Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Since the topic in this thread at least is winterization. I was draining the gas and saw this and figured it would be helpful to someone.

My pet peve with the vents on these boats is that if it rains there are two 1/4 inch straight shots into the tank for water. Humm wondering to myself why water in the tanks is such a big issue on boats. It isnt even under the cockpit cover. My aftermarket full cover is over it tho.

I took a cap off of a can of WD-40. Cut some rubber I had laying around and lined the inside of the cap. Perfect snug fit over the vent. So now water has to master the carport, the full cover, and the cap over it. Lets at least make it challenging to screw the boats motor up right?

I am going to look forward to this ceremony for years to come. Like free gas day. Owning your own gas pump.

I filled the durango and the van draining the boat of gas. I hooked the hose to the barbed fitting on the water separator and run it right out the bilge drain. To a electric fuel pump.

I used fuel stabilizer and lucas then drained the tank. Multiplier target. Boat and 2 of 4 vehicles now have treated gas. Win Win.

Since Towmater been in the background all primered and whatnot looking sad. Here is a couple shots of it finished. Rust gone and reassembled. I did that yesterday.

Attachments

• photo303204.jpg
    photo303204.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo303205.jpg
    photo303205.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303206.jpg
    photo303206.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo303207.jpg
    photo303207.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo303208.jpg
    photo303208.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Well we had a major wind storm last night. Tore power lines and poles down. I am here to testify the king canopy car port over your boat is one of the best investments. I got a hole to repair now from a branch. But the boat is fine no hole in the tarps or interior. That carport is worth every penny you pay for it.

New tarp is 50 bucks and repair kit is 30 bucks. I talked to the admiral I think we gonna do both buy a extra top and the repair kit.

It has been freezinf here almost every night I am now winterizing the yard. Unhooking and draining hoses. I just spent time on the roof of the house looking for damage. Then a bunch of time cleaning up the mess the storm left.

No power for 11 hours. It was a good one.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am here to testify the king canopy car port over your boat is one of the best investments. I got a hole to repair now from a branch. But the boat is fine no hole in the tarps or interior. That carport is worth every penny you pay for it.

Wife's been trying to talk me into getting a similar setup from Harbor Fright when they have the super coupon for 20% off. One of the few instances where she wants me to pull the trigger on a purchase related to the boat and I'm not quite ready to open the wallet up for it yet.

They're giving a chance for a light frost over the next couple nights. I think I'm still in denial that it'd be wise to winterize, but I'm just gonna crank it now and again and protect it as best I can on the off chance I can keep fishing on occasion when the opportunity arises.

chevymaher

Commander
The king canopy I got for 150 bucks. You can to if you look. I e bayed it. Drill a hole and put a steel screw in every joint. And i used cable and rebar. Tie it down. It says it is not snow rated. I had 2-3 inches on it. I just go out and knock it off or blow it off with the snow blower(leaf blower).

Guy down the street has the harbor freight one. Just pay the extra and get the good one. Girl behind me had one of this kind it lasted her 7 years.

chevymaher

Commander
Anyone who has followed this saga remembers I mentioned I imported mice with the boat. They would look at me mean when I did the demo.

Well I had mice and still do just natural like here on the property. So to avoid the chewed up life jackets and interior I got mouse killing devices for the boat.

A electronic bug zapper type and the ol regular poison type. Poison one works great I know because I have used it in the garage for years.

All part of the winterization here on the ranch LOL.

Attachments

• photo303532.jpg
    photo303532.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303533.jpg
    photo303533.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303534.jpg
    photo303534.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
dont use poison they dont die and other animals like hawks and owls can eat them and die from poison

chevymaher

Commander
dont use poison they dont die and other animals like hawks and owls can eat them and die from poison

Well I guess I will go pick up a second electric chair then.

Under bow storage has a out on the port side but the passenger side is sealed. so it needs its own.

oldrem

Commander
Smaller holes can be stuffed with steel wool - mice won't even attempt to pass through that stuff.

chevymaher

Commander
I am back to being Jethro Bodine. Studying the outdrive for seal replacement and shift shaft adjustment. I found the spanner wrench and the retainer ring spanner. What they calling the other 4 tools in the video and what they are must be different because I am not finding them. The hunt goes on. Calling it for the night tho relax so I can sleep in a bit.

Today I reset and checked the traps in the boat. Took the poison out and replaced it with the new electric chair.

It is miserable cold and raining. I know Mickey that was what she said and turned the fan off. I have a successful roof tarp patch from the last storm branch came through. It don't leak. I crawled through the boat it is dry everywhere inside.

She is so spoiled. The boat that is. Wow they get filthy just sitting outside. I will be buffing in spring. I got to paint the trailer to.

I am getting my learning materials together and looking up tools and seals to buy. I know the outdrive needs it. It has a oil cloud backing into the water. The weep hole has constant oil running out. And I did see a little moisture in the rear end grease when I drained it last year.

I can do this once it gets nasty like when iIwas doing interior last year. Until then I got other choirs to do. But it is getting close. I am arraigning the garage for this. Breaking down and cleaning and making room for the work.

Once i get this done it will be time to buy the new motor Jan. And I can get that in there cold or not. I be ready for ramps opening this year by golly.

I am demoted from ship building to simple maintenance. Part I like buying alot of new parts.

I am still out here kicking just doing different things. For purposes of this thread it is repowering yea that is what we calling it.