Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

cassadypaul

Cadet
Do you have the bellows expansion tool? I hear it helps pull the exhaust bellows onto the gimbal housing. I haven't done this yet but I will be in the future. I am planning a restoration on par with yours minus all the upholstery work in the near future.

chevymaher

Commander
No I don't have the tool I was cave manning it. I got it to stay on now. Secret seems to be jack the trailer way up in the air so the outdrive can be put fully down. It has stayed all day now which is a big improvement usually after a couple hours it slides off on me.

I got the trim sender set. I found the instructions online. I set the limit switch by the gauge which was a inch and a quarter short of the directions measuring the ram. Doing it their way put it in the red on the gauge.

Then I got the shift cable adjusted so it is going into both gears correctly.

Then the jet skii is in the way of parking the boat with the trailer. Making a hard left turn at the end getting it in. Going in was easy. Backing it out was a pain. So move the jet skii and it is a straight shot in and out.

Then I had to pay the house so I took the truck and put gas in it. So when the opportunity arrives to go leak test I am ready. I am loaded down with work and the admiral is working. I got stuff piled up for a week.

But as soon as nobody is looking i am sneaking to the lake with a hand held mirror and a flashlight. This trip no engine cover in there. I think it was the water supply line. we will see.

I don't got pictures of work sorry mad props it didn't happen. But i got pics of the jet skii movement. Yuo can see how much easier it will be backing the titanic out.

And of course the ominous rain moving in behind the truck LOL.

Attachments

• photo296864.jpg
    photo296864.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo296865.jpg
    photo296865.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo296866.jpg
    photo296866.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I found the trim adjustment and printed it last night. So today adjust the shift cable and the trim sensors. I got to torque the hinge pins.

Last nigh I was showing my buddy the work when he came to borrow a tool. Damn exhaust boot came off. Hate that thing whoever designed it needs a jick n the nuts. Put a groove to hold it until the glue dries like the U joint bellows. So I guess I get to screw with that.

Are you talking about exhaust bellows? There should be hose clamps on either end to secure them. Glue and clamps make them permanently sealed. Maybe dumb questions, but you are using clamps and Quicksilver bellows glue, right? U joint bellows have 2 clamps on the Gen I, but have one clamp and one compression ring on the gen II.

chevymaher

Commander
Are you talking about exhaust bellows? There should be hose clamps on either end to secure them. Glue and clamps make them permanently sealed. Maybe dumb questions, but you are using clamps and Quicksilver bellows glue, right? U joint bellows have 2 clamps on the Gen I, but have one clamp and one compression ring on the gen II.

Yep quicksilver bellows adhesive and 2 clamps. And yes the exhaust bellows. I left the outdrive down so it should be there still. And it is a gen 1 outdrive.

My niece had her husbands car towed here last night. I got to work on that. I told my niece your killin me here. I was going to float and leak test today. How am I ever gonna be able to take you guys on the boat if i am working on your cars. It is a push button start deal and it wont start i cant wait to deal with this.

chevymaher

Commander
I give up screw the bellows I had it on 4 times correctly. Adhesive my rear end that stuff is lubricant that lets it slide off. Exhaust tube it is.

I fixed my nieces car and then went with my buddy in the bayliner on the river. Wow there are trees floating down the river today. Mrs. Puff gave me my driving lesson. Here is a few shots of Cincinnati so it did happen.

Attachments

• photo296984.jpg
    photo296984.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo296985.jpg
    photo296985.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo296986.jpg
    photo296986.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo296987.jpg
    photo296987.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
Okay Titanic take 2. Now I know where it is leaking. Had a flashlight and a mirror. Lower thru bolt. Easy enough on my way out to take it out and properly seal it.

And joke of the day. I forgot to put the plug in this time. LOL wow that is alot worse. I got it before it got to the starter tho. What a clown that was you tube worthy there.

chevymaher

Commander
I will sure be ready for the real launch after this. On this lake you literally got 6 inches between the holes. On the real ramp you got 40 feet to hit.

