Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Well rained all day today. I read the manuals on the depth finder installed and wired it. Except the transducer which I have to go anchor to get in.

It is run to the back and I have a piece of yellow masking tape on it where I have to hold it over the side. I still have to sand the bilge paint off for the testing. Nobody panic I will paint it back to the edges of the transducer.

Now in all the videos I know why new boats have the annoying beeping when you turn the key on. It is the depth finder booting up. I got it now to.

I going to put the 21 prop on tomorrow for whenever it stops raining sept or so LOL.

Attachments

• photo298221.jpg
    photo298221.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo298222.jpg
    photo298222.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
I just heard the replicas of the Nina and Pinta will be on the river aug 30-sept 14th. That be a cool time to go out.

chevymaher

Commander
You'll know you're in trouble with all that rain when it's Noah's Ark on the river :)

LOL ain't that the truth. At least we can't boat in the stadium parking lot anymore.

I spent the day yesterday getting ready for tomorrow. I am taking my son to the newport aquarium today. But tomorrow and the next day it is supposed to be clear. River level been dropping for 3 days so debris should be lower.

I sanded the hull for the transducer testing. Got the cable marked for dipping in the water. They said use 40 grit paper. I tried that on a block sanding it. Not happening. I went with a scotch brite pad on a air angle grinder. That made short work of it.

It sits flat and don't rock now. Then I scratched the surface up for the 2 part epoxy.

LOL boats are a major change in life. I got the second truck now for towing it. I mean OMG what if something happened to the first one. No really the dodge is doing the chrysler thing and rusting out bad and the motor is having oil pressure issues. I will hang with it as long as she lives but the Tahoe would tow to florida no problem. dodge is local only.

chevymaher

Commander
I went early this morning. The depth finder worked over the side fine. Not on the tabbing on the transom. So prepare another spot for another test.

Water was glassy smooth when I was cruising. Sound is terrible in the video from the wind. In real life sounded good to me.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice video and congrats on the 2nd splash. That river is super flat, here at the New Jersey shore it is never that flat. I went water skiing a few days ago, and it was calm but nothing like that river, I would love have a chance to ski in flat glass water like that.

As for the transducer in the boat, I glued mine down using silicon bathroom caulk, but note it will not work bedded in what ever you chose to use (you can not just place it in the bilge on the hull). In my case with the caulk it did not see then bottom(depth) until the caulk was dry. I liked the caulk since it is not permanent and if the location was not good it would be easily moved or removed so I could take the GPS out if I ever sold the boat. I read on another forum to use Fun-Tak (blue stuff for hanging stuff on walls) as a temp method of attaching the transducer but I could not get this to work. Also note that in my other boat when I attached the transducer in the hull with caulk it was in a location that would get water when it rained, this broke the caulk down and I no longer could see the bottom, but a couple $$s for a new tube, re bed the transducer and I was back up and going again of course after it cured. In both cases I was installing a transducer for a GPS/fish finder combo unit but I see no difference in bedding a depth finder transducer.

My Sea Ray has a factory install depth finder that has a transducer glued to the bottom and it is some serious hard epoxy I am guessing. It works but unfortunately the lens on the display is all messed up and it is un-readable. I am waiting to see how yours works and is installed as I was thinking of replacing the original, even though my GPS shows depth there is a hole in the dash for it.

chevymaher

Commander
The licking has 2 things. Alot of debris when it rains. But the payoff is when it is right it is glass. That is why I like going real early. Nobody making waves yet. Ohio is generally choppy all the time. Alot of boats barges and paddle wheel boats.

I am getting better already. trailering and backing. Handling the boat. Hell I even remember to unplug the trailer lights and put the bilge plug in now.

chevymaher

Commander
I know one thing. I can see why a boat would rot if it was kept in a marina all the time. Interior was literally wet from dew when I was done yesterday. Today clean the interior. White is horrible showing dirt. Check oil and look the motor over. See what is going on. Look for a new spot to sand for testing the depth finder. in the bilge.

I need to start shopping for the tools for the outdrive. Like i said it needs its seals replaced. It is clear when you put in. The oil slick coming from the back of the boat LOL.

I have graduated from hull issues now and moving into restoring engine and drive. Mechanical things. Making progess at least I get to enjoy the silly thing. My buddy said i am moving into the world of normal maintenance now which has all been neglected a long time on this boat.

chevymaher

Commander
Well todays adventure took the carb off and disassembled it. I went to start and looked into the carb gas was literally running into it. It did this for a couple minutes untill the pressure in the system was used up.

I ordered a rebuild kit with the brass float since they said the factory float that absorbs gas sinks after a while. I found crap in the needle valve and the float is the poo-poo style.

So back to bodywork on Tow-Mater until the kit comes monday. It is supposed to start raining all week end starting tomorrow anyway.

chevymaher

Commander
Carb kit arrived last night. We got a childs BDay to go to today.

It has been raining here like crazy. Bad enough it flooded in the back door of the basement. On the way to the admirals work the creek flooded and there was wood in the road. So if that is any indication I got a little time before I can go out again anyway.

Brass float and all new internal parts and gaskets.

chevymaher

Commander
Okay today got the carb together adjusted and on. It started needed a timing change. Seems to run well. Need to set the idle up fool with that tomorrow or the next day.

I was messing with the water bag method for testing the transducer. It leaked so on to the next bag LOL.

As usual for this year about the time the river clears it will thunderstorm some more. Killin me.

Since the boat was flooding like crazy I got a case of oil. I was down to 2 gallons. And I am sure the oil in the cankcase is diluted with gas from flooding. I got the flat tappet zinc additive again for it.

And my van needs changed in a thousand miles, Tahoe is a computer monster and needs a certain oil so it can tell you it needs changed and it is about ready. I got to drive 10 miles to get these filters for everything. Wix are the best. 51069 is the filter number for the 3 liter. They say they don't have one for it. Same filter as a old chevy.

As you can see I bought stock in oil today. I should be good on all my toys till spring sometime now.

Attachments

• photo299053.jpg
    photo299053.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo299054.jpg
    photo299054.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo299055.jpg
    photo299055.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo299056.jpg
    photo299056.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Lots ruin old engines not adding the zinc, roller engines are great for that respect but bring their own issues lol

chevymaher

Commander
Okay meanwhile back at the ranch. It just start thundering and raining so I tarped up the boat. It is ready for another excursion on the river once it quits raining a couple days.

Over the last 2 days I made a oil changing device for the boat. Used my vacumm pump a helium container and what ever junk fitting I could pirate form my junk pile of A/C and air compressor parts area to make it work.

Yesterdays attempt it worked but the vacuum was collapsing the plastic container.

Oil got changed. I adjusted the choke and idle.

Now I need to get the tools out and clean the inside from working.

Once i get a day of boating in I will work on the truck some more. Rockers are fixed and about ready to paint,

Attachments

• photo299231.jpg
    photo299231.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo299232.jpg
    photo299232.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
Oh boy. Remember this is ky and no matter what the weather says it is just as likely to snow as do what they say. It says a week of no rain. Wow really enough time for the debis to wash away before the next rain. I can't believe it