Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Just catching up with your progress. A bunch of posts your were asking about flotation foam, I think you called it insulation. If you have some small cavities to fill that are somewhat square, the blue or pink foam insulation sheets work great. If you are replacing the flotation foam in the hull, the 2# or 4# pour able foam is the best. Both of these foams are closed cell and will last forever. Canned expandable foam should not be used at all. This stuff will absorb water much quicker than the urethane pour able foams.

Glad to see you're still hard at it. Keep posting the engine stuff here.....its all part of the restoration and interests most of us.;)

chevymaher

Commander
Glad to see you're still hard at it. Keep posting the engine stuff here.....its all part of the restoration and interests most of us.;)
I wondered about that since there is a engine forum it belongs in. I wont go there. I saw to many negative things. Get a new boat dont do this or that. Like repowering it is easier to buy a boat.

I am a licenced mech and build engines all the time for myself and friends. I am going to do as I want there. It be fine if not I will do something else not a biggie. I am just a Big Kid playing with my toy.

I already ported the head and am getting a bigger cam. So I was keeping that on the low. Review on this stuff were not good in the engine forum like I said. But here in the stix the ohio river rats I know do it all the time.

Honestly this isnt a needed thing in my life. It is my toy. I fully expect to rip this things motor apart and replace it several more times over the years. I am not going to be nice to it. I may get a bigger one. I am planning on supercharging this one in the future. First just get it in good shape so I can use it. It is like the chevelle to me. Beat it and if it breaks oh well on to the next motor.

I have not been doing alot the last week or so. I got plenty of time before boat ramps open. Finishing the hull is the main concern at this point. I can finish the motor in a day once I buy the parts. I been cleaning gasket surfaces and parts. Watching TV and waiting for it to warm up some before i move away from the electric heater to much.

Admiral graduated college recently so I been doing alot of family stuff related to that. I been hard at it since march when this tub got here I just relaxing a bit now.

Here are some pics I had in the phone I been passing around to my other boating buddies. My bayliner owning buddy blabbed what I been up to to another friend who he sees all the time but I only see periodically. He is coming over to see both the boat and the chevelle he hasnt seen it since I painted and got the top and chrome on it. And he just found out i got the boat. He wants to see the interior stuff. I already know he needs one to. His is the original stuff still.

He has the James Bond boat in the one movie. A wooden chriscraft correctcraft whatever it is. It is the same one in the movie. It is the first year for the fiberglass hull but it looks like a wooden one. He gutted it and re did it several years ago.

Anywho rambling aside. Pics now. Just for you Chuck LOL. It has a wasted oil pump first pic is the metal shrapnel that was in the oil pan. I got a chunk in the oil pump vanes and stripped the cam and distributor drive gears. In the boats past it lost a timing gear looks like. Reason i need a new cam. Like I wasn't getting a bigger one anyway LOL. But it gave me the excuse I needed just in case I was considering using the stock one.

Second pic the head in the vice for porting. I just deburred and smoothed the pocket and runner. They had terrible flash and mountains where the original machine work was.

3rd is basically just the head and intake/exhaust gasket surfaces being cleaned up. Block is wrapped n plastic now to keep out metal shavings from the head work. But it is done and ready to.

4 a close up of the bowl area after I got done fooling with them.

Last few days I been raising the quilt alot looking at the seats. It is motivating the heck out of me to push on. I about rested and ready to put my nose back to the grindstone.

As i mentioned in the last post i been prepping the admiral for the upcoming yard work. Retaining wall rock and a actual boat house. I a thinking 4X4 post concreted in with a 4X4 across the main doorway to be used as a gantry. Since like i said I plan on putting at least a few different motors in this thing over the years to come. And I need something to get this one in to. My cherry picker isnt cutting it. And I hate not doing my work at home and taking it somewhere to do it. But worst comes to worst i can get it in at my buddies place. I just hoping to have this done so I can do it here.

In a nutshell if I am gonna have a boat. I need boat tools to work with. As you can see my rest period doubles as a plotting and planning period.

Attachments

• photo283942.jpg
    photo283942.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo283943.jpg
    photo283943.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo283944.jpg
    photo283944.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo283945.jpg
    photo283945.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2

oldrem

Commander
Looking good. My old 40hp is the biggest engine I've ever worked on, but lucky to have a great son-in-law I can fall back on. He rebuilds mainly motorcycle engines now, but when his dad had his shop they did everything up to top fuel dragster engines.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Hey man, its your boat, your project, your fun. Don't let anyone discourage you. Sounds like you'll be cranking out the HP, with less weight, less money, and less gas. Bonuses where I come from.

chevymaher

Commander
I been doing the taxes. Giggling to myself here comes the boat money.

Odd weather we had. Son went to a birthday party at a pool. We wore swim suits flip flops and tee shirts. Drove to the pool with the windows down it was 70 degrees in January? Wow it gonna have to snow in april to make up for this LOL

I started the boys swim lessons while we were there. He got to be able to swim if he gonna be on this boat all the time.

I been relaxin still alot. It is winter can't do nothing. Just taking it as it comes. Sitting watching TV and cleaning parts. But I am getting friskty feeling warm weather right around the corner.

chevymaher

Commander
Well it is decent out. Warmish. was 45 degrees when I was out there. I guess this marks the end of my rest/lazy period.

I cut up the old interior parts so they fit in the trash. Then went through the scraps and threw away anything i didn't think I had use for. Can is now full.

Then I missed being in the silly thing so bad. I took all the covers and tarps off of it. Just got in and looked. I was very happy this car port deal is keeping it dry as a bone in there.

