Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Any progress is good progress. If I can ask, what are you paying for the Vinyl @ Joanns??

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Any progress is good progress. If I can ask, what are you paying for the Vinyl @ Joanns??

19.99 a yard. Please don't tell me you get it for 7 dollars or some thing after i got it all LOL.

And here is a pic for you woodenglass. It is a temp deal and will come off when I am done. A spring from the junk drawer and 2 zip ties. Extra tension on the friction drive. Sanded the rubber wheel with 400. Then cleaned it all with Goof Off to get any oils off of it. So Far so good working like it should. Hold the wheel still it barely spins. So if it needs more than that something is hung up and needs attention. Bobbin wrapped up whatever.

Attachments

• photo281132.jpg
    photo281132.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Wow site was off line I was jonesing for a boat fix. My van site had to be wondering why is this clown back posting.

Well rain and wind are over now here for a while. I am going to wash and wax my van so it is pretty cruising around. I got to open up the boat and put up the boat cover props the wind knocked down. Love the car port. No big puddles in the covers from the storm. It is so relaxing when it rains now. Just knowing no water is getting in the boat. No wonder these poor things rot keeping water out is a constant battle if it is stored outside.

Then back to making the donuts. Making the seat covers and shaping the bases.

chevymaher

Commander
I made a motorcycle seat of this stuff 7 years ago on my buddies goldwing. It seems to do fine. It sits outside all year still looks like the day I put it on. It does seem to be the same quality as Four winns originally used. Joanns had the colors I wanted so that was a non issue. They had the original colors as well.

Okay you made me look at the specs on both. Same cold crack rating so don't use the boat when it is 10 below zero I can do that LOL.. Same durability rating 50000 dbl rubs. Same flammability. A non issue I don't plan on burning the boat. Both are anti mildew treated no specs for that. Only real difference is the UV Joanns is tested 300 hours. And the Allegro is tested for 650. So in the long run who knows what that means. They are both made of the same materials.

This boat will be cared for like my chevelle is once it is done. I fully intend to build a garage over it and it will be in a heated enclosure.

That crows foot came I had to modify it to get it to fit the machine now the needle doesn't line up. I am still messing with getting it to work. I got to make some shims for it.

Next seat bottom it machine sewn I am putting the caps on now.

My son is having a B Day party this weekend and the admiral informed me I am cleaning carpets tomorrow. Boat gave the van a leak in its tire. I had to fix that yesterday. I got a staple in a tire. The fun never ends. Moral of that story don't sling the staples around taking them out. Throw them away.

Well back to sleep so I can work in the morning. Smoke break is over.

Hauger

Seaman
Okay, that's been a great 37 page read...you've done great work, can't wait to see it completed.

I'm especially interested in how you plan on finishing the lip between the bow section "floor" and the decking. My Crownline has a similar fiber/gelcoat bow floor (integrated into the cap) and I've been pulling my hair out trying to imagine how I'd finish it, thus really looking forward to seeing how you tackle that little finishing detail.

chevymaher

Commander
Okay, that's been a great 37 page read...you've done great work, can't wait to see it completed.

I'm especially interested in how you plan on finishing the lip between the bow section "floor" and the decking. My Crownline has a similar fiber/gelcoat bow floor (integrated into the cap) and I've been pulling my hair out trying to imagine how I'd finish it, thus really looking forward to seeing how you tackle that little finishing detail.

Thank you.

The bow rider hall is easy. There is a peice of wood cut to the shape of the bow hallway floor. It is covered in carpet and screwed into the deck under the fiberglass. There are little chrome rings on the screws so it looks nice. The deck carpet up over into the hall a couple inches. Then the wood over that. Then it is a seamless transition. On the edges there is teak trim helping to finish it in.

Hauger

Seaman
No Title

That's what was in the boat originally...what I'm wrestling with now is the carpet under the hall seems to have trapped moisture and rotted out the support wood. I'm hoping to go carpet-less but I still can't figure out how to finish that lip.

