Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
I got the bell housing off now. And the shift cable out. I must say there is nothing as rewarding as knowing nothing your spending ungodly amounts of time taking apart. Had anything wrong with it, and your spending money for nothing and chicks for free.

Pic at ten when I get to a computer that the site likes.

Gonna clean up these parts for new rubber and paint the insides get the nasty stopped at least do something constructive.

oldrem

Commander
I got the bell housing off now. And the shift cable out. I must say there is nothing as rewarding as knowing nothing your spending ungodly amounts of time taking apart. Had anything wrong with it, and your spending money for nothing and chicks for free.

Yep - almost as bad as going to install a new part and find out it was screwed up in manufacturing and no way to make it work :blue:

chevymaher

Commander
Well here are the it didnt happen shots. I got the bellows surfaces clean and the corrosion sanded smooth ready to paint. I was closing up for the day and the mail lady had the parts.

Buddy with the Bayliner came over. His had a freeze plug go bad. He fixed that. He going to take me out on his boat when this rain stops.

Attachments

• photo296540.jpg
    photo296540.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo296541.jpg
    photo296541.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo296542.jpg
    photo296542.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
Well the first thing that gave me the warm and fuzzy feeling happened. The thru hull/gimble fitting for fresh water to motor. I just got it on. Before went together and I could screw the bolts down with my fingers. Hose flopped around.

New bushing I had trouble starting the bolts because the rubber held it out so far. Hose is tight in the fitting. Got my fingers crossed that is the leak.

Here are the apnting the parts pics promised.

Now back to assembling things in the rain. Under the tent of course.

Attachments

• photo296623.jpg
    photo296623.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo296624.jpg
    photo296624.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo296625.jpg
    photo296625.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo296626.jpg
    photo296626.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 3

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just wanted to add don't forget the shift shaft seals on the housing, they were a cause of a leak on a freinds boat.

chevymaher

Commander
Just wanted to add don't forget the shift shaft seals on the housing, they were a cause of a leak on a freinds boat.

Thank you and oh I won't forget it. It is next in the line up. Just got the water supply line on the bell housing,

LOL I keep playing tag with the weather, I work till it is raining to hard and run inside
what i am working on is covered by the swim deck and tent but from the waist down laying there working I am on my own

chevymaher

Commander
I would rather grind glass than deal with exhaust bellows. My own personal boaters hell. It goes out again it is getting the boot.

I got it back together now and the hydrofoil on. Got to adjust the trim sensors and shift cable. Don't matter it is supposed to rain a while anyway.

Attachments

• photo296762.jpg
    photo296762.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 3

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We got rain in the NJ forecast for like the next 10 days. Going on vacation to the beach next week, my wife is freaking out. Doesn't mother nature know we only have limited weeks of boating here in NJ.

I think someone mentioned the exhaust tube instead of the bellows. I used the exhaust tube mine which avoided lots of blood, sweat, tears and stress. It might be slightly louder then with a bellows but the wife has not complained at all. That is always a good thing. Your almost there keep on keepin' on.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
We got rain in the NJ forecast for like the next 10 days. Going on vacation to the beach next week, my wife is freaking out. Doesn't mother nature know we only have limited weeks of boating here in NJ.

I think someone mentioned the exhaust tube instead of the bellows. I used the exhaust tube mine which avoided lots of blood, sweat, tears and stress. It might be slightly louder then with a bellows but the wife has not complained at all. That is always a good thing. Your almost there keep on keepin' on.

Try and get seperate rooms!;) Same here in pa.

chevymaher

Commander
I found the trim adjustment and printed it last night. So today adjust the shift cable and the trim sensors. I got to torque the hinge pins.

Last nigh I was showing my buddy the work when he came to borrow a tool. Damn exhaust boot came off. Hate that thing whoever designed it needs a jick n the nuts. Put a groove to hold it until the glue dries like the U joint bellows. So I guess I get to screw with that.

I am moving my brothers jet skii it is in my way getting the boat in and out with the tractor. And Now the boat is moving around I noticed it isnt moving when it is raining it is to muddy for the tractor to get traction.