Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
It is alive. calling it a day. I got to look into the tach not working it is stuck at 5 grand like when I got it, But it had a extra wire that was broke off thinkin find the other end of that. Temp gauge isnt working and it isnt charging. But it ran great.

Got to adjust everything and tune it.

oldrem

Commander
Glad it fired right away for you - one more check off the narrowing list.

chevymaher

Commander
Glad it fired right away for you - one more check off the narrowing list.

Thank you it did to. Cranked fired. I retarded the timing a hair. Poured a little gas in it. Fired right up and ran started to run out of gas caught and idled. I let it run 15 minutes at high idle break in the cam and lifters I did use the break in oil.

Once it was running it fires up no non sense right now.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
please tell me you remembered to hook a hose to it :) the rpm wire should be grey going to tach , the alternator might just be as simple as ignition wire not contacting the gauge

chevymaher

Commander
Yes I filled the hydraulic fluid on the trim. Got it lowered so not to strain things. I did have a pair of muffs on it and a hose before it ever started.

Most of the morning was filling fluids and getting the rams on the outdrive once the pump had fluid in it. Then wiring issues. I never saw any of this before. Starting it was basically lets see. I was already done for the day. It was just a bingo wow fired right up.

Mine is the goofy generator deal not a alternator. If it isnt working then it is about to be a alternator tho.

It isn't the gauge. I had a tester in the boat and the gauge read what the tester did. It is running 12.4 volts from a 12.58 starting charge on the battery.

Temp gauge is right on the T-stat I will test it. I just hope the tach is okay. Kinda be hard to get this particular style one.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow Randy...I just went back and re-read page 1 of this thread to see how far you've come. It's been a journey and you're so there now. I can't wait to see pics from on the water.

chevymaher

Commander
Wow Randy...I just went back and re-read page 1 of this thread to see how far you've come. It's been a journey and you're so there now. I can't wait to see pics from on the water.

It was totally frickin junk huh. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world tho.

I got yelled at today tho. No noise tomorrow while the admiral is sleeping. She works night shift. That specifically means no starting the boat and making vroom vroom noises LOL.

I will be playing with wires and testing things. trying to track down the issues I found.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
there is a place in Daytona that guy has a ton of old new gauges, might be able to find you your match if i see a close up pic and you see you need one usually just replace all gauges ,most boats i mess with are 30 yrs old so i don't put much faith in the originals:)

chevymaher

Commander
It is a 30 year old boat. I wont be racing or anything so if they just work is good enough. Here is a pic of the gauges when I was fooling with the speedometer making sure it worked. Tach and temp are the 2 not working. Everything else does.

I can get better pics after I get the admiral and go out to the barge.

Attachments

• photo294987.jpg
    photo294987.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
I got the gears or whatever you call them working now adjusted. Forward and reverse. Temp gauge is only the sender. It works fine. So we down to the tach. May have got fried when the pertinex shorted.

It is hot as heck and I am taking a ice water break.

CaptNewbie

Seaman Apprentice
Hey chev, mine has the same gauges it looks like. I don't know what condition their in but if you know a way I can test the tach you can have it for shipping, I'm going to go a different route if I ever get around to starting.

chevymaher

Commander
Hey chev, mine has the same gauges it looks like. I don't know what condition their in but if you know a way I can test the tach you can have it for shipping, I'm going to go a different route if I ever get around to starting.

I Pm'ed you.

chevymaher

Commander
I am not sure what is going on with the generator deal. It read lower on the battery running than it did when I tested the battery out there. It showed a full charge before I fooled with things.

Stereo works. I think it is original to the boat to. Judging by what they say they came with and the way it is tied into the original wiring.

I rode and got my exercise. I know it is nice it would actually do the boat thing outside of the charging ordeal. Next time the admiral will let me make some noise I am going to set the idle and look into the charging again. I got a alt saved in my notes somewhere. I may just get that. I got the one i made for it. But it isn't marine and a fire hazard.

Anyway don't matter it is getting close. Thing eating up time now is waiting for parts as I discover I need something.

Soon as the boat is finished i am replacing the bunkers and painting the trailer.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i used the 100 amp alternator on the last 3.0 i had worked great with all my electronics :)

chevymaher

Commander
i used the 100 amp alternator on the last 3.0 i had worked great with all my electronics :)

That is what i got from a astro van. It was brand new to. But it isn't marine so it don't have the screens for the sparks. I put the Vee belt pulley on it. It fits I had it on there on the engine stand when I first got the engine before I had the boat. Then someone balled me out and made me look that stuff up. What parts are marine and what safety features they have and why.

There is a good video on that guy explains which parts are modified and how to prevent fires.

Captnewbie is getting digital gauges so I am getting his originals. With luck the tach works. I am about to make my parts list up. Order the temp sender. I got to find the link I saved for the alternator. It is a marine one and it is a 100 amp. It was 65 bucks and not 260 like some I found. I will test more on the generator situation.

I need to get my locks to while i am making the list. Hitch to receiver lock. Lock for the trailer. And the prop lock. Tired of taking this stainless prop off when I am finished fooling with the boat. And it is about to get a lot more expensive prop than that once I dial it in and find out what this thing needs.

The motor was idling at 2500 or so just a guess. It was on the setting from the last motor ( this one in stock form) It is a healthy sounding thing. It sounds like the ones in the videos. Anywho it clearly has much more power than it did. The Frankenstiening was a success. It has a 17 prop and came with a 19. I thinking it is going to be way to small now. I am sure he put the 17 on to waterskii. I am sure it is going to want a 21 or a 23 prop now.

Admiral is off work so I can start it today. I got to cut the grass. I want to get the idle set and the throttle cable on. I got to fix speaker wires that got pulled loose on the amp when I did the hull. Then then back seat and engine cover go in permanently. So I will be putting their hinges on.

I had the cockpit cover off on the ground. For those interested. The vinyl dye paint stuff I used. It discolors where it gets folded alot but it is still decent looking. And alot better than the nasty white spots with black circles from the rotting leaves the previous owner left in it.

I did put the quick disconnect terminals on the battery. The little wing nut guys.

LOL I walk past the boat now I pat the swim deck and say Good Boat.