Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Well I had my first senior moment the other day doing the boat. My old azz put the steering radius on the wrong side. Boy I did a good job it looked so good. I was backing out to go somewhere and it hit me. Wow are you that stupid looking at it.

It rained yesterday all day so it was the perfect time to fix that. Made a mold in the transom. Used chopped strand and resin to fill the silly thing back where it started. Then after it hardened I block sanded it back down. No harm no foul just cost me a days work for nothing.

I think i know the answer already but I will ask to confirm. Gen purpose resin isn't any good for rebuilding the inside is it. I ask because I have found that and they don't want my first born as shipping fees. It is listed by the manufacturer as good for repair but not structural. Now we are splitting hairs here but it seems to me rebuilding the entire boat would be structural. Somebody clue me in.

Seems the weather is changing early here. Got so cold last night I needed a heater to drive late. It should be hot and muggy early in the morning here still.

So today I am going to lug the transom and set it in to see if the outdrive hole needs adjusted. I been debating to myself do I need to predrill all the holes and seal everything Use dowel rods in the drill spots or is the gm 4000 enough to prevent rot and leakage. I didn't seem to have any rot from the through hull into transom wood attachment points before. It seemed to all be coming form 2 spots where it wasn't encapsulated properly and leaking in. Open to suggestions there. I am willing to do the extra work.

And I haven't decided what else to do today I am leaning toward making the forward deck part so I can check stringer tolerances as I make them. Continue building the puzzle.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Todays adventures were.

I used what will be the outside stringers for guides. Screwed them to the underside of the front piece of deck that is still there. And to the tops of the bulkheads. That is the decks final level. Took hours worth of squareing things and measurements.

The curve again was cardboard. I attached the chalkline to the playhouse/lawnmower shack and pulled it out till I found the arc for making that curve. Drew it on with a pencil onto the cardboard. Transferred that to the wood. Only had to angle the bottom to fit so it was a good cut. Matches the original tabbiing on the hull so I am tickled with that.

Then I lined the transom up and lightly clamped it down where it will end up being. Pushed all over it to make sure when it was time it was going to lay down. It is fine. I Drilled 2 of the tie down holes out. And put bolts in them as guide pins. So returning the transom quickly to this position is quick and possible. When it is time to attach. I still got a bunch of work to do on the transom so it will be in and out a bunch more times.

I am going to seal permanently anything attaching to it below the water line. Above that I wont sweat just use the GM 4000 and seal it real good when assembling.

Attachments

• photo273453.jpg
    photo273453.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 8
  • photo273454.jpg
    photo273454.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 8
  • photo273455.jpg
    photo273455.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 8
  • photo273456.jpg
    photo273456.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 8

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I would be very leery about anything calling itself general purpose resin, not for structural repairs. Like your intuition is telling you. Stay away. You want a good quality unwaxed layup resin from a supplier who sells it frequently. Shelf life of polyester resin is around three months.

chevymaher

Commander
I would be very leery about anything calling itself general purpose resin, not for structural repairs. Like your intuition is telling you. Stay away. You want a good quality unwaxed layup resin from a supplier who sells it frequently. Shelf life of polyester resin is around three months.
LOL I knew that would be the answer. I found this resin and with shipping it was 120 bucks. You heard me right 10 bucks shipping no haz mat fee. I just needed smacked back to reality. I could swing that even now and get the transom permanently in. And they don't sell the kind i really need i looked.

chevymaher

Commander
No pics today. Rain moved in quick and ahead of schedule. So I was scrambling to put electrical tools away and tarp up the barge. But I got a main stinger rough cut. It be just fine once all the angles are put in it.

And I guess the response they wouldn't make money if they actually did a good job cutting the wood is correct. I am not exactly burning up speed records here. Averaging 5 hours a piece of wood. But I am making it ridiculously close to the hull shape. All angles everything. If I worked for four winns I would be fired for sure.

I got the transom clamped in. I reckon once it is glassed the rear angle against the transom will need trimmed. I mean factory spec I got a couple inches to work with here LOL. 2 seconds make the trim with the circular saw DONE I SAY. Get as much ready as I can so assembly required goes smoothly when I get to that point.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
You are moving along nicely. As for the resin, I am with ChevyMaher: If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck.... Its a duck.

chevymaher

Commander
I been playing rain tag today.Working under the tarp. I did get the other main stringer rough cut before the onslaught of heavy rain. Slight adjustments to the other one and used it as a pattern.

Now it is raining to hard to even be going back and forth so I guess game over for the day.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Well after going to the college book store It wasn't raining. So I got to work on the boat.

I got the bottom against the hull of both main stringers done. Now they need the tops worked on. Engine compartment cut outs and cross braces and there are several of them. Cut the double ups for the top where the deck attaches. But we made good progress today anyway. The 10 million curves and angles pieces are done on the curves and angles.

Got alot of exercise doing this today. Trim with the grinder. Climb in and test fit mark it. Climb out. Rinse and repeat for hours.

I am going to make guide pins through them into the bulkheads for ease of taking them in and out for making the rest of it.

Attachments

• photo273708.jpg
    photo273708.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 10

SHSU

Got alot of exercise doing this today. Trim with the grinder. Climb in and test fit mark it. Climb out. Rinse and repeat for hours.

