Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Just GRRRR.

I had 2 heaters in there. I put the precut pieces all out on the chevelle roof. Diagram of where the labeled bags go there. Got the gloves and cut up CSM cab o sil all there ready.

My Kindom for 10 more degrees.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Chev. Looks like we start to get the heat this weekend! I have to work a little ot but finally some stable temps!!!

Z

chevymaher

Commander
Chev. Looks like we start to get the heat this weekend! I have to work a little ot but finally some stable temps!!!
Yes so far 2 days weather is saying maybe a third. Then rain and drops back to sillyville a while. I am ready for whatever it throws my way.

oldrem

Commander
Weatherman keeps changing our forecasts downward :( Instead of upper 40's this weekend they now say 30's - really getting depressed not being able to work outside.

chevymaher

Commander
Weatherman keeps changing our forecasts downward :( Instead of upper 40's this weekend they now say 30's - really getting depressed not being able to work outside.

And that said it all. I really thought I would have this about wrapped up as far as the hull goes by now. The sitting and can't do nothing is the worst. It is depressing.

Once the hull and foam are done I don't need any particular weather just work on.

LOL soon a milestone for me is. Just being where I thought I was when I got it. Motor out needs repaired. But the boat has interior and everything is there. Granted it is in alot better shape this round. For me that is the biggie. Just being a complete boat again. Not a mulch filled scary thing I live in.

chevymaher

Commander
Well alrighty then. It is 57 degrees now at 315 am. It is saying a sharp climb into the 70's starting at 10 am. 61 being the temp then. But it is alreay warmer than it is supposed to be now by 5 degrees. It is saying clear and sunny.

Tommorrow more of the same and warmer. Saturday. Is iffy will be warm enough but may be raining. So it looks like today and tomorrow I am gold sat play by ear. Then temps drop again. But they are only going to the upper 50's.

Get the admiral off to work. Drag the benches out. Put the decking on them. For doing the undersides with CSM. I am about to go untarp it all.

I just can't believe progress is about to be made. I need to drill the foam fill holes in the decking before I seal it.

Anyway I got till about 7 pm to be working. Kid is prepped and on auto pilot. Got the admiral to make supper in the crock pot. Minimal disturbance in the force luke at suppertime. Come in and Put some in his plate see ya later got to go.

Wish me luck I about to head down and set up the stations for working.

Broaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hope It gets warm enough for you.
here we are just above 15°C which is barely enough for poly work.

may the force be with you

chevymaher

Commander
Oh yea it was a good day for me. It was 60 when I started and it is 78 now.

I ran out of gloves. I need to re cop a box of gloves and more nappy rollers.

Untill what i did today hardens overnight. There isn't anyplace for me to stand to do more work.

I got both outer stringers complete. Main stringers inside. Skii locker and tank areas done. I need to do bulkheads and the outer long stringer part. Then work on the engine compartment.

It all got CSM and 2 layers of 1708.

On the deck piece I destroyed my circle saw. My buddy got one he will let me use. I just got to buy the right bit to use with the chuck.

It is saying 78 again tomorrow a repeat of today. Then it will be warm enough but it is supposed to start thunderstoming. Then back to sub par temps. But I took full advantage of it today. And intend to tomorrow to.

Attachments

• photo288314.jpg
    photo288314.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
Well I got another good day in. Everything in the boat is done except one bulkhead. Way I do that stuff is I cut corners and the bulkhead things like that, have them ready and laying there. Then when I finish other things I use the extra resin to do those things. Avoid the hockey pucks.

I started on the second 5 gallon bucket. I was encapsualting next to go in parts. Braces for the deck. And was starting on the engine cut outs.

Then the wind picked way up. No way I was Putting CSM on in that. it would be in the corner of the yard.

So I came in and checked the weather. Yep wind rest of the day then rain tomorrow. So I put all the tarps on the boat and put everything inside. After it rains it is supposed to drop down and snow some before it warms back up.

I need to grind the wild hairs off the edges of everything before I go any futher inside the hull. So quick grind then wipe it all down.

I am content I got alot done in this short warm spell.

chevymaher

Commander
I had the heater in there. I was taping up the bow interior and dash. I got a little clean up grinding to do.

Snowed and was cold all day long. Still snowing now.

I was doing math for the floatation foam. I need to complete the bottom of the skii locker because once this deck and braces goes on it is over. I would never be able to get in there again.

So I was doing crazy math trying tot figure out the cubic foot of that space. Then trying to figure expantion rates and how much in a jug is how much in finished product.

Then it is as handy on a pocket on a shirt at least for the 2 lb foam. Seems the expansion rate when the temps are not antartic like today is 25-30X on the can. And the conversion from cubic ft to liters is 28. something.

So figure the cubic foot and mix it in liters DONE DEAL.

After that I said screw it wait till it warms back up. Came upstairs and took a nap.

chevymaher

Commander
Got the mating surfaces cleaned up now. got the engine cut outs fitting again. So grinding is over now clean this mess up again.

And never ever let me touch floatation foam again while it is kicking off LOL. I got the foam under the skii locker. Now I got to clean that mess up.

I took a picture it is blurry. Just trust me it is a absolute mess. I will be all day cleaning it up in there tomorrow.

