Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
I got massive work now so I will be lagging on the boat a while. My engine hoist I lent out came back last night. That is several hours putting it back. I don't use it often so it is buried under a ton of crap. Go move it all and then stack it back on it. I got the lincoln straightened out yesterday. Backed into a post dented the quarter and busted a tail light.

That job bought me boot stripes and some GM 4200 for assembling the transom. I got to clean the rear of the boat off and buff it out before all this stuff goes back on. And the stripes are wasted back there. And they go under everything. Gimble housing and swim ladder braces. So now is the time to do it since it is all off.

I want the swim deck back on as soon as humanly possible. One it wont get stolen if it is bolted on. And 2 it looks like a complete boat when it is on sitting there.

Yesterday I did drill the gimble housing holes. The tie downs and the Skii pylon mounts. I got the tie downs on and sealed and mounted the skii pylon.

I got to get the gimble housing out there and test fit it before I finish sealing that up. I have to adjust the one side of the turning radius with a file and reseal that. It is off a hair and i just dont like it. It would probably work as is. Another thing I got to check on the test fit.

After I did the lincoln work I was working late on the boat. The admiral came out and said you look tired come in. It will still need fixed tomorrow.

chevymaher

Commander
Guess I should have done this before I posted. Just ordered the stripes. So as soon as I get my coffee in me go see what i going to get into.

chevymaher

Commander
Got the stripes off the transom. Cleaned the ton of sealer they had on it off. It is ready for sand and buff now.

I tag teamed today. Worked a while then took a break and did boat in short burst.

I basically did bodywork on the transom hole today. Laid in there with files and made it exactly like the hull opening. Into new wood in several places. Re glassed and sealed it. Then sanded that Cleaned the edges and re sanded it get rid of the chopped strand look. Then resin it over for the pretty I didn't do anything to it look.

Now if the gimbal housing fits correctly it is good to go. On to other things.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

A boat is all about being in water right? Well it isn't supposed to rain till 2 here. I got the out drive just about in now. I had one hole not quite square solved. Top was to tight. Filed it and it isnt through the glass so solved. Now i got one spot on the side. And I got to get in to see it. So I kinda hopeing this lets up so I can complete the mission before the thunderstorming starts LOL.

Attachments

• photo277194.jpg
    photo277194.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo277195.jpg
    photo277195.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
It is on now. I am not messing with it to get it off till the rain is over anyway. Little to much sealing the keyhole in a couple places going on there. I need to mark the low point on it to. So the tabbing isnt under it.

chevymaher

Commander
I got the gimbal out. I peanut buttered the transom edges. I sealed the gimbal housing through holes.

It looks like i will have enough resin to do the tabbing.

Found new gimbal seals I am sure it needs them they look rough.

My GM 4200 showed up yesterday. The new striping is at my post office. Looks like I will get them tomorrow.

I made a future scientist happy. I made a fossil there is a leaf in the resin peanut butter

In the garage I got a pic for when I go upstairs incase it didn't happen or something.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

stripes came ordered the transom seal. The white in the keyhole is the file marks. Never went through the glass just dulled it up real bad. It is a good fit now.

Attachments

• photo277322.jpg
    photo277322.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
You are like the Energizer Bunny...... you keep going and going and going.......

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

You are like the Energizer Bunny...... you keep going and going and going.......
I may be a stubborn old hillbilly but life taught me a couple things anyway.

If you think about it, it is a dream. If you want to make your dreams a reality. You got to get off your butt work till your about to drop. Rest and do it all over again.

I Was tired of thinkin about a boat I want one now.

Okay todays adventures between yard and garden work.

I wanted the custom deluxe bilge drain. Like the wood one I never will use but spent several hours whittlin on. I made a cone form. Put some csm in it and resin. Pulled the plastic off while it was at that magic moment. Once it hardened I took a grinder and a sander to it a while. Made it fit what I was workin with down there. Then I made a plastic tube and put it in the bilge hole. Mask it down from the outside. Shoved peanut butter in the hole. Covered the outside of the cone with pb. Then shoved it back in there over the tube. Took a file to it this morning and made it look presentable. Just in case your ever under the motor lookin. First pic.

All the mixing cups slag after cleaning them for today. Pic 2

I took the grinder to the PB and knocked all the wild hairs in the peanut butter down. Pic 3

Got the transom tabbed in. pics 4, 5.