Nothing like getting exercise and enjoying it!!! I will have to keep that in mind for the future, tell the admiral the boat project is my exercise plan.

chevymaher

Commander
I made the guide pins and they work really well. Coat hanger bent a circle at the end. Shimmed them and drilled in at a downward angle. You can sit on them while your work.

I got 2 cross braces cut in and the outer stringers shaped. Then washed the van and cut the grass. I am beat. But now i got my work out of the way and can go back to the boat in the morning.

Tomorrows adventure is getting the 2 major under deck braces that are under the seats done. They extend past the deck and make the lip the skii locker teak piece sits in. I am going to get the skii locker hole into the front piece of deck. So I will be foolin with that area all day

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

I took a pic of one of the guide pins.

I took the main stringers out and cut the top for the underdeck bracing. It ended at the stringer before and they had wood attached to the bottom of the deck to hold the skii locker door up. I just ran it across to do that.

Cut the skii locker hole in the bracing and deck.

Basically that was it a long day. Lots of rinse and repeat going on.

Attachments

• photo273889.jpg
    photo273889.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 9
  • photo273890.jpg
    photo273890.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 9
  • photo273891.jpg
    photo273891.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 9

SHSU

I took a pic of one of the guide pins.

I took the main stringers out and cut the top for the underdeck bracing. It ended at the stringer before and they had wood attached to the bottom of the deck to hold the skii locker door up. I just ran it across to do that.

Cut the skii locker hole in the bracing and deck.

Basically that was it a long day. Lots of rinse and repeat going on.

You going to fill with pout in foam under that deck?

chevymaher

Commander
You going to fill with pour in foam under that deck?
Yes it is getting the foam. Every where it had it before. Under the skii locker. Under the tank. Under the decks. And it had it in the side things arm rest I keep calling them. They are actually the shelf in the side storage compartments. Cup holders in there to. But with the side panels off they look like arm rest.

I want it to be exactly the way it was new. Except take the time to correctly seal everything. And better craftsmanship on all wood parts.

The dark maroon in the interior will be a brighter shade. And the stripes on the sides will be that lighter color to tie it all together. The admiral as I mentioned when we were looking at the fabric choices made the call on the more colorful vinyl. I like it better myself. But that is a adventure for later. Sewing with Susan making the interior.

Once this is done as far as cutting the deck parts. I have to take the bow rider cushions out. One I know needs a wood back made. Who know what other fun I will find. From reading threads. The forward most bow backrest cushion you cant get behind it to get it off. It basically has to be destroyed to get it off. Again future adventures for the winter months.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I like the foam , it gives good extra support imho, as far as the foam goes make sure you put a hole at bottom of compartment allowing each compartment to drain out because condensation can form and then you will get waterlogged foam over time if it has no where to drain out. only takes 20 degrees difference if i recall to make condensation so boat sitting in early morning sun baking on outside could allow condensate to form in that compartment.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

I got all the holes it had before for drains marked. And I will put them back where they were. Thanks Mick for the heads up. I was wondering what was going on since it was solid foam inside the holes.

Today i got the 2 rear decks cut and in for the test fit and moving on with the project.

I was laying out the engine compartment when I noticed I missed a measurement. Never a good thing. So basically I reverse engineered from the pics and measurements I did have. It is marked and ready for cuts now.

So I was measuring the tank making sure it fit now that the bulkheads are in permanently. No problems there.

Next there was the 2 inch strip the engine compartment sits on. I had the squares out put the rear seat in. Anyway it is handled. No problems plenty of room for everything. Just had to think a while and hurt myself some more.

And in the middle we had a Earth Shattering event that slowed me down for hours. Seems my wife was cleaning and my son couldn't get to the charger for his tablet. So he took it into the computer room and plugged his charger in. Well the tablets plug and the laptops are identical. Poor guy came to the basement face all red. He plugged the wrong one in and fried it. OMG the wailing and gnashing of teeth was terrible. So I had to find another one and order it or I think he would have needed psychiatric care the rest of his life LOL.

Attachments

• photo273943.jpg
    photo273943.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 8
  • photo273944.jpg
    photo273944.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 8
  • photo273945.jpg
    photo273945.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 8

SHSU

Pictures and notes are always project savers!!!!

Bummer on your son, done that a time or two myself...

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

The grinder switch has been acting up already. My son said is it broke? I said yea it is getting that way. LOL he said welcome to the party.

I got both engine bay cut outs done in the decks and stringers. Remainder was spent making the parts for the cut out.

Those 5 parts are glued together now. But not attached to the deck or stringer. That way they are a one piece deal. Fli[p it over glass the bottom. Then put it in and glass it down.

The starboard most part is like a mini stringer. The front parts are elevated. That way the foam can run and fill the entire gap. Or that is my thinking on it anyway. Very similar to what was there before. Minor changes.

It dawned on me for the missing measurement. The tabbing for the old parts would show. Engine compartment is a inch longer and a 1 1/2 wider now but still perfect for the existing engine cover. I made it as wide as the bolt down points were.

Let that dry while I do the other side. Then both can dry while I make the skii locker bottom and tank floor. And I got to make the side brace holders for the tank lid. Side compartment deals need made also.

I still need to pick the lock for the glove box. I bet the stereo face plate is in there and who knows what else I got everything needed with this boat. At worst I will have 2 faceplates now.

Attachments

• photo274007.jpg
    photo274007.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 8