Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

oldrem

Commander
Unfortunately we've had our worst snow storms in mid April - been through a few 18-19" storms then. Only good thing is it usually melts away fairly fast that time of year.

chevymaher

Commander
Supplies are scheduled to arrive tuesday. Today I cut a tarp up and put on the sides. Jut in case. I got the heater out there gassed up. Electric heater in the boat and the kerosene next to it. I got it to 62 in there today. We supposed to get some 60's before it drops again and snows a little.

Killin me i wanna work on this already. I hate waiting. But I may have to. Chomping at the bit here.

Attachments

• photo285548.jpg
    photo285548.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • photo285549.jpg
    photo285549.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo285550.jpg
    photo285550.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo285551.jpg
    photo285551.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
LOL last night I was watching a movie with my son. The phone went off texting a weather advisory. Texting a weather service flash flood advisory. I got carpet in the garage just scraps I walk on to go to the van. I though well better go move them in case water comes in under the door like it does when it is raining to hard.

Well leaves blocked the culvert I got made diverting it from the door. I got a rubber seal under the door and it was leaking bad. That is never good. Put on my hip wader boots and opened the door wow 3 inches of running water coming in.

Went out and corrected the blockage then cleaned up the garage. Once I had it not coming in I squeegied the water to the drain.

Though i was going to have to put the boats anchor on it LOL.

I got work to do today. Brakes on a new Tahoe. After i finish that i got to move the van and the chevelle out and clean that mess up down there.

I told the admiral last night. I keep talking about it but this summer that new garages foundation in going in out back for the chevelle and boat. It will divert the water past the back yard where the door cant get water to it.

I bet the park down the hill is under water today and it is at the edge of the hyway. Ohio river is into severe flood stage and rising. We been getting a lot of rain the last few weeks. Biblical type rain. I am just glad i live at the top of the hill and all this is just a minor annoyance unlike some who live on the plains on the bottom of the hill here.

Anywho I got a question on the fiberglass and temps needed. I been reading and am not finding definitive answers. It says it takes days for the polyester resin to completely harden. And 60 is the lowest recommended temp for doing it. It should cure initially after a few hours. Now the question is. Is it okay to do if the temps are above 70 for the time it needs to harden the initial cure. Or does it have to stay that temp for the overnight periods?

So if I get some 70's I can go for it. Then tarp it up with the electric heater in the boat over night. That would keep inside the boat warm enough. But i dont think the tent will stay that warm. Even with the kerosine heater overnight. I been working in there with the electric heater when it was 40 and it keeps inside the boat in the 70's.

I will do what i got to and wait but like i said before I am chomping at the bit here. What is the collective opinion. I want the glass to be perfect and not rush it more than I want it done immediately.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
its the initial cure and anything above 60 should work with right amounts of mekp, the cooler temps after initial set will prolong the cure but it should be fine, i did mine at 60 and it dropped to 50 overnight and it never caused me a problem. if it dropped to freezing i wouldn't know how that would work but you figure if initial cure has gone off the rest is just slow cure.

chevymaher

Commander
its the initial cure and anything above 60 should work with right amounts of mekp, the cooler temps after initial set will prolong the cure but it should be fine, i did mine at 60 and it dropped to 50 overnight and it never caused me a problem. if it dropped to freezing i wouldn't know how that would work but you figure if initial cure has gone off the rest is just slow cure.

Thank you. We got a bunch of 65 degree days coming it says but it drops to upper 40's and 50's at night. I will just leave the electric heater running in the boat with the covers on and heat the tent that should get it into the 70's at least on a 65 degree day. Inside the boat i will test with the electric heater today as a matter of fact.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
not sure i would use a electric heater around those vapors, i wouldnt worry about it or call resin mfg and ask them about temps to be sure . heaters scare me around vapors lol.

chevymaher

Commander
not sure i would use a electric heater around those vapors, i wouldnt worry about it or call resin mfg and ask them about temps to be sure . heaters scare me around vapors lol.

Guess I got to just wait then. Hate when that happens.

chevymaher

Commander
Busy day for me. Went and got the new tires on the van. 295/50/15's.

Then came home to sweat the fiberglass and floatation foam.

Carpet is due to be here tomorrow.

LOL I am going to have to get the boat finished so I got room to walk in the garage.

Figure i be cutting tabbing for a while now and wrapping it up and labeling it. Untill it is warm enough to feel froggy and jump on it.

Attachments

• photo285711.jpg
    photo285711.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • photo285712.jpg
    photo285712.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • photo285713.jpg
    photo285713.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
About to take the Admiral to work. On the way home stop at the hardware and re supply on expendables. Rollers for the glass resin, razor blades. Just wander through the isle I call the boat isle and do a looksie. What am I gonna need I am forgetting.

