Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
For you 70's, for us a heat wave in the 50's for the next 2 weeks. I can live with that compared to the 30's we've been having. I feel rejuvenated.

I been putting both heaters in the boat early. And when it gets to 80 under the tarp. Climb in and fill the boat up with parts. Once i am out of room i am done for the day.

Today was a bonus it was warm enough to do some out of the boat.

chevymaher

Commander
Got the bow hallway carpet glued on its wood. Got the carpet in the skii locker.

Most of the time i was fooling with the gas tank. It is going to fit fine. I just got a few adjustments to make. Vent tube clearance issues. I got to make the hole with the boot bigger like it was. I had it tiny and that isnt woirking. Just fine tuning things in.

I had to drop a bed off and tomorrow I got trans lines to put on regular work stuff getting in the way.

chevymaher

Commander
Well got the main deck bracing in and the carpet covered in the skii locker. Now after i post see if the weather is going to be warm enough out of the boat to waterproof the bottom of the deck.

Attachments

• photo288869.jpg
    photo288869.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 5
  • photo288870.jpg
    photo288870.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 5
  • photo288871.jpg
    photo288871.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 5

chevymaher

Commander
Mother nature is off her medication again. It isn't reaching 60 and it is raining heavily.

My daily driver developed a anti-freeze leak I dealt with that. There a little drama going on in life right now. Got the van sorted.

I had the boat warming up with the heater. I opened the tarp to check temps in there see if it was ready. I was soaking wet just doing that. I then realized i could never get the deck piece in to glass it with out it getting wet.

So with that and everything else going on I just said screw it yesterday. Today I would like to go back at it at least tinker to get my mind off of other things,

My resin was shipped yesterday.

chevymaher

Commander
New system now since apparently there will be no summer this year. We are going straight from early spring to fall. I plug the light and heater in and run the cord in the door. So when I wake up to have my coffee I just stroll down and plug it in let it warm up while I wake up and read post.

And a pic to tide the pic people over. The cord so it is out of the water running by. Just enough slack so the water drips off in the middle and dont run in the boat or in the door.

Yesterday I got the forward most deck into the boat when it wasn't raining for 5 minutes all day long. I got the bottom of it CSM waterproofed.

I used a sissors jack and a couple scraps of wood to hold the bow section in the correct position while I screw with the deck and the bracing I was using to brace it is gone.

I was cutting holes in the bulkhead for gas and vent lines yesterday. I got the 2 sacrificial pieces of wood glassed in place that are basically floor/tank mounting braces.

Judging by how much glue i used on the bow hall and skii locker alone. I figure I should just buy the 5 gallon bucket of carpet glue next time i am out at the hardware.

I am with you now Kcassels. We ain't counting cost just buy the crap and get it over with. It is to much fun and the admiral don't care so we living large LOL.

Attachments

• photo289094.jpg
    photo289094.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 3

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
chevymaher ...........Yup, stopped counting years ago. Got that Let's giterdone thing only anymore. You're looking good there Poppy! Always stopping by for a peak.

chevymaher

Commander
I got the forward most actual deck in today. That was a trick. Getting the glass over the seam under the hallway there.

I used screw drivers as guides and had to recut the opening so the carpet fit. So when it went in stick the screw drivers in line it up. Screw it down. Then sit and sop up the resin as it squirted out on the sides LOL.

First 2 pics was the huge mess in there. Had to clean it all out and vacuum for this stage. Last pic was the deck with the door and the screw drivers in place.

I got a bunch of resin on my arm and back rolling around doing this one. MMMM lots of fun cleaning up.

I got to go do some actual work now LOL. That is why I am up so stupid early in here posting. Got to get some boat in before duty calls.

Attachments

• photo289105.jpg
    photo289105.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 5
  • photo289106.jpg
    photo289106.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo289107.jpg
    photo289107.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 5

chevymaher

Commander
And I got home just in time to receive the resin. Look I even remembered to take the hardener out before I threw the packing peanuts away.

