Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Chev....keep on posting! Always good to see winter work happening.

Love this place. I be lost without it. Like Baylinerchuck said I got it bad now.

I love seeing the boats get saved now.

I was out today doing errands with my son. We were down cruising the waterfront I was telling about the upcoming adventures in the summer for him.

He is so excited to take the boat and go fishing.

You and Mickey disappeared I was like WTF.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
When I got booted from the forum Micky promised not to post anymore from his thread till I got back. I was allowed back on the 26th. I had so much support from all the guys while I was in the dark. Again thanks to all!
So I'm back.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So having your son so into it means when we are all dust and worm food. He'll end up rediong that boat again or whatever
boat. All because of the great memories you passed.

chevymaher

Commander
So having your son so into it means when we are all dust and worm food. He'll end up rediong that boat again or whatever
boat. All because of the great memories you passed.

Your right. He already is really into it all. That boat will be cared for. For a long time. He is being taught how to keep it dry and why it needs to be.

I still remember him fishing last time. He was getting a bite. Float was going under. He yelled he dad get over here something is going on. I was giggling so hard. You would think Nessie of lock Ness was coming after him as serious as he sounded.

If I am working in the boat he wants to get in and play pirate. Kids are to much. They are my anchor that keeps me from getting in trouble like before I met his mom.

chevymaher

Commander
Well I did things news worthy at least today. I put the ends on the carport/tent dealy. Keep the snow from going up under there. It isn't moving for a while just tie it to the boat.

I did a ton of yard work in the rain after that.

Then I came in and ordered a set of four winns stickers in white with the flags for the trailer. I bought the paint for the trailer before it ever hit the water in the spring. I will paint the trailer in the spring. it needs nothing scuffed and sprayed. Put on the stickers.

I bought the bearing carrier tool set. Top and bottom the big expensive guys. Upper and lower gear case seal sets.

I still got to locate the odd smaller tools and i will buy them.

Only a little over a month and i will purchase the new engine. Yea.

Attachments

• photo303914.jpg
    photo303914.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
you are never done, just post what ya do :) stay in touch so when you guys move here:)

I am thinking about it. I lived on the ocean 3 times in 3 different places. Flagler in florida a few months. I lived in calif on La Costa I could see the ocean from the bedroom window. And i own property on the ocean in the Philippines where my wife is from. We lived there a long time.

Soon as this rain stops I am going to put a heater in the boat and drive the moisture out in there.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Hahah i live a minute or 2 from flagler beach, wish they would put jettys at mantanzas and make it a more stable area for reaching ocean

chevymaher

Commander
My kingdom for a link to the coupler bumpers mine needs. they are small round fit a 1987-93 coupler. Coupler is different but the rubber bumpers are the same. I see them all over creation in the new coupler images. But no not one to be found. They want 3-4 dollars a piece. To bad I don't hit the supplier they use in china and get them for 5 cents a piece. Serve them right for not keeping them in stock.

I went to wal mart and shopped the boat isle. Went out opened the boat and sniffed her behind. Ah new interior smell.

Then I came in and been doing what I hate the most searching for things I need. I don't mind buying it is the searching that bites.

I found the drive shaft tool and bought that. I got the tension washer and lock nut. I got locktite 680 and marine grease. Outdrive to bell housing gasket.

Still hunting the shift shaft bushing tool and the bushing nut wrench.

I will re paint the outdrive yet again with bullett proof frame paint from the chevelle. The stuff you can hit with a hammer and it wont chip. Same paint i will use on the trailer. But I ordered a outdrive decal set. Now I don't got to be careful and just rip the old paint off to the metal. she look pretty this spring.

Lower unit seal set and bushings for the shifter rolled in yesterday. It happened here the pic Kcassels LOL.

I am about to call it for today. 8 hours is enough if this.

Attachments

• photo304005.jpg
    photo304005.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
Okay I am a lier lier Pants On Fire. I couldn't rest till I found it all. All tools parts and gaskets needed to reseal the outdrive are now on the way.

LOL I got a slew of out drive specialty tools now. I am going to clean out a hand tool box to put the boat specialty tools.

Now i can rest.

chevymaher

Commander
Well drained the outdrive it was low. I split the cases. Houston we have a problem. Leaking like a pig where the driveshaft goes into the upper case.

Upper seals are out for delivery.

Now just got to wait for the tools to arrive to take this apart.

All the wood laying around. I am going to fashion a sturdier stand for the outdrive to sit on.

Attachments

• photo304053.jpg
    photo304053.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo304054.jpg
    photo304054.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo304055.jpg
    photo304055.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
LOL here it comes. Winter is moving in.

I was cleaning leaves out from under the boat. First freeze is tonight. It is hard work keeping a silly boat dry no wonder they all rot. My baby staying dry tho.

2 tools came. It be a week or more for most of the junk to come. It's okay I got all winter to do this silly 2 hour job. It be fine.

Attachments

• photo304121.jpg
    photo304121.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Hello.png

Hello.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It was cold here in NJ this morning as well although not 21, I know people that would take there boats out fishing today in the OCEAN!!!!! My boating season has been over since mid October :grumpy: going out to put winter cover on later today. Stay warm!

chevymaher

Commander
Well it is miserable out and most of the outdrive stuff is here. I took the upper apart today. Remember the grease all inside the upper seal pic a few post back. Makes me feel better when I find something drastically wrong when it comes apart. Driveshaft seal was torn in upside down and missing the spring. Well that explains that leak and matches the overall condition of the rest of the boat when I got it.

So here are some pics. Tools, four winns for the trailer stickers, various outdrive apart shots.

I need to order the bearing retainer for the input. I mangled that one. May as well get the one for the bearing carrier on the bottom. They are fairly fragile and I hear already the bottom one more often than not breaks coming out.

In the outdrive case picture you can see the buckets of resin(almost gone now) and floatation foamI got a good gallon left in that bucket.

Now clean these parts up. Good news other than the burned grease from being low. Bearings races and gears seem to be in good shape.

Attachments

• photo304332.jpg
    photo304332.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo304333.jpg
    photo304333.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo304334.jpg
    photo304334.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo304335.jpg
    photo304335.jpg