Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Well I put the heater in the boat. Not getting alot done. Taped a wrench to a tomatoe stake. Reached in through the bow rider storage and fished for the bow cleat bolts. That took a long time. But they are tight now. Going back out and clean things up on the stringers getting ready for the eventual warmth. Get the pl glue and rough edges on the glass from last fall smooth and ready.

At least i am doing something again tired of waiting

chevymaher

Commander
That wasn't to bad, used the grinder and the excess glue came right off. Just got to clean the dust up now and back to waiting. I think tomorrow I will make a bow chain for the trailer. I got a bunch of chains and different hooks. Cut a section of the appropriate sized chain I saw a hole I can bolt it to. I think I even got a hook with a spring catch on it.

Lowcountry26

Cadet
I’ve just spent the past three moths in California, coming back to the southeast has been a chilly affair so far. Tagging along and hoping you get some warmth soon

chevymaher

Commander
Okay I even got pics today LOL.

I called the US Composits tech and talked to them. Deal is YES it is explosive and you shouldn't heat it. He said well vetilated. If your using heat heat the garage to 80 90 degrees. Do the deed. Open the doors and ventilate it. Then once it has died down some then and only then a heat lamp.

Kerosine is the wrong heat to use causes fisheyes. He said no problem just wipe it down with acetone and let dry a half hour if it has been exposed to get the soot off.

He said the resin is good 3 months guaranteed with no care what so ever. And will last a year if you shake it up once a month if it is going to sit. If kept in a cool dry place.

So I am al dialed in now on it. Just wait and bite my fingernails.

I made the chain for the trailer bow today. I like it alot.

And it is still miserable and cold here. Way lower than it should be. Saying 60 tomorrow tho.

Lowcountry26 I lived in the philippines when I met my wife for 6 months. Our property there is 7 miles from the equator. Now there is a temp shock. When we got back we are sitting watching TV with sweats and a blanket on. She says turn the heat up. I am like sure. I look it is 85 degrees. I said I think we just got to get used to it.

Attachments

• photo286508.jpg
    photo286508.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo286509.jpg
    photo286509.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo286510.jpg
    photo286510.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Well since the weather wont play my silly little game. I went to Joanns and got more vinyl start making bow cover and tops.

chevymaher

Commander
I went and visited the guy I know at the upholstery shop. Got 15 snaps cleaned him out. I do need a installation tool and a bunch more snaps. But I got enough to get it attached to the windshield so I could work on.

I got the 3 pieces sewn together. 3 snaps on the windshield area. Then stretched it out and marked the cut line with masking tape. That is as far as I got today and the admiral said that is enough come up for supper.

So tomorrow do the edging on it all around.

Got to keep busy anyway instead of twiddling my thumbs waiting on heat.

Attachments

• photo286568.jpg
    photo286568.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo286569.jpg
    photo286569.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo286570.jpg
    photo286570.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
I ordered snaps and a installation tool last night. Should be here in a week. Until then back to sewing. Finish this bow cover.

Top is 3 parts. I mainly want the forward most part done. Windshield back halfway for the hot sun. Admiral hates hot sun. Myself I love it. Still debating on what to do on the sides. It was plastic. I am tossing around ideas in photoshop. Sides are mainly rain protection if you get caught in a cloudburst. And we get them alot on the ohio river. Clear to heavy rain with no warning in 10 minutes.

Temps are still yo-yo ing here. It is getting up to 60 alot but then drops immediately.

chevymaher

Commander
Bow cover is finished except snaps being put on. Wait on the snap tool it comes next wed they say.

I got the rear half of the top done yesterday. Wow interior goes faster with no piping.

I am getting coffee'ed up to go back at the rest of the top.

kcassells northeasters are keeping it colder than usual here. But compared to what they are getting 35-45 degrees is pretty sweet I guess.

chevymaher

Commander
I went to the boat this morning with duct tape line up the 3 forward most parts of the top. For putting the zippers on. I got the front 3 parts and back sewn together. Got half way through a zipper. I got so much in the machine and it was binding it up.

Well the inevitable happened. I guess the piece didn't move correctly. Crunch crunch, Big hairball and couldn't get the top out of the machine. Well I finally got it out. Re threaded it and it kept ripping the bobbin case out and destroying everything.

I thought great fried another one. I had to go watch my grandma so my aunt and uncle could go out. So I went on a crash course on machine rebuilding. I hit paydirt n you tube. Seems the needle went through the bobbin case not once but twice. So the silly thing wouldn't seat and just popped back out first time you nailed it.

