Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
CM, i'd recommend coating the bilge area with something. Best bet would be my cheap Rustoleum formula. Fully cured resin will NOT absorb water unless it's underwater for a LONG time. But any extra waterproofing barrier is really a good thing.

chevymaher

Commander
5 boxes of stuff came just now. Unfortunately the cam won't get shipped till next week. I pretty much need it first to put this together. Oil pump would be nice about the same time LOL.

I got the Pertinex. Flametp thrower coil. Cap rotor and wires. Gaskets. Waterpump for the outdrive. The engine alignment tool.

Like I said the cam lifters, distributor gear, and oil pump are needed to start putting this together. I can put the head on tho.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
paint that bilge and stop being a slacker ... who runs around with a naked bilge! :)

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Lol.....I’ll pile on with the bilge painting!!! I did mine in bright white gelcoat, it did wonders for me Phsycologically. All that nice clean bright white....man oh man!!! Still looks beautiful to this day.

chevymaher

Commander
I been jerking around with the wiring. I got the ignition switch hooked up. It is a trip test with the electrical tester run in the garage and test the wiring to the motor harness.

I got horn, bilge pump, fume pump working. Ignition is in permanent now. I got power to coil and starter relay. Dash lights work. Radio and amp are not I am looking into that now. Amp is taking big volts when plugged in. Radio dont do squat. I got to find a schematic for this radio to continue testing.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
That they are, I love the enthusiasm over here on this side. I've been on the fence about it for a while. It's really nice your wife is on board, pun intended. Mine is pretty adamant about not having a boat sitting in the yard of our new house. Most of her boating experiences have been sitting in the middle of the lake waiting to be towed in so I don't know that I'm going to be able to convince her that boating is actually fun.

The interior on mine is pretty much non existent and the 3.7 is locked up. Not that any of that is a huge deal. I'm thinking about trying to find somewhere to store the hull and part the 3.7 out till I can convince the Admiral I can return it to its former glory, like you said I love the style of these.

What you need is a place to work, and a friend with a boat that doesn't conk out in the middle of the lake. Why? you need to spend some "fun" times at the lake with your wife to prime the pump, get her excited about spending the day on the lake in a reliable boat. Then, you need to get to work on the Horizon starting in September. Even if you have to put it in a storage unit near you house, you could work up there in the evenings and on the weekends. A card table and pop up table as a work bench, just get all of your tools and supplies there. Having a place to work is key . I hate working on my boat in the driveway vs in a workshop / garage.

I have HUGE admiration for the guys who are doing this resto work outside under an ez up, etc.

chevymaher

Commander
What the double hell is that about??? Just paint it............God you rebel. lol!
Go jerk some paint in there while your at it. :watermelon:

LOL I am looking at doing it. Just don't panic. I got some clear coat in the garage left over LOL.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just thought the same thing. LOL! I hope his dog pees on it first. :)
Or the neighbors cat.
That was "Good One."

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Rest up you ole fart. You've been wearing yourself down. You definitely keep me at task with all your work. :D

chevymaher

Commander
Yea got up no fever and don't feel like 10 mile of bad road. Admiral said I am cleared to return to boating.

I got to re assemble the front end on the 2015 suburban so I can get paid for it. But then i can fool with the boat again.

I decided I will do the bilge so no one has heart failure. I will do the engine cut out in grey like it is a big ship. After reading the final straw was if it is leaking oil or something it shows up on the paint.

I saw the new bayliners had grey in there it did look nice.

So Once I am done working i will at least go get the paint today. Cam should be shipped wed. I been eyeballing the yard. I am going to need a few loads of gravel for parking the boat soon.