Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
bet it feels good to have the tank in :)

Oh Yea it does. Makes it feel like a boat again.

I am about to go hook up the light and heater. Back to 50 degrees today. Get the vent tube and tank cover braces in agreement on life. Slight trim on the bottom of the braces.

Mark the port side flotation foam holes to cut out. Remove the decks for water proofing. Ya know on with the process.

I made arrangements to use the truck I share with my buddy. Tuesday make a run for a sheet of 1/2 inch for the tank cover. Pick up some carpet glue while i am at Lowes.

Sun and mon no boat work. Family obligations.

Hoping to get the main decks glassed underneath and in by next week. There a couple 80 degree days they say are coming. And that is the ideal temp for putting in flotation foam.

chevymaher

Commander
Phase one all the loud stuff done. Tank cover braces notched as originals were. Got the flotation foam holes drilled. Ran the shop vac got all the sawdust and other nastiness out.

Now pick up the admiral from work and when she is sleeping quietly cut CSM and 1708 tabbing and mix resin LOL. I already got the undersides of the deck cut.

Attachments

• photo289261.jpg
    photo289261.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo289262.jpg
    photo289262.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 4

chevymaher

Commander
Okay I am tired now. I got the engine cutputs the part under the deck done. Part in the bilge i did alot on but i was just burning up scrap 1708 and csm. It all has one layer in the corners of csm and 1708. I will lay a nice continuous piece after the deck is finished.

I got the deck bottoms done.

Now i got the 2 heaters going in the boat under the tarp. Because in honor of this spring it is under 50 LOL. I just got to check and make sure the breakers dont kick for the next few hours. The long cords and heaters kick them off every once in a while.

Attachments

• photo289277.jpg
    photo289277.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 5

chevymaher

Commander
Okay I lied I did find time to work some today.

Main decks attached.

I guess fool with the motor mount next. It is going to need all kinds of whittling to go in after the glassing I been doing. That and do the side panels. I can do both sides of them Then just tab them in. I want to make a drain for the cupholders to.

Now just wait for the day I can get the under deck foamed. It is still saying 80 in a couple days.

I ordered a new gas cap and the registration numbers for the hull. I already got the trailer tags and the sticker. It is getting close enough to do it. Start looking legal.

Attachments

• photo289332.jpg
    photo289332.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo289333.jpg
    photo289333.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 5

chevymaher

Commander
doctors run for the admiral in a bit. Got to pick up dirt for the gardens. Temps may not be here but the season is.

Right now i am doing the slow hand sand untill the skii locker door fits perfectly with the carpet. Figure better to get this figured out now than once it is done and dont fit LOL.

It is supposed to get warm enough after the doctors run to make a mess with the flotation foam.

Well break over came in for a grinder stone for the bench grinder. See how it likes the fioiberglass sealing around the door on the skii locker, It isnt got to have alot come off just enough the carpet and door go together snugly

chevymaher

Commander
I got tank cover made fill in pieces. Then got one side full of flotation foam before I left.

Is it full yet? Hope there isnt any bubbles in the flotation in there.

Well out to do the other side now.

Attachments

• photo289454.jpg
    photo289454.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 5

chevymaher

Commander
Well I got the other side done and a repeat performance of the huge mess LOL. I used a saw to cut it down. Tomorrow is bodywork time wire wheel the deck get it all up.

I got about 2 gallons left over and all I got left to do is the sides. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. I know there is zero air under anything i did.

That is why I left the deck and different parts not tabbed in. So air could escape and the foam would push out.

Attachments

• photo289463.jpg
    photo289463.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 5

chevymaher

Commander
I got that mess cleaned up. Got the deck all tabbed in. I used up the rest of the resin wetting out interior pieces that get carpeted and the sides so they don't suck the resin out of the cloth when I do them.

I also had abunch of pieces for the engine cut outs I sat and did while I was resting.

Next I got to cut the underneath of the tank cover. The CSM to glue the small pieces around the tank in. Make the pieces for putting in the engine motor mount.

Pretty soon the slicker neighbors will look over and say oh it is going to rain. He has the full cover on it.

Attachments

• photo289535.jpg
    photo289535.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 5
  • photo289536.jpg
    photo289536.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5

chevymaher

Commander
you rockin it !

Thank you.

I really want to wash wax and put gas in it already. Cruise on the Ohio.

My gas cap came and the registration numbers. So needless to say they went right on before I left earlier.

Attachments

• photo289562.jpg
    photo289562.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
I did the little pieces around the tank cover. Got those CSM'ed in place. I got the motor mount in place.

I got the side panels done today inside and out. Tank cover the same top and bottom.

I was doing the second side of them and it started thundering and dark clouds rolling in. I put the 2 finished ones under the boat house.

The third i finished inside the boat.

Then I was cutting pieces to finish the engine compartment and cut the 1708 for the deck on the port side,

Then I was tired said call it a day. Go water the gardens and start the grill for steaks.

I dont think 20 gallons is gonna do it for resin. I got plenty of 1708 and CSM to finish. Once the sides are in and all they need is tabbed. I got to do the seat bases for water proofing. And the bottom of the engine cover which is more for strength. Since that is a jungle gym for getting in and out of the boat.

I got a gallon left. I think 3 more will do. I gonna order more tonight after the admiral goes to work. She has co signed for the order.

Pic one makeshift cutting area in the driveway.

Pic 2 Emergency under the boathouse from coming rain.

Pic 3 were the 3rd piece got finished.

Pic 4 the rolls of 1708 for the deck on both sides.

Pic 5 1708 for the final coat of the engine compartment. Most of it already filled in with scraps. I just wanted one even coat with a single piece for the look.

Pic 6 port side cut to fit on the 1708

Attachments

• photo289619.jpg
    photo289619.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo289620.jpg
    photo289620.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo289621.jpg
    photo289621.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo289622.jpg
    photo289622.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 4
  • photo289623.jpg
    photo289623.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 4
  • photo289624.jpg
    photo289624.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 4

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
glad ya got it protected from weather, i been racing all week to beat weather finally got everything glassed in and about to paint the underside of top cap , i will be tickled pink to have this finished and onto sanding and painting the op of the top cap :)

chevymaher

Commander
I just ordered 5 more gallons of resin. She is a thirsty critter. I have a feeling i will have a half a bucket left this time.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i always think that too but if not vac bagging we seem to go heavy with resin lol

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Holy crap! You're flying... I think you've officially passed me.

you're probably gonna get way ahead of me now that I decided to start a YouTube channel to document the rest of my build.

right there with ya on the resin too .. I just did one of two sides of a sheet of plywood with 1.5csm and it drank probably over half a gallon.