Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
right there with ya on the resin too .. I just did one of two sides of a sheet of plywood with 1.5csm and it drank probably over half a gallon.

It is all good tho. I feel I am doing a good job l and everything is coated and sealed. It don't rot again it is worth it. The 1.5 CSM on the bottom of everything is what is eating it up.

I gonna have a couple thing slow me down for a few tho. Waiting on resin. And I got 2 cars needing attention. Stupid truck is leaking anti-freeze. I hope it is just the little hose from the water pump to intake. It is a mopar. And the ol faithful Honda CRV with its computer issues is coming over today. Annoying little car always kicks a code and goes into limp home mode. But by the time it gets here nothing is wrong runs fine and no code. Makes it kinda hard to fix.

I will get the engine cut out finished today I am sure. I got some edges to clean up on what I did yesterday. Now that the glass is done curing those parts can be stored in the garage so I can cut the other side of deck 1708.

It is supposed to start raining for a while here. So it is a good time to fool with other things anyway. To humid for the glass work.

chevymaher

Commander
Burned up the rest of the resin on the engine bay. It is now suitable for a big block.

There Isnt enough I dare start anything that is left.

I am probably going to make drains for the cupholders in the side sections. something that needs to be done. Lot of work and no materials.

Attachments

• photo289680.jpg
    photo289680.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
I went out and inspected the engine compartment last night. I got 3 bubbles to grind out and fix. Not to shabby for the multitude of corners it has. Drain turned out perfect that was my main concern. I water proofed the hole in the bulkhead for the plumbing. I got to clean that up some. Wild hairs.

I guess I gonna take a break today. Look at the truck and CRV. Do some more gardening. Just a change of pace since i am out of resin waiting for it to arrive.

Fix these bubbles. I did get the starboard deck 1708 cut to fit yesterday to. I got to wet out the deck and tab in the sides and put floatation foam in them.

Then this rotted hull issue is over. I got to waterproof seat bases and engine cover bases. Then on to installing the interior and gas tank permanently.

chevymaher

Commander
It rained all day so the timing on running out was perfect. Only thing I did was put the prop in the engine compartment for the rear of the tarp.

The tow vehicle the durango. I stood in the rain and worked on it all day. I was walking up the driveway and saw a drip under it. I checked it was a gallon low on coolant. I filled it and it was just running back out. This was 2 days ago and I just got around to doing anything about it.

I started peeling things off. Turned out it was the front seal on the water pump. I got a new one and clamps the little hose from the water pump to intake since i was there.

Tomorrow we pick up flowers from the boy's flower sale at school. So I be planting a while.

Then foolin with my brothers CRV. It has a VSS code once in a blue moon puts it into limp home mode. And I been driving it 2 days now only thing i am finding it a odd vibration in the front end every day or so. Just once then it is gone for a long time till the next day. oddball computer issues the most fun.

Since I got a forced break I quickly catching up on other things I been neglecting.

It was nice walking checking the plants in the yard and seeing the boat. Relaxing feeling knowing it about done.

My question still is. Why aint we fishin yet?

chevymaher

Commander
I piddled with her today. I missed her.

Ground the bubbles out. Made the drains for the side panels. I just cut the tube in half from a roll of paper towels. Resin the inside set it in there and resined the outside.

Then once it is in place and fills with floatation foam. I will keyhole saw it out for the cup holder. Dig into that area and instant drainage.

I got my last 12 ozs of resin and fixed the bubbles and made the drains.

Then did the yard. I got my tracking number for the resin. Get the yard caught up because it is about to be neglected a while.

Attachments

• photo289986.jpg
    photo289986.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
Thank you both chuck and bpounds.

I looked the tracking says the resin will be here tomorrow.

Today I test fitted the tank cover. Length I think will have to be trimmed. Width is right. I was stuffing scraps of carpet in there making sure. Gap looks huge. But with the carpet in it it looks fine. I spread out the 1708 and smoothed it out let it get used to its new position.

I was watering the gardens and plants. Hey Micky I see your making motor boat noises and raise you making them while I spray the boat off with the hose.

I do this when a stage of work is finished. I think of this as the boats bodywork. And i don't need the tools anymore. So I put them all away. Once I start assembling I can scatter them out again. But at least i won't have to look for them.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Looking good man! I think I have another 5 gal of resin in my near future also which would be my 4th or 5th... can't remember lol.. All I know is its taking more as everyone always says it will.

chevymaher

Commander
Looking good man! I think I have another 5 gal of resin in my near future also which would be my 4th or 5th... can't remember lol.. All I know is its taking more as everyone always says it will.

Thank you. I grin when I doing my yardwork ad see it there. This is new. I take the full cover off and just leave the cockpit and bow covers on it so i can look at it while I do my yardwork. When it isn't going to rain of course.

This is my 5th 5 gallon bucket. It is all good tho My truck needs some rust repair it wont got to waist.

I remember when I started the boat discussions on it. They said it would take more if you encapsulated everything correctly.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah I have burned through some resin as well I will probably need another 5 before I am finished lol that will make 25 gallons plus I have used 20 Gallons of Arjay6011.... but the boat is a Tank now and no longer suffers weak areas in hull or cabin top :)

chevymaher

Commander
Well I was jonesing for boat. I cut the bucket open to see if there was enough to do anything. The pint can is my personal autobody stash of resin I keep onhand. I used it up as well. It is terrible to have a adiction I tell you.

I did the inside of the engine cover. I will have to redo areas it was to dry but that is what you get when you got ants in your pants.

Edges toward the back need attention. But the hard part got done and is right. I can fool with that when I do the edges.

Resin is out for delivery so it be here in a few hours.

Attachments

• photo290101.jpg
    photo290101.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 5
  • photo290102.jpg
    photo290102.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 5
  • photo290103.jpg
    photo290103.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 5
  • photo290104.jpg
    photo290104.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 5
  • photo290105.jpg
    photo290105.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 5

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gotta say you have been doing some really nice work on this whole project. Once you have a whole boat that runs, and you can sit back and think "I did that", it makes it all worth it!

oldrem

Commander
Well I was jonesing for boat. I cut the bucket open to see if there was enough to do anything. The pint can is my personal autobody stash of resin I keep onhand. I used it up as well. It is terrible to have a adiction I tell you.

I did the inside of the engine cover. I will have to redo areas it was to dry but that is what you get when you got ants in your pants.

Edges toward the back need attention. But the hard part got done and is right. I can fool with that when I do the edges.

Resin is out for delivery so it be here in a few hours.

Dang, you sound like me. I go nuts when I don't have what I need, but usually find something else I should have been doing in the meantime.

chevymaher

Commander
Resin came last night. It is drizzling rain and i can't work till I go get the admiral from work and the boys school bus comes.

But one thing is for certain. Until the deck is wet out I am not sleeping again LOL.

chevymaher

Commander
Decks both done I got the outside of the engine cover done. Then I was test fitting things. Make sure the rear seats fit etc etc. I got to clean off the slag from the bottom of the engine cover so it sits flat. Then clean the edges up and finish them.

It is just to gooey in there I need to wait till tomorrow and let it harden.

Attachments

• photo290182.jpg
    photo290182.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo290183.jpg
    photo290183.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo290184.jpg
    photo290184.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2
  • photo290185.jpg
    photo290185.jpg