Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
I am up rested and ready for the salt mines.

Now I have a question. I know that doesn't happen often. I am a reader mostly. Since this silly boat is getting redone and looks so much better. Capacity plate. The one in it is a sticker and peeling on the edge faded just looks bad and wont match the boats condition when done.

I found them on E Bay that are metal and NOS.

Question is this can I just replace it with one of those. Just match the persons and weight with what it has now. So if I get stopped and inspected are the coast guard unreasonably Psychotic types. Or will they just accept I replaced it with out a supreme court ruling and a lawyer on board.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
You can just put the old one in the glove box in case anyone questions you.

zool

Captain
Ive been boarded by CG and marine police a few times each and neither ever looked at the capacity plate..the popo checked registration and looked in our eyes, and the CG checked the life jacket count and the horn and stuff...Inboards and i/o's dont have a max hp rating and the people capacity is usually way more than you would have on board, My imperial is rated for 17 people max and to be honest, over 6 ppl on board and I would be throwing them overboard myself ;)

chevymaher

Commander
Sounds good to me. I have been through some ridiculous stuff with car restorations. Nothing wrong impound it and you got to prove your case and it was always over something stupid like this. Just checking my P's and Q's before I do something that would make them fear for their life.

My buddy with the bayliner said they don't smile and are generally nasty and act like azzes around here just because they can. I just don't want to give them what they consider reason to be worse than they already are.

LOL by the time I get this in the water I will have to renew the registration so I will have a extra sticker unused in the glove box for them to. I got enough life jackets for over capacity. I do need a new fire extinguisher tho.

I agree mine says 8 for capacity. 4 adults and some kids is my personal limit.

Anyway I just now finished a seat bottom. I am now halfway through the sewing of the main seating. I can't wait till this nightmare is over and back to simpler flat stuff.

chevymaher

Commander
Well I scored a little. My sister was cleaning out the house. Her husband passed almost a year ago. I got some boat stuff. I got gear oil and the pump to get it in the outdrive. Acetone and various other things like that. Couple bumpers.

I went out and took a hose and got the water out of the bayliners tarp for her and propped it up.

chevymaher

Commander
Well time to go down turn the TV and heater. Finish the last seat cover for the bases. Assemble them. Then 3 more seat backs to go.

Then on to the back seat. This takes a while but I am getting it whittled down.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

ot
Go back to sleep you're making me tired. ;)
Now I am tired LOL.

I got the seat bottom finished sewn. Covered the foam in plastic like they had it. Got all 3 assembled.

Cut glued and screwed the last 3 seat backs.

Got these 3 to do and back to easier stuff.

I need to go get a bunch of stainless screws soon to. The old ones were wasted. So I can assemble this mess on the tracks. I have to clean the tracks up and make them look presentable and grease them up.

Attachments

• photo281525.jpg
    photo281525.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo281526.jpg
    photo281526.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Separated the one seat back. Made patterns. Marked and cut the peices.

Just in case you ever wondered what 3 seats looked like before they were seats.

Attachments

• photo281552.jpg
    photo281552.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

I got the Ceremonious FLB Award with Honors this morning starting out. That is Fat Loser Boy to you and me. I sewed 2 pieces wrong had one backwards. So I enjoyed my award and painstakingly took them apart Hate when that happens.

I got the caps to the seat I had apart together right second round. Did all the needed piping first. Got all 3 of the main seats pleats done.

Went to Wal Mart and got thread some extra bobbins for the JC Penny machine. So I don't have to re thread the silly thing every time the bobbin runs out. And paint for the seat backs.

I shaped and sanded and painted the backs. There is snow south of here so now was the time. 40 degrees and raining or not. It isn't getting any better than now. So I sat under the car port froze and did that. Before it is to nasty to do it at all outside.

Pics first the work on in progress. That is my JC Penny on top of the white machine which is folded into its cabinet. I use it to do the pleats. Isn't worth a nickle on piping but is great for flat stuff.

And the seat backs in the compromise zone. Not really in or out and the door open. Let them air out a little out of the rain. Keep the admiral from Court Marshaling me stinking up the basement with paint fumes.

Attachments

• photo281575.jpg
    photo281575.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo281576.jpg
    photo281576.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Man that is a lot of sewing....I should have paid more attention in Home Economics so I don't have to pay for upholstery work.....:blue:

chevymaher

Commander
Yes it is chuck. Machine runs wide open all day.

I got the seat cover on the bench is about done now. I will have it together tomorrow and start stripping the next one.

It is taking about 2 days a seat now. From over a week a piece for the first 2.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Been at it since 5 am and I am done for the day.

Here is the seat back completed. And the next pic is the one i am working on's remains.

Getting better at this now. I got the piping out of the victim with out even completely disassembling it this time.

Got this one machine sewn and ready for the hand sewing with the needle nose pliers.

When I take the admiral to work I am going to stop at the hardware. I need to re cop staples and I am getting some stainless screws to put these things back on the tracks when I am done.

I would say less than a week left on these parts. One and a half more backs to do.

Attachments

• photo281627.jpg
    photo281627.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo281628.jpg
    photo281628.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Looking pretty sharp Chev!
Thank you.

Some of the pleats got wrinkles where they are contoured but overall I am very happy with them. They seem to slowly work out as they stretch and age. And originally it had the same thing in places as I mentioned. Much better than what it had tho. Rips tears stains AND wrinkles LOL.

The rear seat has no contours so they will be perfect. That is the last of the dreaded double 2 colored piping. If I wasn't so anal and wanting it factory looking and used single piping there this would have been done a long time ago. But to me it is worth the PIA.

LOL I dread doing the hand sewing part it is a PIA. I a fighting the urge to assemble the side I got all the parts done on. But I will forge on and complete the seats first.

I am refueling on coffee and waking up. I slept in today. Well for me sleeping till 7 is sleeping half the boat work day away. About to go down and make the donuts.

It is cold and nasty here now and they are predicting 3 snows in a week next week. But that is a good thing lets get this horse and pony show over so spring will arrive and I can go back to glassing the deck together. Then the fun part begins. The count down. Carpet interior motor tick tock. Running it and getting it ready.

I got bunkers to do. I think one might float off if i use it the way it is. But I do think i will splash next summer if I keep the pace I got going.

My brother is dumping money in the Baja now getting ready for next summer now. He had no rot lucky dog. He ordered new material for the interior. New dash gauges. Buffed it out making new graphics for the sides like the sport had. Checkered flag deal in the back. That will be one nice boat to. 2 long term hot rodders and muscle car restorers have heard the sirens call and are mindlessly walking into the sea following the call.

chevymaher

Commander
In the garage now. Just fired the heater up.

I forgot to mention in my post.Last night I downloaded a android app that was pretty cool for the boat. And tested it last night driving. GPS speedo and compass with miles traveled. I like it and it works. From the google store. digihud is the name.

Now i need to make a stand on the dash for the phone on the right side. So I can keep the phone plugged in the USB port on the stereo and be out of the way. Thinking one of those suction cup deals,

oldrem

Commander
In the garage now. Just fired the heater up.

I forgot to mention in my post.Last night I downloaded a android app that was pretty cool for the boat. And tested it last night driving. GPS speedo and compass with miles traveled. I like it and it works. From the google store. digihud is the name.

Now i need to make a stand on the dash for the phone on the right side. So I can keep the phone plugged in the USB port on the stereo and be out of the way. Thinking one of those suction cup deals,

With the amount of vibration in a boat, I wouldn't trust a suction cup to hold for long