Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Problem seemd to be whatever whoever used as a second layer. sand to metal reprime and no issues. I did use the first paint again the epoxy paint. Lower out drive turned out good,. I am sanding the upper now.

The second layer of paint is literally rolling off when you sand it. What ever it was it never hardened. new paint on top of it was just rolling it up

chevymaher

Commander
Well at least you got a break. Positive the finish will be awesome now.

LOL yes I am in a much better mood now. I got it sanded now I got to clean and mask it. Took longer more details and corners on this piece. It is going to T Storm so no rush. I can't do it indoors the chevelles paint isn't having it. Or the admiral for that matter. Go hang it from a tree like a true hillbilly once it stops raining tomorrow it says

Parts should start coming tomorrow. I got a couple little things already. The gimble exhaust seal. So I may be putting that pipe on tomorrow if it is still raining.

My buddy with the bayliner I showed a picture of. He is getting a new truck. He promised to take me out in his boat this week to tease me. Bring it on big boy.

I got the lower unit hanging by me drying it looks sweet. I took pictures it dont look any different than the picture I showed last time. Just trust me it looks a billion times better up close.

chevymaher

Commander
Good thing this is a boat LOL. I painted the upper outdrive. And of course it started raining when it was hanging there. I rushed in and blew it off with air. Looks fine it obviously already flashed.

But here is a pic terrible as it is. They look good now i am happy with them. No chips, no painted over chips, and no pits, no wrinkling in the underlying layers of paint. Nothing just look normal.

It look fine to whoever is sitting behind me in traffic on the trailer now. Look like it belongs on that boat.

First box of stuff came. Rotor button, oil additive for breaking in the new cam. And the fuel pump. 2 boxes tomorrow it says on the tracking.

Attachments

• photo291757.jpg
    photo291757.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
My battery box and the new vents came. So I be fooling with that stuff next. Right on time to it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow. And that is indoor work. In the boat under the tent.

Bring the cord and computer and sit in the new office and enjoy my morning coffee tomorrow morning. I already donated a phone charge cord to permanent residence in the boat.

chevymaher

Commander
I dawned on me you may have thought I meant the vents on the boat. Those were sanded and repainted last fall. They are dusty but look new. I going out to put this stuff in. Get creative and not put screws in my new transom doing it either. Then the battery and see if anything electrical comes to life.

Attachments

• photo291797.jpg
    photo291797.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
Since I am in the boat i got my real computer with the image reducer. So I can post on the fly LOL.

Anywho for those who love misery here is the hang up. Not a biggie just a pain and slowing me down. The bottom of the keyhole is to tight for the exhaust so in the garage for a dremel and get my new interior dusty. Then glass that mess and seal it.

But I did get the vents all done before the hammer was dropped on my head.

Attachments

• photo291822.jpg
    photo291822.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo291823.jpg
    photo291823.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3

CaptNewbie

Seaman Apprentice
Hello chevy-maher from a former Portsmouth neighbor. I just spent the last two days reading about your journey and and all I can say is,, wow. Awesome job and I can't wait to see it completed. I recently inherited an 87 190 Horizon in worse shape than yours was and found your thread. Long story short the Admiral and the guys over in the engine forum have convinced me to not pursue that big of an undertaking😞. I will definitely continue to watch your progress and dream and ask myself what if lol. Keep up the good work

chevymaher

Commander
Looking pretty tidy there

Thank you.

Now just resist setting tools and bolts in the drain coming from the tank. And FYI the exhaust bolts are not magnetic. How would I know you may ask?

I got the pipe fitting now. Wasn't so much the wood but the 10 layers of glass I put there LOL. I got to mix a little and seal the bottom of ythe keyhole. Then I can finally get this thing in and finish trying things off in the back of the motor compartment.

chevymaher

Commander
Hello chevy-maher from a former Portsmouth neighbor. I just spent the last two days reading about your journey and and all I can say is,, wow. Awesome job and I can't wait to see it completed. I recently inherited an 87 190 Horizon in worse shape than yours was and found your thread. Long story short the Admiral and the guys over in the engine forum have convinced me to not pursue that big of an undertaking😞. I will definitely continue to watch your progress and dream and ask myself what if lol. Keep up the good work

Thank you.

Ah I don't even go to the engine forum. They are negative nellies. Just put your fingers in quotation marks in the sky and say MARINE and you are always right LOL. I almost didn't join the forum because of reading the stuff they say there. I stumbled on this portion of the forum hull.

It is like a completely different site. Your boat, your call, and nothing but support in what you want to do with "YOUR" boat. Something they forgot in engines. We are all not here to make money but to enjoy a hobby. Building boats is practically free compared to old cars and alot less work.

So if you like owning restored classics get a grinder and make your home in building and hull repair. Miss the Bossy Bub tell you what to do portion of the program.

Can't be any worse than mine was. Unless hinges and things are missing, I replaced everything.

I know i am biased I got one. But they are just such good looking boats. Like the old POS chevelle I got. Is it worth all the turmoil fixing it. Only you can say. Me it is worth every itch cut and scratch.

I have not even got it on the river. I would do it all again. I think I got the mickyryan disease.

chevymaher

Commander
Are you going to paint or gelcoat the bilge and transom?

Little late now that it is together i sure am not taking it back apart. It has 6 extra layers of glass it didnt have factory. Ondavar said it be just fine.

It made it 30 years the first time with zero care sitting in the rain with no covers on it. It wasnt put together and saled like it is now. I will be 90 in 30 yearsd. For my purposes it be just fine I think.

CaptNewbie

Seaman Apprentice
Ah I don't even go to the engine forum. They are negative nellies.

That they are, I love the enthusiasm over here on this side. I've been on the fence about it for a while. It's really nice your wife is on board, pun intended. Mine is pretty adamant about not having a boat sitting in the yard of our new house. Most of her boating experiences have been sitting in the middle of the lake waiting to be towed in so I don't know that I'm going to be able to convince her that boating is actually fun.

The interior on mine is pretty much non existent and the 3.7 is locked up. Not that any of that is a huge deal. I'm thinking about trying to find somewhere to store the hull and part the 3.7 out till I can convince the Admiral I can return it to its former glory, like you said I love the style of these.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Might still be worth coating what you can get to with some urethane tractor paint or something. . I've noticed when I get water on raw glass it tends to blush which to me means its absorbing a bit. . And it's good now but eventually your bellows will leak or you'll forget the plug and its gonna get wet....

just my opinion, I just figure its a 2 hour job while the motors still out. .

chevymaher

Commander
I got the exhaust on and the vents in the final position. I figure since the fumes gather low and are the danger. Put the pump out on the low side. The other side is dumped up high. And the battery tray in. Then I had to quit and cut the grass.

Attachments

• photo291847.jpg
    photo291847.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo291848.jpg
    photo291848.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 3