Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Raining like mad can't go out. So I am in the garage doing bodywork for a change. I made the peanut butter different this time wow it is easier to do. Hardener and resin mix it. Then the cabasol. Mix it. Then add the chopped stand. Talk about a time and mess saver.

Hear that micky I am doing glass (Evil Laugh) And it is boat glass. This stuff is better than the auto body variety. May just have to keep a gallon of this around instead of the waxed variety. Got plenty of plastic in a roll hanging from the ceiling.

LOL and cassells we feeding your ocean right now. Flash flood warning oh we having a good time. This winter going to be a beaut if this keeps up.

And the pic of the day. The mistress truck. Durango is threatening divorce. And Ol Event Horizon sitting in the rain. She dry inside I check every rain.

Enough play got to go back and see if the glass is kicking yet. Be ready with the razor knife for trimming.

Attachments

• photo301795.jpg
    photo301795.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
My buddy with the bayliner came over. He is a racer and has a chevelle like I do. We had them since high school 43 years ago. Anywho he has a V-8 boat as I mentioned. We knowwn each other a long long time obviously.

Well it is repowering time on my boat. It runs and all but I am gonna have it a long long time. It needs a fresh engine. I think the carb flooding pouring gas in killed it.

So my buddy knew i was thinking looking into a bigger motor. I have found several running boats I could do it with. And my other buddy said I could bury one on the farm. We would run over it with a bulldozer.

He was telling me he dont think I really want a bigger engine you never use it. 99% of the time your cruising at the speed both our boats do now. He was telling me stories of all Our friends boats and his included. Gas mileage horror stories.

He said do you want to go out twice a day like I used to or just look at it sitting there and talk about how fast it is if you could afford the gas. He misses his 3 liter and don't want me to make the 2 footitis mistake he made.

LOL he cant wait till I get mine straight so we can go out in it all the time.

Well long and short of it I am about to pull the motor and outdrive. I been shopping for a motor. I am re sealing the outdrive and painting the trailer. Still got to wax her for winter slumber.

I am at the moment working on my 2 towmaters. Undercoating and rust proofing them for the winter. Tahoe is looking alot better now.

I had a little break from serious working and played with the boat a while. Time to get back to work so I can go to lakes some next year.

I still kickin here just things that dont belong in a hull restoration thread.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
yea, thats a tough one... gas is not getting any cheaper, and you can rip around in a 17'er with a 80hp outboard, so hard to justify a V8, but I hear ya, lol... Part of the decision to get rid of my stingray and keep my bayliner was the 5.7 vs the 4.3. That being said, personally, I don't spend much time cruising long distances... I tend to like to get where I'm going fast and then hang out for the afternoon. Maybe I'll do some occasional tubing/skiing, but mostly floating.

chevymaher

Commander
I am staying with the 3 liter. Being a river rat it is very possible going 40-50 miles one way. Average cruise is about 40 miles at least round trip. To the 275 bridge is where most go to and back. There is a sand beach out there to anchor on.

If I can get the same motor I have now again just with no miles it was as fast as his 8 was anyway. Odd thing about boats. When the power doubles the weight does to. Bigger boat weighs more. Net speed gain zero. Unless you got a Baja with a supercharged big block like my brother. Then your crankin. But 375 dollars a tank that last a few hours.

I imagine mine will spend most of its time pulling skiiers or tubers. If i want to die I can ride in my brothers. I want to use it alot. I mean probably every day weather is permitting for a long time. I need mileage. I can't see burning a tank a hour when I can go all day 2 days on a tank. Especially seeing as how normal cruise speed is the same either way.

In both boats we did 25 mph for most of the ride. Only kicked it long enough to see the number and say we did it then back to cruise speed. Cruising along listening to the radio and shooting the bull.

I rode in and drove his boat a 23 foot bayliner. And I rode and drove my 17 foot four winns. Really not a big difference. Going that fast I just use alot less gas. I was pretty happy going that fast.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
These guys put a Duramax in a Mastercraft X-80. Lot's of videos on youtube about it. I think I looked at their build site a year or two ago.

chevymaher

Commander
Well just for sheets and giggles when I was doing my boat. I made test pieces in various stages of encapsulation. Well the raw wood looks rough of course just laying on the ground all this time. This one had csm on both sides and the ends raw. This is what I found the other day.

So it don't take long for a factory boat with all that exposed wood to develop rot. The blackened part is laying right where on its end. Wet ground when it rains.

Attachments

• photo302827.jpg
    photo302827.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 3

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
Do you have a rough estimation on the material you have used? How did you glass your stringers? Two tabs on the bottom and another one over the top?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Raining here.. Costs......I need an accountant. Another cost. After some point most don't care.

chevymaher

Commander
Do you have a rough estimation on the material you have used? How did you glass your stringers? Two tabs on the bottom and another one over the top?

I CSM'ed over the stringer on a bench. It was completely covered. In the boat CSM tabbing then 2 layers of 1708 tabbing. In my thread somewhere there is the stringers going in and the crazy amount of glass I used doing them.

So far i got right around 2500 in it. Interior wood glass the whole nine yards. In the hull that is.

Like kcassels said I stopped caring now I am buying all kinds of stuff I don't need but want. Depthfinders and fishing tackle. wet suits fins mask and snorkles. In a month or so I be re sealing the outdrive. There some new tools I got to buy. New engine in jan. LOL I just bought a second truck to pull it with. Just in case the first one dies.

The fun never ends.

chevymaher

Commander
We got a frost warning for tonight. So I had to get my butt in gear and do some work on the boat.

Prop back in Davy Jones locker or the chevelle trunk to you and me. Where all the boat extras and parts go.

Outdrive off and safe inside.

I got the floor covered in towels keep er clean. Engine is disconnected completely. Gas line blocked. Motor mounts loose but there still. Chain for pulling is on the motor.

It was still raining so climbing on a ladder and hooking the hoist up can wait.

Can't paint because of the rain either. You can see towmater still needs color put back on in the one spot. No rust anymore tho.

The Repower and outdrive sealing has begun.

Attachments

• photo303026.jpg
    photo303026.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo303027.jpg
    photo303027.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo303028.jpg
    photo303028.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo303029.jpg
    photo303029.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 4

chevymaher

Commander
Well it is out. Drained the gas out of the tractor. Took the battery out of the tractor and tarped it for the winter. Still got to drain the boats gas.

Attachments

• photo303133.jpg
    photo303133.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo303134.jpg
    photo303134.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo303135.jpg
    photo303135.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo303136.jpg
    photo303136.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I need to do this tomorrow! Calling for a low of 33 tomorrow night... too close for comfort!

chevymaher

Commander
I need to do this tomorrow! Calling for a low of 33 tomorrow night... too close for comfort!

It was 34 this morning. But it all good now. it is all safe. I do intend to drain the tank but it has stabilizer in it. I just rather burn it in the trucks and van then it just sit. Fresh gas in the spring. I got a electric fuel pump so it isn't a biggie doing it.

Now tomorrow it is supposed to be dry and warm. Get the primer on towmater in paint and get the bumper back on. I got a bunch of yardwork getting ready for winter. Taking in bulbs.

It is alot easier than last year this time tho. I about got this old barge whooped into a regular boat now.