I was looking at the stringers where I got to clean them up for the tabbing. And fillet them. I need to get in it next time and make a bunch of measurements. Then see how they going to fit on the 1708 and CSM as it comes from them. So i can estimate how much I need for the final round. And eliminate as much waste as possible.

I had the bow cover inside measuring it for making a new one. Yard and a half plus what I got left for that.

I need to make a list of snaps I need both sockets and studs.

I decided I am going to have the head resurfaced at the machine shop i use just for good measure it is cheap enough to get done.

Start getting the engine parts list together and where I am getting everything. So when it is time it is just a plug and chuck situation.

And scarey as it is I need to see how i going to get this carpet in and do the same with that. Draw it out all I need and piece it in the puzzle for less waste like I did the wood making the parts.

I know carpet bad. But I like the look and it is the way it came. And I intend to go through anything i have to to keep it dry inside. Wet vac it make people stand on the swim platform and dry off before getting in. Remove the covers and tarps to let it dry after use.I am even buying a set of red matching towels just for keeping in the boat.

I sat on my bucket inside and made my little motorboat noises like a kid.

I guess my hibernation is over time to get the paper work done to complete it. Like i did when I disassembled it. And when I got what i have done started. I got a ream of paper down there with notes and measurements. Complete desciptions of everything so I can get it back together pictures and all.

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
No shame in the carpet man. Your wife and son will appreciate it and so will your feet. I know the hard surfaces are attractive cause they’re easy to clean. Problem is they get slippery, hot, and reflect the sun back in your face. Like the rest of your boat, if it’s well taken care of, even carpet will last a very long time. I just didn’t go nuts wrapping every piece of wood in my boat like the factory did. The Chap factory wrapped EVERYTHING! That’s definitely a problem because some parts of the boat can’t dry very well. Carpet belongs on the floor. My .02.

chevymaher

Commander
Was out and about. The place i get my oil and filters does not have a WIX filter for the boat. Well that sux. Later when I get back home i got to cross reference see what does fit it.

chevymaher

Commander
Home now got that handled. I looked at the filter it came with. Cross referenced it on the wix site chart. Wont be tough for me to remember now. It is the same filter my 68 chevelle takes.

It is decent out and I got my clipboard I going into the boat to make measurements for carpet and flotation foam I am going to get.

Early I was making the parts list for everything. It is on again.

chevymaher

Commander
Just got back form the lawyers office. Taxes electronically filed. Lawyer said 2-3 weeks it is money in the bank. Taxes are always a stressful thing. You never know if your the windshield or the bug this year. I was the windshield this year.

On the way Home the admiral said your acting like a little kid. I said but the boat and trailer for all intents and purposes is done now. Just go with me on this act excited.

So tomorrow back to making the list of the final order.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
you go boy! I think I saw a glint of sunlight on the way home from work this morning. Getting a little promising.

chevymaher

Commander
you go boy! I think I saw a glint of sunlight on the way home from work this morning. Getting a little promising.

LOL I used to do farm work in high school and construction for years. The ol boat is continuing old traditions now in those areas. I keep watching the weather forcast like a hawk.

Seems as I suspected. When we have a warm January here as we have had. We pay for it later. And they are predicting lower than normal temps in feb. I am okay with that it just means 30's longer. Jan is the bad boy here.

I am still doing my armchair boating here LOL. Living vicariously through others post and making my shopping list out. This morning it dawned on me. Add out drive gaskets and impeller to the list.

The admiral was sensing the chicken with the head cut off syndrome as i worked. She said don't worry your toy will be fixed soon.

oldrem

Commander
LOL I used to do farm work in high school and construction for years. The ol boat is continuing old traditions now in those areas. I keep watching the weather forcast like a hawk.

Seems as I suspected. When we have a warm January here as we have had. We pay for it later. And they are predicting lower than normal temps in feb. I am okay with that it just means 30's longer. Jan is the bad boy here.

I am still doing my armchair boating here LOL. Living vicariously through others post and making my shopping list out. This morning it dawned on me. Add out drive gaskets and impeller to the list.

The admiral was sensing the chicken with the head cut off syndrome as i worked. She said don't worry your toy will be fixed soon.

I hear you all the way. No temps predicted here above freezing until mid month, then only in the 30's after that. I just keep wheeling one of my outboards into the garage when I know I'll have a few hours to tinker with it. Getting old fast.

chevymaher

Commander
Wife passed her licencing test for nursing. College is officially just a bad dream now. Stress is over.

I feel so much better i am working out. Then go work on this boat order paperwork i hate to do so much. I actually think i would rather grind fiberglass than do this part.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Congrats to your wife and passing her nursing test. I know that's alot of stress off you and your wife's back!
KC

chevymaher

Commander
Congrats to your wife and passing her nursing test. I know that's alot of stress off you and your wife's back!
KC

Thank you. Her back what about me. I had to deal with the attitude. Was in hobbyshop prison 7 years. Wasn't all roses being around her. LOL.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
When you see the $$ returns, you'll be Happy!
All 3 of my sisters and 2 sister inlaws went thru the program and it's intense. I know a guy who was corporate $$@65000.00 and left to go into nursing. It's a calling with good returns.
Credit due to her not you hahaha..
But I know your support system made it all happen too! Kinda like your boat.
All good!

chevymaher

Commander
When you see the $$ returns, you'll be Happy!
All 3 of my sisters and 2 sister inlaws went thru the program and it's intense. I know a guy who was corporate $$@65000.00 and left to go into nursing. It's a calling with good returns.
Credit due to her not you hahaha..
But I know your support system made it all happen too! Kinda like your boat.
All good!

All I know is it has been years since i seen her actually smile.