't want to come apart. I still haven't got the propshaft out. Once it is out cleaning and reconditioning the metal then seals.

I did the puller thing as described with the easy links. It straightened them right out. Second attempt I run the chain through there and bolted it. Used the driveshaft removal tool over the propshaft and the puller to hold it straight.

Makin progress. Gears bearings anything important looks good. I need a new washer that has the locking tabs on it. I mangled that one taking it apart.

Very happy with todays progress.

Attachments

• photo304760.jpg
    photo304760.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo304761.jpg
    photo304761.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo304762.jpg
    photo304762.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo304763.jpg
    photo304763.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo304764.jpg
    photo304764.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo304765.jpg
    photo304765.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2

oldrem

Commander
You'll definitely be ready as soon as the weather breaks - unlike those of us who will just be starting back where we left off :faint2:

chevymaher

Commander
You'll definitely be ready as soon as the weather breaks - unlike those of us who will just be starting back where we left off :faint2:

That was me last year remember. Transom and stringers then it was to cold to glass. I went to sewing. Like they said in another thread today. They are never really done.

It ran I had a blast now I am doing maintenance on the outdrive and getting a second engine. Old one still runs but it has some issues I don't trust it. And like Micky said it is cheaper to buy than rebuild it.

And I am out of the hull restoration money drain now. So money is freed up for the motor.

chevymaher

Commander
Well putting the driveshaft and propshaft in at the same time is a trick. One hand will not fit in there when it is a empty case. Thanks to the meats I got for hands LOL. And you need 3 in there.

All seal are in and it is together.

First pic me sticking paper towels and rags in there keep the metal shavings out of the passages and off the bearings and race left in plain view.

New water pump gaskets. It is adjusted and shifting well. Everything looks good in there. I pressure tested slightly. It held pressure. Alot better than it just running out of the upper unit and down the drive shaft no pressure needed.

That will be tomorrows project pressure testing over a long period of time. I did find another guy saying 20 lbs was the magic test pressure. If it dont leak there water aint getting in and oil aint getting out.

I like the spanner nuts measly 210 foot lbs of torque. 2 of 3 of my torque wrenches go to 140 lbs. So once it went to that put breaker bar on it and just tightened it as hard as I could done.

My third torque wrench is the sissy inch lbs one for setting rear end bearing pre load. and in this case tightening the water pump.

Attachments

• photo304807.jpg
    photo304807.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1
  • photo304808.jpg
    photo304808.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo304809.jpg
    photo304809.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo304810.jpg
    photo304810.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Very nice Chev!

Thank You.

I am very happy I tested with a gauge and it held for a half hour.

I went to wal mart and did the winter I cant go in the water with the boat boating. Shopped in the boating isle.

I got a really sensitive tire gauge. 10 lbs is like a inch on the gauge. And lube pump for parts to make the tester.

The tube that came with the pump I used to improve the one i had. It had the nice end and pump but the clear tubing was hard and needed replaced.

I used the screw in part from the new pump to make the gauge. The pressure input I used a screw out air chuck. Run the line from the pressure regulator to my paint gun set it at 20 lbs. Once there is pressure in the outdrive screw it shut unhook the hose.

It was like the guy in the video said. It was harder to seal the test equipment than testing. All leaks were in the tester. As you see by the soap bubbles in the one picture. Couple clamps fixed that.

Here are the pics or it didnt happen portion.

I am happy now the admiral wants the X Mas decorations in the yard done. and tree ready for her highness to decorate when she wakes up. She works graveyard.

Attachments

• photo304859.jpg
    photo304859.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo304860.jpg
    photo304860.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo304861.jpg
    photo304861.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo304862.jpg
    photo304862.jpg