This is a pic of what I'm dealing with. In any event, I'm still going to follow to see your progress!

Attachments

• photo279199.jpg
    photo279199.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo281210.jpg
    photo281210.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Welcome to follow. If your going carpetless. I would get a moulding from lowes. I assume your going to put the antiskid surface down on the deck doing that. Put one at that edge and put the anti-skid surface over it into the hall from the deck. That would give it a finished purposeful look. Just mask the side of the hall and do the floor in there. I am suffering the extra work of the carpet. I am just going to wet vac it out every use ad go through the pains of drying it. It made it 30 years sitting out in the rain with no covers I am sure it will last longer cared for.

Admiral wants carpet and I admit I like the look to. Just try to limit water getting in the boat. Keep a towel in the boat. You go swimming stand on the swim deck and dry off before coming back in. My Brother in law started that tradition 30 years ago so my family is all broke into that one.

Getting that carpet out from under there was a pain on mine to. I just got it loose on the sides and Hurcules-ed it. Pulled untill it ripped in half. In the skii lockers and bow storage I will not attach it once it is finished. Just cut 3 peices that fit and remove them to hang and dry when I am done boating for the day. Make those areas easier to keep dry.

Yesterday I got a call from my buddy with the bayliner. He gave me the muncie 4 speed for my chevelle and a hurst shifter. In exchange for future bodywork. Well he is calling in the favor now. He is doing a family deal. He is giving his car to his son in law to help them out of a pinch. They just need a good car. Well he got another newer one a woman turned on its side in a ice storm last year. It was a cherry before it got turned on its side. Nothing huge slide off the road in a gulley at slow speed into trees.

I went over and evaluated it. Told him what he needs to get. Bumper cover a fender. Paint supplies. Plastic to make a paint booth in his garage. I am going to do the bodywork and paint the side for him. It needs the 2 doors fender and bumper cover painted. It will be his driver so it wont take to long he isn't looking for show car. Just a factory looking paint job.

So I didn't do squat to the boat yesterday. Sat over there shot the bull with him and we did some hillbilly bodywork made the car more presentable to drive. Reattached broken parts popped out dents. Rattle canned the damage so it looks civilized again.

And this weekend is my sons birthday party so we going grocery shopping this morning. Then I got to clean yea. Shampoo the carpets. My whole family will come. No one has seem the boat except pictures yet. So I will have that untarped under the car port for a show and tell.

I may get to actually work on the seat some after I finish my domestic duties today.

Attachments

• photo281234.png
    photo281234.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That's what was in the boat originally...what I'm wrestling with now is the carpet under the hall seems to have trapped moisture and rotted out the support wood. I'm hoping to go carpet-less but I still can't figure out how to finish that lip.

This is a pic of what I'm dealing with. In any event, I'm still going to follow to see your progress!
Hauger...Good to see you pressing away at it!

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Okay I did get alot done today after all. Once I shampooed the carpets. I forgot the ol ritual get the heck out of my house so I can clean. I am with that to the garage I went.

I got the seat bottom cover sewn. Then out in hat gloves and heavy coat and shaped and sanded the 3 seat bases. Got those painted.

Then separated the next seat bottom and got the parts. Cut all the piping and parts for the last 2 seat bottoms.

Pics seat bottom done. Wood seat bottoms finished.

Tomorrow I got to clean the basement up some. I hate birthday parties. Why they in the basement I ask. Just do it.

Attachments

• photo281261.jpg
    photo281261.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281262.jpg
    photo281262.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
Hope every one has a good Thanksgiving today.

I gonna sew some before I go to my brothers to eat and get fat.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

As I mentioned My sons birthday party is tomorrow. So I was cleaning the garage real good. And it needed it bad. Got all the loose staples up. Don't want any more flat tires. I separated vinyl scraps into out to the garbage and possible ones that can be used. Vacuumed up all the saw dust from cutting wood in there. it to cold for me to go outside to do that now. Had to get the last batch of leaves gathered and mulched. The last big wind was depositing them back between the boat and house.

