Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I also built a gantry, so far I used it to put the 7.4L in my Sea Ray, and did a motor swap in a friends Sea Ray. Next up is a engine swap in the Invader once the Sea Ray is in the water. Looking forward to your engine build.

chevymaher

Commander
Yep guess I need a gantry.

I was at the cemetery all morning with my son and the boy scouts. We were putting flags on the veterans graves for memorial day.

I reckon I be putting the valves back in that head first tomorrow once things settle down here.

chevymaher

Commander
Thanks for your work at the cemetery.

Welcome.

Just trying to teach the boy right. He got a pretty sharp salute now to.

We found the grave and put the flag up. Then we stood and saluted them. I made sure he knew without their sacrifice we couldn't enjoy the freedoms we have.

Talked about the different wars they were in. Oldest one was a US Army blacksmith. He shoe ed horses for the army it said.

chevymaher

Commander
My wife works night shift so we got screwy hours sometimes. We were up real early this morning last night to most normal people. I went down and went to work about 3 am.

I got the head assembled. Valves back in it.

Then I cleaned engine tins and bolts a while. Timing chain cover and lifter covers.

Then took apart the outdrive.

Pic one ol Patrick lookin rough.

I am not looking for perfection but better than it was. It has several layers of paint over chips without sanding. And some pitting. I put the JB Bondo on and will sand in the morning.

I made a trip and got engine block paint. And some epoxy paint for the outdrive whenever I am satisfied with it.

Attachments

• photo291488.jpg
    photo291488.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo291489.jpg
    photo291489.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
For anyone who cares about the little pits in the aluminum. JB Weld as bondo ordeal I am worki g with. After trying all the different papers I have. 60 grit aluminum oxide paper for rough shaping by hand. Then 600 wet sand.

It is the painter curse then. The area worked on is so much nicer than what never had anything wrong. Dont do it it is sucking you in. This thing is literally going to be drug through rocks and mud. It be just fine LOL.

Really rhis is really easy in the grand scheme of things

I got to go to the memorial day parade the scouts are in it then back to this when i get back

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
It's like pressure washing concrete. . You get the wand really close and realize how clean it can get and then 10 min in you realize how long its going to take but you need to finish or you'll have one really clean spot lol

chevymaher

Commander
Ever have one of those days. Today is mine. I will never use that brand paint again. It pulled up the underlying paint and wrinkled it. Okay I suck that gonna be alot of work. And the engine paint did the same thing on bare metal really stop before you destroy something. water grill something deal with it tomorrow

chevymaher

Commander
Okay now that Charlie Anal left and I saw my therapist. I sanded the one side of the lower unit to metal all over. I resprayed it. it looks terrible to me but like I said it going to me drug in mud and rocks eventually so good enough. Alot better than what it was before.

Upper unit is good enough for gov work. Better than chipped all over like it was. At least it is all black again.

I will not be using this paint on the trailer. I will use the hot rod black a much much better paint. Wish I had bought it instead of this stuff. Sometimes better the devil you know.

Attachments

• photo291592.jpg
    photo291592.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo291593.jpg
    photo291593.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo291594.jpg
    photo291594.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
pulls into chevy's hood, asks group of guys ,
Me: you guys know that chevy guy?
them : aint he the one with that /gasp pitted outdrive,
everyone nods in group and points down the street and snickers..
looks nice painted man:)

chevymaher

Commander
pulls into chevy's hood, asks group of guys ,
Me: you guys know that chevy guy?
them : aint he the one with that /gasp pitted outdrive,
everyone nods in group and points down the street and snickers..
looks nice painted man:)

Thanks.

I was just having one of those days. If I can get the other side that good. Put it back on the boat and I will never see it except hitting it with the hose.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Don't wanna be the bearer of bad news but bare aluminum should be painted with zinc etching primer first.... aluminum immediately oxidizes and just about nothing sticks to aluminum oxide. You might get a season or two out of it but it'll eventually come off in sheets

chevymaher

Commander
Well isn't.that just a ray of sunshine first thing in the morning. I got the etching primer and sand paper. Waiting for my paint store to open in the parking lot. Getting thinner and the paint I should have used the first time.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry lol... You could just leave the lower bare aluminum and make it look like an X drive haha

chevymaher

Commander
I already sanded off what I painted yesterday. I am working now for a while. But I am stripping them both start with a fresh mess

chevymaher

Commander
I stripped the lower unit. Primered it. Problem is solved no pits at all and no issues.

I learned painting a long time ago when the lifting happens strip it all off.

I will strip the upper tomorrow and prime it.

The paint is a compressor and spray gun 3 part epoxy paint. So I will wait and paint them both together. It is a pain in the rump cleaning the gun out. I got a gallon of laquer thinner for the gun cleaning.

But there will be no issues with this paint. I use it all the time. Expensive paint but you get what you pay for. Last time I paid for alot of extra work LOL.

Attachments

• photo291671.jpg
    photo291671.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo291672.jpg
    photo291672.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 2

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
You don't mess around lol... You went from paint, to no paint, to primed in like half a day.. It takes me like half a day just to get motivated enough to go out to the boat...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Well isn't.that just a ray of sunshine first thing in the morning. I got the etching primer and sand paper. Waiting for my paint store to open in the parking lot. Getting thinner and the paint I should have used the first time.

sorry man' i would have warned ya but figured ya researched .. wont make that mistake again ill try to spread the know how around more:) you using urethane on the outdrive after self etching?