Attachments

• photo289137.jpg
    photo289137.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • photo289138.jpg
    photo289138.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo289139.jpg
    photo289139.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I made that mistake throwing out the MEPK with the box full of peanuts LOL. I did the entire inside of my boat using epoxy, where the epoxy and hardener are in similar sized containers. When I switched to the outside of the boat, I switched to poly so that I could do a gel coat finish and I tossed the tiny hardener bottle with the box DUH :facepalm:

Keep up the great work!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Nice, I always get excited when I come home from work and find a US Composites box at my door.. although, I gotta be honest, I always get a little bummed when I open it and remember they fill everything to the brim with peanuts lol. I wish they would fill the boxes with 1/4" chop fibers instead, then I could use them for something. lol

chevymaher

Commander
I been nit picking things. Watch out Charlie Anal is on the jobsite.

I made 2 different shims for the under the bow hallway. It is the adjustment for the windshield gap so it got to be just so. I made the first one the size the original was and the bracing I was using as a temp. Well with all the layers of fiberglass on the different parts it is alot thicker now.

So I made a thinner one and it worked. That is until I put csm on both sides. So I cut a third one. I gonna just resin it up and use it.

I got the side peices in the tank on now that hold the cross braces for the floor. Tank is resisting going in it is tight, Fits perfectly when in but has to go in and out at a angle. I remember this taking it out to. I got to adjust the cross brace a 1/8 looks like.

I got to do bill runs during my normal life routine this morning. Today's goals are finish the bow hall brace. Get the tank going in and out correctly. And I got to trim the main deck peices for the tabbing on the transom. Once that is done i hope to get the engine cut outs in place correctly. Just a couple small tabs to hold them in place. Then decks out and seriously glass them in on both sides.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Are you having problems with accessing current posts? I made some posts and they don't show up as current but I see them when I open the persons thread.
Just wondering.

chevymaher

Commander
Are you having problems with accessing current posts? I made some posts and they don't show up as current but I see them when I open the persons thread.
Just wondering.

Yes it has been showing a post as most recent and there was 3 more post after that I knew of.

Well this is what I talking about. cover off of the boat and in a Tee shirt working. No heater going am I in the right place?

chevymaher

Commander
Well today the weather was right. Beautiful not a cloud in the sky 72 degrees.

I was like a Melvin Newby doing construction today. Stood around dumbfounded looking at the tape wit it a foot and a half out. So if the boss looked I at least looked like I was working LOL.

Really I was trimming deck boards and engine cut outs so they fit together once more. Engine cut outs got the backs under the deck glassed so they were different dimensions. Deck boards needed trimmed where the transom tabbing was.

Then the real one that hurt my head. How is this tank going in and WTF am I going to do about the tank cover. 1/4 inch trim on one end pops right in like a street walker on a friday night.

Windshield adjusted perfect. Tank in and out no issue. Engine cut outs are tacked into place. Once the glass hardens the deck can come out for Floatation foam holes cut in them and glass the undersides.

Then seriously 1708 the backsides of the engine cutouts both seal and make them a serious structural members.

Last pic I was setting up the grill to enjoy the day and grill some hot italian sausages. Boat is filthy but looking a heck of alot better than it did when it rolled in here. I am leaving the big tarp off it isn't going to rain and I like looking at it.

Attachments

• photo289237.jpg
    photo289237.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 5
  • photo289238.jpg
    photo289238.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo289239.jpg
    photo289239.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 5
  • photo289240.jpg
    photo289240.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 5

chevymaher

Commander
Looks like some great craftsmanship

Thank you.

Right now I aint doing nothing. I did check the glass it got hard. Sitting in my chair just lookin outside waiting for my sons bus. So we can grill,

Tomorrow it is going to be cold again back under the tarp LOL.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea gots the rain here today..supposed to hit 80 tom.
Work looks great Chev!!:D
Sweet looking tank. Neoprene on the bottom?