Because once you start. you know there is always something you forgot.

Then move the van out side lay down plastic unroll the CSM and 1708 and start doing the needed cutting. And that reminds me I need a few markers to mark it to make the cuts with.

I think the boat house is sealed enough to take the tarps off until this is done it never got wet with just the boat house top in the rain. Now that it has sides I think we good. Get in there after cuttin the tabbing and clean up the glue where ever it needs it on the stringers. Just do prep work all day so when it does hit the magic temp number I am More than prepared for working.

Weather is doing the tease thing. 61 today then drop for a few days then up to 63. Come on ky do what your famous for. Have some unseasonably warm weather a couple weeks. LOL

Getting itchy here and fired up. Pun intended. I want to see this silly thing together with the interior in it already. Come on mother nature we got places to go people to see.

chevymaher

Commander
Back got the maxy pack of chip brushes. And I am learning on how much resin I need so I got a few bigger mixing containers. I know I use 2 small ones at least usually and I got time before it kicks off. So mix it in one batch. Got maxy packs of stirring sticks also. This should keep me going a while. If not hardware is only 10 minutes away I know where they are. 85 bucks on this haul. I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Here is the haul now down to start cutting.

Attachments

• photo285727.jpg
    photo285727.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
I stopped counting $$ years ago! You go boy!

I don't worry about it now. I having to much fun it is worth every penny. Carpet came. Mom came over i had to do some paintwork for her before dad saw what she did. She scrapped up the new car LOL.

Mostly I opened stuff and put it away today. But most important things getting done now.

Attachments

• photo285764.jpg
    photo285764.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
It is 58 raining and windy as heck. I had to carry rock to make a place to go from the sidewalk into the boat so it didn't get muddy inside.

I laid plastic down on the garage floor. At first i was marking then cutting with scissors. Then my hands were getting sore and it hit me. Hey ding dong see if this stuff cuts alright with a razor knife. So I put a piece of scrap plywood under it and did the rest with the razor. Much easier and a better cut.

Got all the tabbing for the stringers cut. Bagged and tagged them.

I used up all the leftovers from last round first. I Haven't even opened the new CSM yet.

Tired now take a break till tomorrow LOL. I got plenty of time before it gets warm outside.

Attachments

• photo285808.jpg
    photo285808.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285809.jpg
    photo285809.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
I been a cuttin fool today as well. I got the underside of the deck all tabbing done got miles of 1708 left for the stuff I need to do. I just ordered 10 more yards of CSM just for sheets and giggles. It is cheap and I know i gonna want some. The rest should be done with the 1708 tho.

Break over back to work now.

chevymaher

Commander
Weather is killing me here. I keep going out faithfully and checking the temps in the boathouse. Good news is when it is sunny and clear it is getting 10 degrees warmer than out side.

It was 30 this morning. And got to 40 but in the tent it was 52 on the thermometer I leave laying on the bow of the boat.

The boathouse/tent deal is really earning its keep now. We had a big wind storm and some big branches came down. Made a little hole in the top. I used some vynal and gorrilla glue to patch it. But it stopped a 5 inch diameter 5 foot long branch from smashing into the boat. Probably saved the windshield.

I fired the weed whacker and lawnmower up. Just to see if they were ready. The lawn mower I left the gas on all winter DOH. So I used a drill with a socket to spin it till it returned to life.

Then I sat in the garage with sissors and cut the scraps of CSM up for making peanut butter with and watched a movie.

All I know is I can check the weather and look at that thermometer all I want. That watched pot just wont boil.

Last edited:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
don't feel bad got my tank figured this weekend id be out making coffin for it then realized it was only 55 inside the boat in the shade .... grrrr!

chevymaher

Commander
I didn't even unpack the glass buckets because I knew it is strong. Garage is getting the sweet glass smell in there. Right through the buckets and packing.

chevymaher

Commander
CSM just arrived. It is cold and snowing so I haven't done much. Just riding out the storm so to speak.

I did play with the new sewing machine and the vynal scraps. Getting the seams and such I will use on the bow cover and roof practiced.

chevymaher

Commander
And the waiting is the hardest part......a little Tom Petty for ya!!

You got that right.

I actually found something to do this morning. The 2 flaps of material behind the rear seats that snap to the floor hiding the trim pump on one side and the battery on the other. I took them out and made new ones. I had the vinyl for it. New machine sure makes sewing a lot easier wish I had it all along.

Meanwhile the weather is being mean still. Yo-Yo ing back and forth. Last year it was 70-75 degrees all march this year it is 50-52- 58 then dropping back to freezing.

Wish I had the guy from Cinema sins to narrate this for me. Mother nature would be getting a sheetload of sins. Ex Machina.