Attachments

• photo277392.jpg
    photo277392.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 6
  • photo277393.jpg
    photo277393.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6
  • photo277394.jpg
    photo277394.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 6
  • photo277395.jpg
    photo277395.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 6
  • photo277396.jpg
    photo277396.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 6

chevymaher

Commander
I still got some resin left about a gallon. I talked to the admiral last night. I going to order some more CSM this morning to use that up. Encapsulate the stringers first. I got to do final trims on the stringers and I can put them in after they are waterproofed. Then final trims on the deck.

I got a bunch of 1708 left I need to cut into tabbing for all the stringers. See how much I will need more of that. Now that i see what i am using calculate what i will need to finish this barge glass wise.

I got to wait till spring to get more resin to finish. So I will put the swim deck back on and the gimbal, speedo pitot mounted. Do the stripes on the back before the gimbal. Run the wires on the transom. Re seal the through hull fittings. Cooler drain, tank vent. Weather is already cooling here past the 65 degree pint of glassing.

Once the final preps are done on the wood I got ready. It will go quicky. Tabbing the stringers is all that is left that is even a little hard. Doing the decks is cake.

Gimbal housing looks fine. But the outdrive I am going to sand down and re paint. It has been painted and looks fine but they didn't sand first and there are chips they just painted over we can't have that. But the bright side is it all has new stickers already on them.

Once I finish this resin I got I guess we back to where this circus started. Back to buffing the white and new stripes on the sides. Clean the work work bench off and start feshening up the ol wienie 3 liter.

chevymaher

Commander
I ordered more csm today. I spend the day in and out trimming the main stringers with the grinder. All 4 are ready now. Once they are encapsulated they going in for good.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

My transom seal is out for delivery so it will be here in a couple hours.

Since I am waiting supplies I worked on the back of the boat. Sanded and buffed the area between the swim deck and transom. Back of the swim deck. Stuff I couldn't get to once it was on.

Put the new stripes on the back. Under the gimbal and the braces for the swim deck. Got the swim deck on. That was a pain by myself.

Drilled and put in the bilge drain. Re sealed the through hull fittings, cooler drain and the Bilge pump outlet while I had the GM 4200 all over everything.

Then cleaned the excess sealant off of everything all over the back. Some people are such pigs when they work if you know what I mean.

Attachments

• photo277535.jpg
    photo277535.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo277536.jpg
    photo277536.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo277537.jpg
    photo277537.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo277538.jpg
    photo277538.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 4

chevymaher

Commander
So why aren't the stripes complete side to side? Just wondering.

They stop just past the outer lower braces for the swim deck. Just a good handy break point. The stripes run under the gimble housing and the lower swim deck bracing. Right now I just needed this part done to get the swim rack and gimble on. Needed that area complete so the future change are there. The small overlap will be the starting point for the full boot stripes around the corner to the bow. It is slightly different color than the existing stripes to match the lighter color interior material I am going to use. Tie it in.

Anyhow at the moment I am more concerned with making it a boat again. Than buffing the rest of the white out so I can finish these stripes.

chevymaher

Commander
LOL I think my brother needs to look at his boat alot harder for rot. He speaks highly of the guy and believes him when he says it is okay. But what I am finding on mine tells me he may be a little shady. He said mine was fine to. His idea and mine may be worlds apart tho.

Mine being it is serviced and go to go for years. His being it hasn't sunk yet LOL.

Well to the reason for the post. Somebody knew this boat was sinking LOL. Just new evidence on top of the old in this thread. I am cleaning the gimbal housing. You know clean it and mating gasket surfaces, Well after cleaning a ton of gm 5200 off of it everywhere. Some clown did not clean the mating surface and just painted over it and used a new seal a long time ago.

Well when i was cleaning it to repaint it. I found rotted wood under the paint.

Anywho problem solved and painted. Now go drop the wiring harness and clean the tons of fiberglass dust while the paint dries

chevymaher

Commander
Gimble housing in. And new transom gaskets are a wrestling match aren't they. Torqued to specs. Hard to be outside lining the gasket up while you got to be inside tightening. So Lots if in and out of the boat going on today.

Steering hooked up. Wires cleaned. Got the pitot tube through and all hooked up.

I can tell the outside working season is about over. Part of the tarping the boat ritual is now cleaning the leaves out of it. It says next week 40's and high in the 60's.

All sealing should be done now.

Next run the wires then tie them up out of the way. Then it is ready to finish the glassing.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey I was thinkin that pc. of whittled wood you made for the transom drain might go onto your shifter?