Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Alt is in and it is charging. Temp gauge is working. I am learning the boats personality now. I had no issues warming it up. 4 cylinders with cams sound silly until they clear their throats. I put the rear seat in.

I got to put the tie down for the dog house adjust a couple things and it is done. Right now the admiral and I are mealying when she works so I can take it first to float it at the lake a mile away. No motor there. Just check for leaks and practice backing. I never did this before. But it is a nobody goes to it lake.

Once that is over to the river to pay my fees for the landing there.

It starts and runs fine. Just got to play its silly little game till it is at 100 degrees. Let it idle at 1100 rpm till it idles up bump it back. Then next time it is crispy and go to normal idle.

Getting close.

cassadypaul

Cadet
My 3.0 is very cold blooded. It runs on three cylinders for a few seconds after a cold start. Once it’s warmend up it starts right up no problem.

chevymaher

Commander
Well it was in the water it leaks. Not a happy camper.

Attachments

• photo295727.jpg
    photo295727.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 2

cassadypaul

Cadet
Sorry to hear about your leak. I think my engine cold starts so hard is oil vapor blow by out of the valve cover. I think it collects in one or two cylinders after a time and the engine has to clear it out before running smoothly. I always find the throttle plate covered in oil at the end of the season.

chevymaher

Commander
I been looking. It is dust every where behind the engine no trace of where it is coming from. It is a steady trickle.

I been looking everywhere online. Biggies are U Joint bellows and shift bellows. My exhaust bellows ripped in half from having the outdrive in the up position. I had grease colored spot in the bilge fresh not dirty grease the color I just put on everything.

I just looked at the exhaust bellows and it is cracked to kindom come in the grooves.

So I guess the outdrive is coming back off tomorrow and look into the bellows for water.

cassadypaul

Cadet
If the exhaust bellows is cracked I guess it is likely the rest are in the same condition. I always store my drive as far down as I can so the bellows are in a relaxed position.

chevymaher

Commander
If the exhaust bellows is cracked I guess it is likely the rest are in the same condition. I always store my drive as far down as I can so the bellows are in a relaxed position.

That is what i figure to. So I found my hinge tool and repair kit. Now remove the outdrive and verify it has water in there. Order the parts move on with life.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Did you remember the drain plug? Lol jk.. seriously tho.. sorry about the leak... got me nervous about what I'm gonna find on my splash haha

chevymaher

Commander
Did you remember the drain plug? Lol jk.. seriously tho.. sorry about the leak... got me nervous about what I'm gonna find on my splash haha

LOL yes I remembered the drain plug. Matter of fact that was the first thing I took out when I pulled it out of the water.

One thing I am sure of I flat suck at backing a trailer up.

I just ordered the tool and the transom repair kit they call it. 3 bellows and gaskets.

I guess the old bunkers will be made into a outdrive stand tomorrow.

I just found a video on replacing the seals in the alpha. I am sure I will do that this winter while i am bored.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I always replace all the rubber that far i to it, hindsight is always 20 20 su ks but its really minor so you be set :)

chevymaher

Commander
I always replace all the rubber that far i to it, hindsight is always 20 20 su ks but its really minor so you be set :)

My wife ask why I didn't do it already. I said it is my first boat nobody warned me and I had no clue it is my first boat. I was a little over whelmed learning other things when the housing went on.

Since it will be all apart may as well paint to protect the inside parts of it. Things I couldn't get to before.

Now i spent several hours learning about bellows and other various outdrive issues. Like i said I am scheduled myself to do new oil seals for this winter I am sure they need it to.

cassadypaul

Cadet
I have the factory service manual for the generation one alpha and the 3.0 engine if you need it for reference.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Side note, you already bought the kit, but I personally like the exhaust tube versus the bellows... 1000 times easier to put on, but not a big deal.

chevymaher

Commander
Thank you for the offer cassadypaul I appreciate it. So far I am finding the answers online. Just take a few to find them.

Mad Props I want the boot on it. It is a sleeper 4 cylinder. Quieter the better.

Well it has been a hard frustrating day, I built a stand for the outdrive to sit on. And to hold it while installing it next time.

I know there was no water in the u joint bellow. Looks like the shifter one was good also. I am going to have to get a new lower shifter cable. The one on there they cranked on the clamp on the engine end. It is not coming apart without cutting it. And i sure am not going through all this and not replacing it. That boot i mean.

I had grease in the bilge when I whiped it up. Trail comes from the drive shaft to the exhaust. I have no leak on the muffs so the exhaust and cooling system is sealing. It is dry inside the driveshaft bellows. Well not dry grease but no water.

I inspected both boots unless the u joint boot was torn where I tore it ripping it off it looked good.

I took the through hull fitting the water comes through out. It had a cocoon on one side and looked like mud/dirt something under the seal. Seal is hard as a brick and the pipe flops around when it is tightened.

It was a drip drip drip sound when it was in the lake so it was coming from up higher. Like i said almost everything except that one area is covered with a fine layer of dust. If water was getting to it that would leave a mark.

I am leaning toward the thru transom/hull fresh water supplyseal at this point.

chevymaher

Commander
would suck if all that and it was the hose clamp from waterpump to hose :)

And that is what sucks to. All this and never knowing what it really was. But as long as it stops I am okay with it. I am taking today off. I got a swollen finger and no hinge tool yet anyway.

Seems ol rocket scientist me smashed my finger in the gimble flipping it back and forth.

But i will use this opportunity to clean and paint the parts I couldn't get to before. Make them last longer.

One big relief is now i know It isnt to bad getting this thing in and out of my driveway. The little tractor moves it pretty good. I talked to my buddy yesterday who was a truck driver all his life. He retired now. He is giving me tips on backing a single axle trailer. It is different than the dual axle car carriers the only thing I ever used.