Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You can doit!! Huh,,wait You did do it!

images

chevymaher

Commander
The cam hasnt shipped yet so I am basically in a holding pattern. I got this riding mower missing the deck for free yesterday. I am going to see about hooking the boat to it for moving it in the back yard. Make it easier to line it up in the driveway. I am gonna fool with this today see what I need to do to it.

Tire has a plug and leaks I got a good battery. It does start right up and run. Hopefully it has a good granny gear. Well I going out to play.

Attachments

• P_20180604_204623_LL-640x640.jpg
    P_20180604_204623_LL-640x640.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0

oldrem

Commander
The cam hasnt shipped yet so I am basically in a holding pattern. I got this riding mower missing the deck for free yesterday. I am going to see about hooking the boat to it for moving it in the back yard. Make it easier to line it up in the driveway. I am gonna fool with this today see what I need to do to it.

Tire has a plug and leaks I got a good battery. It does start right up and run. Hopefully it has a good granny gear. Well I going out to play.

Bought my John Deer mainly to do the same - works great for moving my trailers. The plus was it came with the big leaf catcher attachment for getting the 6 billion leaves off my lawn in the fall.

chevymaher

Commander
With the motor gone it had a incredibly heavy tongue weight. It was giving. I am sure they never meant for it to move that much weight. I added metal and straps to the hitch area.

Tires on the trailer were 2 inches into the ground and the mud had long dried and hardened. No problem spun and pulled it out. Once it was free it has no problems moving it around.

Still no word on the dist gear and cam.

Attachments

• photo292421.jpg
    photo292421.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo292422.jpg
    photo292422.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
Dist gear came. Outdrive gaskets should be here today. Cam finally shipped yesterday and should be here tues they say.

I replaced the pump on the compressor yesterday and did yard work. Just keeping busy till the parts arrive.

chevymaher

Commander
Geez, aren't you done yet?!

:laugh:

I wish I am dying to start something else. Like the trucks bodywork. I put the distributor together yesterday. I been hunting all the parts that are lost and setting them out for re assembly.

Right now i got to go work on my sisters lincoln see why her A/c isnt woking

chevymaher

Commander
:eyebrows: The bilge looks nice!!! Real nice!!

Thank you. I been doing yardwork. Putting up a trellace for the wisteria to climb on. Working on other things making a little money. I am in here all the time but nothing to report.

Boat is actually being used for more of what it is supposed to be used for now. My son uses it for a playground now. In the picture he says he is taking over the world in his pirate ship. I just like sitting in it and relaxing.

Since for all intents and purposes it is finished. Everybody has been coming over to see it.

Cam and oil pump are both due to get here 6ish tuesday.

Admiral was asking just today. I guess I had enough rest now. When I am putting the engine together and if I got everything I need to do it.

I was out earlier studying the logistics of getting it out of the boat house and turned around. I think it it taking a trip to my buddy's garage to use the ceiling gantry his garage has. 4 ton chain hoist on rollers on a I beam. Much as I hate taking my things out. This seems unavoidable.

Once I use the tractor in the drive to see how this is gonna work. Buy gravel put it in the appropriate spot and move the carport/boathouse where it needs to be.

Attachments

• photo292760.jpg
    photo292760.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
I accidentally did something today. I was in the boat it started raining real hard so I covered it back up.

I put the outdrive back together with the new water pump.

I actually did it twice. The expendable metal's bolt has to be in there before you put the halves together. I will be quicker next year now that I know how it is done tho.

Attachments

• photo292812.jpg
    photo292812.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo292813.jpg
    photo292813.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 3
  • photo292814.jpg
    photo292814.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
Okay I started the morning in a more productive mode. Parts coming lets get ready.

I torqued the crank. Put gaskets on the combo exhaust/intake manifold. I mixed my magic elixer and put it and the gas in the carb with it to soak. Put the head on and torqued it.

About that time Santa came twice. Cam timing gear, oil pump arrived. I put the valve cover gasket on the valve cover with ultra black. Snugged it on the head. Got the side cover on just letting them relax into position.

I got the oil pump on and the pickup. Then a buddy came I sat and cleaned the oil pan and shot the bull.

Attachments

• photo292898.jpg
    photo292898.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo292899.jpg
    photo292899.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo292900.jpg
    photo292900.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
There aren't enough lobes on that cam!
:laugh: JK

It is what it is.If we gonna be dicky I wish I had enough money for a half million dollar yacht. I didn't have to work on it I just got in and went on a world cruise.

What is for lunch. Oh your baking timing gear deleicious.

chevymaher

Commander
Well today was nightmare on elm street LOL.

Baked my gear at 500 degrees as instructed. Woddruff key popped out and was lost for hours.

Well got it on finally and it wouldnt go in. Soon as it got to the gear it hung up. I fooled with that a couple hours.

Finally i got pissed just pulled the timing gear off and put the original one on. Went in like butter.

After that I got a little done. I got the timing cover and oil pan on. Then adjusted the valves and put the side cover and valve covers on.

I opened the box that I put all the junk that was in the boat when I got it out. Looks like i got everything to put the motor in and outdrive on.

Couple more things on the motor and unbury the cherry picker to put the flywheel and starter assorted stuff like that

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
SOUNDS LIKE YOU MOVING RIGHT ALONG ! ugh capslock , whats the cam set for rpm wise? low rpm hi torque or hp hi rpm?

chevymaher

Commander
SOUNDS LIKE YOU MOVING RIGHT ALONG ! ugh capslock , whats the cam set for rpm wise? low rpm hi torque or hp hi rpm?

It is a very mild cam 216@50. Avertised power is 2-6000 rpm.

According to desktop dyno. With porting I loose 6 lbs torque at 2000 and peak torque is now 5000. In my reckoning that is about right. A boat is basically a stall speed converter the prop slips to 2500 no mater what you do taking off. At that point it has tons of additional torque over stock. It has 100 ft/lbs more at the top of the range.

So where it needs it the most cruising speed it is way beefed up.

It is a mid range cam with a very broad flat torque band. Same size as mercruisers V-6 V-8 cams.

Guy in the Netherlands has a marina and modifies 3 liters all the time. It is what he uses. The ones he build run like scalded dogs. There is one guy in the US who has a video of one running with this cam. Another guy sells them with this cam and pocket ported. He guarantees 185 HP.

Here is one of the Netherland guys advertisement videos. I can live with it once it is sorted out.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
nice, didn't know they had a mid range cam for the 3.0 imho for me id want good idle for trolling but great mid range, not going to be redlining it that often to worry about but i wanna pull stumps if i want to :)

chevymaher

Commander
nice, didn't know they had a mid range cam for the 3.0 imho for me id want good idle for trolling but great mid range, not going to be redlining it that often to worry about but i wanna pull stumps if i want to :)

Right that was my plan just more power over the usable range. Okay it will go to 6 grand. It isnt going there tho. Here is a idling video. I did my homework LOL. Sounds fine to me. Thinkin it wont stall in gear and it wont be idling much with me. Landing 30 foot to the open river.