Attachments

• photo297030.jpg
    photo297030.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ha! My Dad forgot the plug once in his Malibu...and he fully launched the boat and took off. Then he realized that the bilge pump was just running wide open. Saw that he was taking on water. Fortunately, my uncle ran over to the ramp and backed his trailer in, as he raced across the lake. At speed, it takes in less water. I'm sure it was a sight to see, and I bet he came into the no wake zone pretty hot! :) But the boat didn't sink. And a lesson was learned...always check the plug(s). I check mine even when I know they haven't been taken out.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been reading through this a few pages a day and wow. I have a question though - how many yards of vinyl did you end up using roughly? I have about the same amount of stuff to recover and hadn't started taking it apart yet so I don't have any good measurements, but was curious. I'm trying to find the right supplier for the best cost, but not sure how much I will need.

Thanks

oldrem

Commander
I've forgotten the plug twice in my life, about 40 years apart. Last one in the dark in freezing waters for early morning duck hunt. That one almost killed us.

chevymaher

Commander
alabamanewby I would have to look through my notes. I made 3 trips roughly 300 bucks worth of materials.

And it is now the Mojave Desert in my bilge. I just re tested not a drop. I was literally giggling and dancing in the boat. I had to wait for 2 canoes to put in this time

chevymaher

Commander
I promised myself I would wait till it floated. It does now. Don't need a depth finder if it is gonna sit on the bottom. I just ordered the hawkeye depthtrax for her.

chevymaher

Commander
I been stripping and sealing a deck. Today I had a B Day party to go to so I got out of working.

I cleaned the interior and got the nasty hand prints off of everything. Put the engine cover back in.

Started it Wow they sound like the engine blew up when the drive isn't adjusted correctly. Due to putting in the new lower shift cable.

Watched instructional videos a while on how the cable system works. Got that all adjusted. LOL now I learned how it is I can fix my buddies bayliner. It has a going into reverse issue.

3 pumps she fires right up every time cold sitting a few days.

So it should be ready for more dangerous waters now. I got to pay my dues for the landing. I am supposed to work tomorrow. Don't matter the city building isn't open till monday. I got a couple more days of work before I can ever get time to try to do this.

I been doing body work like I said on the tow vehicle. I bought masking tape clear hardener and base coat. I laughed and told my wife. I think i just do alot of this to have something to occupy myself. Boat wasn't done a flat second and I am tearing into some thing else.

chevymaher

Commander
Well this is like doing glass work in the spring. Weather is not with me LOL. T Storms for a week it says.

On the bright side I was doing other work and looked at the boat. All I could come up with to do to it. It fill the tank up next trip it makes out.

I gonna head outside and put the full cover on it for the rains.

Is this thing splashed it been in the water 3X. It don't leak now.

oldrem

Commander
Well this is like doing glass work in the spring. Weather is not with me LOL. T Storms for a week it says.

On the bright side I was doing other work and looked at the boat. All I could come up with to do to it. It fill the tank up next trip it makes out.

I gonna head outside and put the full cover on it for the rains.

Is this thing splashed it been in the water 3X. It don't leak now.

If you call it splashed - it's splashed as far as I know. Congrats Officially!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nah... It's splashed when you make some runs and feels GREAT!
I have a yellow ducky in my tub, does that make it splashed?
Oh yea.. don't **** off ducky;
Congrats!

BigMouth-Inc-Rubber-Duck-Pool-Float-IRL-4.png

chevymaher

Commander
Nah... It's splashed when you make some runs and feels GREAT!
I have a yellow ducky in my tub, does that make it splashed?
Oh yea.. don't **** off ducky;
Congrats!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.bigmouthinc.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/BigMouth-Inc-Rubber-Duck-Pool-Float-IRL-4.png"**[/IMG2]

LOL okay so as soon as these next t storms move through then.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey Chev... At the end of the day pat yourself on the back {when none is looking** and say to yourself.."Look what I did."