Waxed and cleaned the chev. Moved things inside it so I can fit more finished seats in it. Till I have it all done and can reassemble them on the tracks. It is literally full of boat trunk is full. And interior is full of the deck engine and gas tank parts. Back seat has the boat seat stands and completed parts piling up in it.

I think I will disassemble the last seat base tomorrow morning. Get the parts I need to make that one. Sew some Make the pleats and end caps. Try to get something done that don't make a absolute mess before the party starts.

Sunday I was informed I am putting up X-Mas decorations.

I haven't laid down on this I just had a Honey Do list to complete for the Admirals festivities. Thanksgiving holiday's and this party put a hamper on full steam work.

I was doing my day dreaming looking at boats on the net. I found my boat in red with red interior. Bow section is exactly like mine so no need to show that. But the cockpit section isn't done so I liked seeing how it will turn out.

Pics of the red boat with the top I have. It needs redone so it isn't trashed. It has stains and a mouse built a nest in it and chewed a hole in it.

And interior as it will soon be.

Next work session will be nice it is alot cleaner in the work area. Found my good scissors in the pile of scraps. They been missing a week.

Attachments

• photo281362.jpg
    photo281362.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo281363.jpg
    photo281363.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1

Skipper Sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking good. I can?t wait to get back to my boat project. I read over the pages in your post and feel inspired! If only I can get caught up at my shop and have some extra time.

chevymaher

Commander
Looking good. I can’t wait to get back to my boat project. I read over the pages in your post and feel inspired! If only I can get caught up at my shop and have some extra time.
That is why I have been getting up at rediculous hours like now. So I can get something done before my real work starts. I go till I am wore out then sleep in a little a few days.

The admiral has already got a list of things I got to do today involving doing some running. I just got my memos when she heard me getting up. I think I will go read your thread while I do the coffee thing this morning.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Got the last bottom apart and one of the backs before I got called up to do what i am supposed to be doing.

It was time this seat literally fell apart as I was taking it apart. It had no rips at all when it was wet and i took it out of the boat last spring. It dried and it cracked. I guess the material is just rotten from being wet all those years.

Attachments

• photo281366.jpg
    photo281366.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2

Skipper Sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is why I have been getting up at rediculous hours like now. So I can get something done before my real work starts. I go till I am wore out then sleep in a little a few days.

The admiral has already got a list of things I got to do today involving doing some running. I just got my memos when she heard me getting up. I think I will go read your thread while I do the coffee thing this morning.

There isn?t much to see on my thread as I am just getting started and all this adult stuff really gets in the way of my hobby😂😂

chevymaher

Commander
There isn’t much to see on my thread as I am just getting started and all this adult stuff really gets in the way of my hobby😂😂

Yes it does don't it. I got Christmas decorating to do today. Front yard and tree inside. But the Admiral is wore out from here party yesterday. So I hope she sleeps late. I am about to go down and continue separating seat parts. Just do them all now that I have a clue what I am doing and how it is done.

chevymaher

Commander
Well I got one seat sewn on the machine the part I can do on it. Pleats and end caps. Now I got 2 seat bases to sew by hand the double piping. Seat bases are almost finished now start on the backs. I am definitely getting faster sewing this stuff. No thinking now just work.

It was just in time I had 2 little pieces to do and the admiral said are you ready. I suspect the sewing machine running wide open woke her up LOL.

So now Santa and Rhudolph are out there and lights in the bushes. Tree up inside done. I am sitting in my chair now waiting for those 2 to finish putting on and endlessly adjusting the ornaments. Then I have my leave to do something else after I put the empty boxes in the shop till Jan. When we reverse the process.

Skipper Sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hopefully now you can go have a little boat work r&r. I have to go up and work on my office at the shop so it looks presentable for a Startup party I?m having there on Saturday. The shop is a wreck and the crew has to work in there all week yet.