Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Woof woof dog! Boy everything looks GREAT Chev!

Thanks.

It is looking like a boat now again very exciting. I want to put interior in. But i can't rush and do the last little details right or it will suck later.

I just went and checked it is dry enough to work with. But I got to do other things, I will return to it in the morning. I got to get the engine cover sitting flat on the deck. Get the 2 side deals tabbed in. Small details on the edges of the lower engine cover with CSM once it is shaped correctly. Like i said most of it i think is just flash holding it up in spots.

I got over a half a bucket left I should be good to go for the duration now. All that is left is waterproof the seat bases where they touch the floor.

chevymaher

Commander
moving right along now eh?

Yes sir. Today adjust the deck and or the engine cover so they match. In the center toward the tank there is a gap. Combination of flash on the bottom of the engine cover. And both sides of the engine cut out are reinforced with so many layers to strengthen it. I got to add a few layers on that inch wide strip across there I think is the deal. Clean up and seal the edges of the cover and it is done as far as glassing.

The side pieces. They are open in the front. Seems factory they held the boat bow up to add the foam. I got to close the front in to add foam. I be making those pieces and tabbing that in once I get them lined up to my liking. They are a balancing act and like to fall if the boat even vibrates. I think a touch of hot glue to hold them in place while the tabbing goes on.

Take the seat bases off for water proofing and test fitting in the boat.

Yesterday afternoon/evening. we had graduation ceremonies for the admiral at the college. I understand she worked hard for it. But wow killin me the different long winded people making speeches. I would like the thank my gerbil that ate half my ham sandwich who gave me the drive to finish kind of stuff.

In other news I sat at the ceremonies with my mom and dad. Mom likes the boat top. She cant be in the sun anymore. So she is tickled it has it. I guess she was booking reservations to go to the restaurant at the marina when the water taxi is finished. Meet at the landing. 15 minutes ride to the marina have a meal and isle chit chat about what a rotten kid I was. You know normal family stuff. It will make them happy tho.

The admiral heard me talking about the boat on the phone last night. She said that is why you are not ever sleeping; You so excited about the boat. Well sweetie the boat isnt going to build its self LOL.

I am about coffeed up and ready to go hook the lights up. I like there is no more heater needed tho.

chevymaher

Commander
Well I am just the Resonator. I got about a gallon or 2 left. But all structural and floatation is complete now.

In the video or picture. I added the smaller triangular section at the bottom of the side panel so they would hold literally more than twice the floatation foam that was in there originally. The cupholder does fit and the drains do work. I did have to dig them out tho.

The pics of the engone cover i ground the dry out and CSM'ed it. CSM'ed the edges. I made a mold and filled it with chopped CSM and resin then laid a piece of CSM over that to make it perfectly flat. I put it in afterward to check. It lays flat and the gap issue is gone now. I just got to clean the edges of that mess up.

Tomorrow I get to clean up the left over foam mess. I did get the majority up when I cut out the cup holders.

A little video of the foam being a volcano LOL.

Attachments

• photo290228.jpg
    photo290228.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 6
  • photo290229.jpg
    photo290229.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo290230.jpg
    photo290230.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo290231.jpg
    photo290231.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 6
  • photo290232.jpg
    photo290232.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo290233.jpg
    photo290233.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo290234.jpg
    photo290234.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 6

chevymaher

Commander
Don't look like i did anything in the picture. But i was out there from 5 am till a little bit ago when I stopped to water the gardens.

I sat with a assortment of files and cleaned edges and made sure everything fit together with the carpet in the gaps and the seams would look just so.

I got the engine cover straightened out it sits perfectly flat now.

I sat forever and filed the cup holders in the side panels. Made sure they fit snugly with the carpet in the holes. I fooled with the drains alot I opened them way up inside there.

I predrilled the tank cover for the center braces so i know they are hitting and not deflecting where they shouldn't be.

I vacuumed and cleaned a good hour.

Basically handling all the little details that it would be to late once the carpet went in.

little more water proofing on things and the glassing will be over.

Attachments

• photo290304.jpg
    photo290304.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 5

oldrem

Commander
Nice work. All those fine little details are time consuming and seem to take forever, but so worth it when you look at the finished product.

chevymaher

Commander
This mornings adventure was cutting 1/2 inch strips of CSM to seal the edge of the tank cover and the edges of the skii locker and the tank opening. Now we will see if I allowed enough for the carpet once this is done.