I got a razor and sandpaper and fixed it after we got home. Cleaned and oiled it all. Back in business now. Nail it sews like new again. I adjusted some stuff. Guy was like this forum a fountain of knowledge and help. I adjusted the walker foot and the tension for the heavier fabric.

Since this part seems to be a expendable one. I am ordering 2 more tomorrow to keep as spares.

I got one more zipper to do. The border on the back half. And it is finished as far as sewing. Re-assemble the frame and straps in it.

Then put the top and the bow cover back on the boat again with duct tape and make final adjustments. Mark all the snap locations to make all the holes. Then wait for the snaps and tool to install them.

chevymaher

Commander
Okay got as far as i could without the snaps. Machine is alive and well now.

I check fitted the top. Make sure the snap spots were were they should be, I couldn't draw it tight because it was just taped on in front. I can live with it.

Top and bow cover pics sans snaps. They come on thurs they saying. And one picture of the original top where the mice pissed and sheet on it and ate big holes in it.

It was actually warm out there today. 60 degrees come on 70.

Attachments

• photo286713.jpg
    photo286713.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286714.jpg
    photo286714.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286715.jpg
    photo286715.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286716.jpg
    photo286716.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286717.jpg
    photo286717.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286718.jpg
    photo286718.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286719.jpg
    photo286719.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
CM just so you know...Poly resin is explosive but...the concentration levels required would almost never be attained in your garage environment. Boat factories spray this stuff all day long and you can't see your hand in front of your face and to my knowledge never had an explosion from the "FOG". Not saying you shouldn't be cautious especialy for your Lungs but as far as a big BOOM I wouldn't worry to much. I AM a big safety guy but this is NOT at the top of the list. Your Lungs ARE!!!;)

chevymaher

Commander
CM just so you know...Poly resin is explosive but...the concentration levels required would almost never be attained in your garage environment. Boat factories spray this stuff all day long and you can't see your hand in front of your face and to my knowledge never had an explosion from the "FOG". Not saying you shouldn't be cautious especialy for your Lungs but as far as a big BOOM I wouldn't worry to much. I AM a big safety guy but this is NOT at the top of the list. Your Lungs ARE!!!;)

I am outside in the carport/tent deal. I did the transom in the garage and that isn't flying with the admiral. Outside for me doing this stuff. And for my lungs i got 2 of the painter mask from 3m i religiously wear doing it. They are the ones for fumes like this. You don't smell nothing with them on. Take it off and it about knocks you down.

It was 62 yesterday and we got a winter advisory again today, later this afternoon actually. Goofy weather we are having this year. I want to do this so bad i can't see straight but take a deep breath. I am fine just got to wait.

Appreciate the heads up I should be fine where it is getting done tho. I have been using the electric heater and getting in the boat and fooling with the small details. Sanding corners and whatnot from the glassing I did last fall.

Mother nature is just being a pain this year. Kinda like washing a car and it rains. She knows I got something to do and she is teasing me. It was literally 80 degrees for a week before the glass got here. It arrived and it is winter again LOL.

Today when it is a normal hour i am going to the courthouse to pay my taxes on the cars and the boat and get all my tags.

chevymaher

Commander
Just got the boats tags. Waiting for the snowstorm. At least i will have work to do. Shoveling the drive and keeping the snow off of the boathouse a while.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got the boats tags. Waiting for the snowstorm. At least i will have work to do. Shoveling the drive and keeping the snow off of the boathouse a while.

Remind me where you are located again?

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, I just talked to my Uncle in Tennessee and they have more snow in the forecast. Sorry. We hit 81 here in Birmingham, before a cold snap came back in with this last storm.

chevymaher

Commander
Yeah, I just talked to my Uncle in Tennessee and they have more snow in the forecast. Sorry. We hit 81 here in Birmingham, before a cold snap came back in with this last storm.

LOL no need to be sorry. It is slowing me down but it isn't killing me. Like my brother always says. Most important thing is just don't panic. It will get done.

But when your a Hyper Diaper like me. Sitting on your hands doing nothing is the hardest thing to do.

Snaps will come in a couple days. That will keep me busy a few. It is spring today for crips sake it got to warm up soon.

cassadypaul

Cadet
Took a few days but I finally got to the end. Are you ready for the foretasted 8-12' of snow the Ohio valley is supposed to get on Saturday?