Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
This is what i been up to. Went and put in this morning this was the photo op. TowMater no more rust in the quarter you see the tailgate or the rockers you don't see unless the doors are open.

And the depth finder is mounted now. This was sitting in the landing about to start. Works running and turning so it is a successful mounting.

Garage is alot better tool put up. got a dedicated boat area now. Boat rates high it commandeered part of the chevelles space.

Attachments

• photo299614.jpg
    photo299614.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo299615.jpg
    photo299615.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
hahahah made ya feel guilty enough to clean up work space huh :) you was like, if micky is gonna clean his i betta clean mine:)

chevymaher

Commander
hahahah made ya feel guilty enough to clean up work space huh :) you was like, if micky is gonna clean his i betta clean mine:)

You got it. It gets cleaned once a year need it or not.

Oh it isn't over yet. I got to move the van and chevelle out and scrub the floors. Admiral saw what I did do and had to assert her authority.

I usually have to do it about once a year. Vacuum up the spider webs in the ceiling. It is silly clean for a week. But if the admiral is happy the (wait let me look what am I now) lieutenant is happy.

chevymaher

Commander
It aint a bad smell but I can see why they stress washing the boat off going from lake to lake, I was working walked around the corner of the house. Breath of fresh air. LOL smells just like the river back there where the boat is and the ground stays wet.

Anyway I was away from home working and picked up a new to me Hand held portable CB Radio for the boat. I tested and it all works. I like the weather channel it has. Now i need to put a power outlet in the boat for it. Just in case the batteries go down.

Attachments

• photo299777.jpg
    photo299777.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Harbor freight has rubber wheel chocks with eye bolts in them for 15 bucks. I snapped one of those right up.

Attachments

• photo299901.jpg
    photo299901.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1

Baylinerchuck

Commander
My F250 started getting the dreaded cancer. Looks like I’ll be looking for a rust free bed. New trucks are stupid expensive. I’m not into making mortgage payments on a vehicle.

chevymaher

Commander
Well it is raining and going to be raining. There are flood warnings out. And it is cold now. I guess mother nature is saying nicely boating is over for w awhile now here. LOL

I ordered a block and tackle chain hoist. I was monkey boy in the trees got a chain up in there now. Got my own gantry going on in the yard now.

chevymaher

Commander
Same here Monkey boy! Keepin at it you are!

Yep plan is this winter buy the tools and disassemble and inspect the outdrive. It seems fine except it leaks oil. And that means water is going in to. Just do it and get it over with. We got the 5 part video series as a learning guide.

I talked to the admiral and cleared it with the upper brass. I am getting a new engine in the spring. Reason I am preparing the gantry.

My tractor mover around deal works like a charm. Takes me a half hour to get it on the truck and be ready to roll out of here. Not to shabby considering the obstacle course I got to deal with.

I remember wondering how i was going to get it out of there at all.

I had alot of fun this year. The old motor is just worn out. Got blowby. Time to get the next phase of restoration under way now the mechanicals. And paint the trailer.

No hull leaks everything works electrically. Depth gauge works like a charm. I am happy with it so far. I am in and out of the water launching fast now. I got handling the boat in the water down now. I am still learning first boat. But I have come a long way since the first splash.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Sounds like a great year of learning for you. I wish boating season would have been better this year. Too much rain and colder river water than normal. With this rain moving in it’s like Mother Nature is saying to put the boat away.

chevymaher

Commander
Sounds like a great year of learning for you. I wish boating season would have been better this year. Too much rain and colder river water than normal. With this rain moving in it’s like Mother Nature is saying to put the boat away.

I hear you. I was thinking the same thing. Mother nature said you had enough fun for one year.

I was digging and putting mud and rock in the diverter for the water. It rained hard here last night. It washed out the last diverter and flooded the basement.

I looked the river is supposed to go to flood stage again. And it is cold for this time of year. Not boating weather by any means.

I was looking at the boat and laughed. Mumbled it is a good thing you are attached to the tractor or you would have floated off last night.

I checked boat stayed dry inside.

I know there probably wont be any more boating after this. Temps are going down soon.

Then wait for spring as I brush the snow off the boats house.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been reading through your entire restoration a few entries at a time for the past week or so. Congrats on a job well done; makes me feel good about what can be done with hard work and perseverance.

chevymaher

Commander
Been reading through your entire restoration a few entries at a time for the past week or so. Congrats on a job well done; makes me feel good about what can be done with hard work and perseverance.

Thank you. It is worth it. I see you doing yours and I remember it all. When it is over the biggest worry is checking to see if it stayed dry after a storm

chevymaher

Commander
River isnt supposed to crest for a week. And it will be at lower flood stage. This is a marina near where I put in at.

Attachments

• photo300844.jpg
    photo300844.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
LOL yea I think it is all over but the crying for boating here this year. I just looked at the weather and till the end of the month thunderstorms. The hurricame rolling in isnt nothing by the time it gets here. But it is a bunch of thunderstorms.

My chain hoist came yesterday. It was mangled from shipping. Metal outer case bent up. I just tuned it up it is fine. It is a one ton 30 dollar job. Has 89 inches it will lift. they say 8 foot I count the actual difference in fully extended and pulled up. But it will lift the motor miles above the boat it will work fine for what I will use it for.

So once the rain and mud dries sometime this fall. I gonna pull the motor and look at it. Take the pistons out keep it for a parts engine. I am getting a re manufactured engine. Another souped up 3 liter. Same cam I used and ported. With warentee. 3 liters actually run real good when they had their coals stoked some.

My boat which is 17 foot 7 inches A 17 footer to you and me. Ran the same as my buddies bayliner with the 305 V-8 in acceleration and top speed. His is a 21 footer and weighs a ton more. Kicker is my boat is rated for 2 more people. I know it be a dog loaded down and it wont ever have that many in it.

As I mentioned before my safari van has a modified Mercruiser 4.3 crate motor. Those run stupid good with very little done. Porting is all mine has done. I have a 65000 volt HEI and a elderbrock 4 BBL intake for a 6 banger down in my part engine parts shelf.

See Micky I wasnt lying. This motor still runs and does everything it is supposed to. I am getting something anything lined up to put in. As long as it is new. This one got me through the summer and i got to play I am happy with it.

I wish I could stumble across a set of exhaust manifolds and assorted parts needed to change it over. For less then the cost of my first born sons soul.

So Like all boats and car projects it is never really finished. They get to a certain point then start evolving into something else.