Once the glass hardened I went in and cleaned up the edges. Nothing more was needed. So I ran the vacuum and sponge and water in there to clean it.

Then i cut the first piece of carpet and I been wrestling that alligator trying to get it to lay flat and trim it in correctly the way they had it originally.

It is a beotch trimming in the bow storage section. It isn't glued down yet but it is coming along. I will glue the 2 storage lockers first before moving on.

I got called off for admirals day. Or was that mothers. We are going to the scenic outlook. If i cant be on the river i can at least see other people enjoying thier boats.

Attachments

• photo290368.jpg
    photo290368.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo290369.jpg
    photo290369.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 6

chevymaher

Commander
hate carpet and glue is just ...

Glue and expansion foam are kindred spirits. It your next to either of them it is all over creation.

I was crying because doing the bow storage was well you know a nightmare. I got the main piece in. And all the others cut.

I finished waterproofing the edge of the lower engine cover. And the one interior piece I needed to do.

I started cutting carpet so as not to disturb the main section of carpet and allow it to dry.

Tomorrow i get to do a bunch of little stuff. First thing before it gets hot I am going to do the top sections under the side panels.

It is a miracle I didn't get glue on the carpet anywhere or put a massive wrinkle in it. I am just happy the frickin bow storage nightmare is over.

Attachments

• photo290470.jpg
    photo290470.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 6

chevymaher

Commander
I know carpet is despised because of holding water and causing rot. But it lasted 30 years sitting in the yard in the rain with no covers on it. I went through ridiculous changes sealing this thing. I will religiously wet vac the carpet and it will be kept dry.

I just love the look and the feel on the feet. In 30 years I will be almost 90. I accept it and just got to have it in there. It is the way it was factory. I am trying to replicate what it was as best I can. I want it to look like it came from the showroom floor earlier that day its first time out.

Believe me it will be well cared for the rest of my life.

I already been down stairs looking planning what to try to get done today.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Chevy, I also like and plan on re-carpeting my Coronado (some time off in the future lol) and feel that it will last a good long time in the way I take care of a boat. The advantage we iboats guys have over new construction is that we rebuild our boats with rot prevention in mind and do things the factory does not like waterproof the top and underside of our decks. BTW your carpet installation is looking top notch :thumb:

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put carpet back in my traditional ski boat restore, and I like it. I am planning to put some gator step pieces on the back deck though, more like what the newer boats have. I'll update my restore thread when I do. Looking good here!

chevymaher

Commander
Pic one bow hallway complete.

Pic 2 Hillbilly can't keep his shoes on. Really I been taking them off getting in.

Pic 3 Autobody carry over. Mask it off keep the glue where it belongs.

Pics 4-5 sides done. Seams are under the side panels but i still did my best to make them look good.

Pic 6 under dash pieces glued and carpeted. This is where the teak work comes in. This may take a minute getting it all lined up the way it was. I got to run the stereo wires in this part. 2 speaker wires got to cross the bow hall. Amp needs to be bolted back in so the wires can be run also. One of those parts is the gas tank cover. That will be going in for good soon to.

I was messing with the cooler drain a long time. That stupid boat corrugated pipe just won't seal completely. I was pouring 5 gallon buckets of water in the cooler and laying under it and watching. Always had a drip. I had a brainstorm and went and got a rubber heater hose from the chevelle spare parts. Well not spare it is missing it now LOL. It was new but i got sidetracked on the boat. Don't leak anymore.

Kcassels I would like nothing more than to post a splash video of my old azz grinnin cruising on the Ohio.

89 resorter and Timr71 Thank you both for the compliments.

I must admit tho. This part is much more fun and exciting. Than say knowing I am going to grind and itch all day.

I got to run the vacuum in it now get all the little fuzz balls from cutting out. And clean it up get the scraps out. So I can make another huge mess.

Attachments

• photo290559.jpg
    photo290559.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 6
  • photo290560.jpg
    photo290560.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 6
  • photo290561.jpg
    photo290561.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 6
  • photo290562.jpg
    photo290562.jpg