Don't matter it wont be warm enough to do anything for a week it says. Looks like our first warm weather be august this year.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i found something that dissolves that foam , want to try it before i post but chemist said it will work , again i am skeptical till i try it

chevymaher

Commander
LOL yes when it is in that innocent dish bubbles looking stage. Don't do it. Don't fall for it. It is luring you in. If you touch it it is like the blob in a science fiction movie. wrapping around everything as it mutates and grows.

I picked up a new hole saw yesterday for this very thing. A black and decker. 5 sizes for 9 bucks not to shabby.

So once Jr is off to school I pick the admiral up from work. It is supposed to get to near 70 today around 3 goofy weather wow it is slowing me down.

I will clean the foam up on the edges get the skii locker floor ready to glass it in on the edges. Tank bottom needs the holes in it for foam. Need to trim it to fit because the bulkheads got glassed and are bigger now. If mother nature is willing i would like to get the tank bottom in.

Anyway I got a ton of little details to take care of that really wont look any different than I already showed in pictures. I will be busy tho.

I got a ton of grinding dust to clean up. That is going to take forever. I need to go get some carpet glue. It is dangerously close to needing that for the skii locker.

I think put that in then mask the edges and plastic it in there. That way when I put the braces and deck in all I got to do is yank it out once that is done. Keep the peanut butter off the new carpet where you cant see it. You know how Charlie Anal is. Anyway have the forward most section installed. Rear part roll it up when that is done. Install the part I can reach once the deck is done.

Now read post drink coffee and wait for the boy to wake up. Lets get this show on the road LOL.

chevymaher

Commander
I put the heaters plural in the boat and cleaned up some. Cut the material to do the skii locker floor. I didn't think it would get warm enough. Well it got to 80 in the boat and 55 outside. I did it and tacked down the under the tank piece. I left the sides open to let air escape when the foam goes in.

I did put the water diverters in for the drain in the skii locker. if you been watching a while you remember those. I did the level thing. With the spare tire down on a 4X4 to hold it from rolling. It is still all draining the right way

Then I cleaned up the edges of the main deck brace. It is sealed on both sides. I couldn't do any glassing out of the boat it was to cold. I got a good day in so I called it and came upstairs. It is supposed to rain in a little bit it says anyway.

Judging by the rate i am using resin. I a thinking this is a 20 gallon boat LOL. I will be ordering more of the resin soon.

Attachments

• photo288686.jpg
    photo288686.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 5
  • photo288687.jpg
    photo288687.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 5
  • photo288688.jpg
    photo288688.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 5
  • photo288689.jpg
    photo288689.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 5

chevymaher

Commander
Well mother natureis back up to her old tricks. It isn't even 40 degrees out there. I think I am going to go check yesterdays work. Make sure it is to my liking. Then cut a couple pieces of carpet. Then take the gas tank bracing and see what they got going on for me. Make sure the silly tank still fits in there.

chevymaher

Commander
Since it is sprinter (spring/winter) weather and I cant do anything else. I opened and cut the bow hallway and skii lockers carpets.

I put the heater in the boat and inspected yesterdays work turned out great. Once it warms up go cut the skii locker piece. Bow piece of wood is done and I am gonna wrap the end of the carpet under the fiberglass hallway. Just look nicer.

So I can put it on the wood and lay it in the hallway but can't final install it. It will just give me a woody seeing it there while i work.

Pic of the ooooh pretty new carpet LOL. May as well open new stuff since i can't do what i need to right.

Well off to check see if it is warm enough in there to enjoy working

Attachments

• photo288724.jpg
    photo288724.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Well went to get some carpet glue and I got that. I was washing the van at the car wash on the way back. And noticed the other night when the construction truck and trailer pulled out. The loud clunk was the paint being ripped off my fender from a rock he threw. So I came home and fixed that catastrophe. Dime sized down to primer.

To cold for the boat anyway. By the time the paint fumes were up stairs to late door was open.

Went to mom's for dinner and cake. She got me some boat stuff. A air horn. Some ropes. And a dry bag to bring a change of clothes in.

They are saying now in a week non stop temps over 70. Well bring it on.

Attachments

• photo288746.jpg
    photo288746.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo288747.jpg
    photo288747.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo288748.jpg
    photo288748.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
Well I just ordered another 5 gallons. I am down to about 2.

Did the waterproofing og the engine cut outs. The under deck part. I found the tiniest of speck of hot glue holds the CSM in place great. For all the complicated back parts. So when it is time to resin just wet it all out.

The decks main brace was CSM'ed top and bottom I was doing the little details. It is ready once it hardens. The main deck just got wet out and i will put csm on it on the next go round.

I got the foam under the tank area. That area completed including the water diverters. Drains are done till the one going into the bilge. That will get completeled when the engine mount goes in.

Pics first prepping the parts for rear waterproofing. 2 the deck brace and actual front deck. 3rd the tank area complete and the engine cut outs wet out.

Attachments

• photo288793.jpg
    photo288793.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo288794.jpg
    photo288794.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo288795.jpg
    photo288795.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 3

oldrem

Commander
For you 70's, for us a heat wave in the 50's for the next 2 weeks. I can live with that compared to the 30's we've been having. I feel rejuvenated.