Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Man that sucks.
Yes it does. It is like George Carlin said. It is a Club and you ain't in it.

Woman said I have to find a co they make it for and get it there. Maybe then I can get a pass to just pick it up there. Company red tape. Thing is they supply us composites. She couldn't find the one in florida on their list but there is another branch they have up north. Anyway I am working on it trying to get though the maze of red tape. I got some numbers to continue the game of phone tag with,

But I got a bunch of polyester waxed resin form doing car work down there and cloth and chopped strand. I can do small repairs a while with. I going to fix the glass on the upper parts where the interior attached. And the glass is just loose where the screws held it on. I am going to do what four winns did in other places. Just attach a piece of wood behind it to screw to using the chopped strand.

Pep Boys is actually cheaper for it with my discount. By the time you figure in the hazardous shipping fee you miss by picking it up. It is waxed resin. But they do have it. They sell it in gallons. Not what I am going to do but just saying. No stone is getting left unturned in the search.

I got time. I am planning on the glassing going on in the spring. Untill then I will be whittiling wood and doing other things to the boat.

I am real pleased with one thing. I had a hull deformation from the stringer being flat gone for 2 foot. I have been bracing it and it is practically perfect again there. Slowly working its way out.

I am actually kinda excited just to unmask the dash and see it again on the next work interval I get to have with the boat cleaning the nasty out of it.

My titles to the boat and trailer arrived yesterday. So I got to finish buffing the white so I can get registration number and put them on. Back of the boat under the outdrive and swim deck needs more work to. Now that I got access I can really make it shine.

And as a remembrance of the grinding. Today I get to crawl in a attic area and run wiring for new lights. Ah 50 year old insulation and dust in 150 degree temps. Wow the itch and unbearable heat. Just like grinding on the boat. Fond memories.

Well off to work tomorrow i maybe get to play with the boat some more.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Chuck you were right. That dust was everywhere. I had the cooler sealed and taped off. It had a 1/4 inch in there. It floated in the drain it seems.

After several hours of rinsing and draining it was finally clean enough to get in. I laid in the floor and hosed into the bow section. I cleaned the tarps. Washed and dried the boat and trailer. Cut the grass while it dried and put the tarps back on.

That was the first time I had the bow cover off and sat up there. I scrubbed it all out. I got to take that interior out to. One of the wood backings for the cushion is totally wasted falling apart. From the eternal leak between the cockpit and bow covers.

Now I got to get a hold of some cardboard somewhere to make a transom pattern. I am going to pick up wood for the transom next week is the plan.

Attachments

• photo271550.jpg
    photo271550.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 8
  • photo271551.jpg
    photo271551.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 7

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
From that front picture, you have a very pretty boat there. Once you get it all repaired properly she will be a beauty on the water

chevymaher

Commander
I have been material shopping. I found BCX plywood and that is the best they got around here.

I am working on a motorcycle right now as my work. Got to get money for this somewhere. Extra side jobs.

I need to get in the boat next chance I get and See how much I need of a couple things. Do the drywall thing see where the pieces gonna fit and how many sheets of 1/2 inch I am going to need on the deck and walls.

Searching fiberglass I took a break on for doing the wood calculations. Still in search of the elusive local supply. May have to bribe someone. Cheaper than shipping anyway.

I am also making blueprints form the disassembly notes in photoshop. Boat diagrams on graph paper labeled with dimensions. Be so much easier to read once I get started. I am having a time just deciphering the notes to just make the drawings. So in the long run it is going to help when work in that area actually starts. Easy reference material. On a few pages as opposed to 25 pages of hap hazard notes with sketches drawn when I had a mask and goggles on.

Since the old goal was met. Now it is getting the wood fashioned and fitting by cold is the new goal.

Then sand and paint outdrive and clean and test and rest the rest of the mechanicals in the winter months. I got plenty of interior work to do to. As you guys know it isn't all hull related.

Once I get the wood ready I may even have time finish buffing the white inside and out.

I been absent on reports but I been staying busy still.

SHSU

The side jobs we take on to fund our "Girls". LOL They eat up so much time and money.

You have been really moving along, I wish I was ahead of schedule.... I am about a month behind and will be about 6 months behind when finished. LOL I like the pace you set.

chevymaher

Commander
The side jobs we take on to fund our "Girls". LOL They eat up so much time and money.

You have been really moving along, I wish I was ahead of schedule.... I am about a month behind and will be about 6 months behind when finished. LOL I like the pace you set.
If you set a pace and goals. Then it is just work. Sure I want it done now but life and responsibilities come first.

I learned this from doing cars. After I had a kid. Nothing goes on schedule. Just don't sweat the small stuff and keep a good pace working. Less stress and more fun that way. Once you get bent it is aggravating and no fun at all.

Like my brother always says just don't panic it will get done.

LOL originally I was planning on having it together and in the water end of next summer. And that was before I knew I had to replace the deck. So I am really happy with the progress.

Like I said in the beginning. It had not got its niche in the work world since it was new to me and this place. Well it has now I get up ungodly early before light and start so I get something done before my normal duties. It lit a fire under my seat. Wearing me out tho.

chevymaher

Commander
I got in the boat today. More measurements and calculations. had the old chalk line in there making sure what I though I needed is what i actually did. Getting a extra sheet of half inch for interior things as well. I am sure i will need more but this will get the hull part done and alot of seat base and engine cover issues. Keep me busy for a while.

In the morning headed out first thing and pick up all the wood for it. Then I still need to find some cardboard for making the transom pattern.

Nothing picture worthy going on but i am still kickin on it.

SHSU

I got in the boat today. More measurements and calculations. had the old chalk line in there making sure what I though I needed is what i actually did. Getting a extra sheet of half inch for interior things as well. I am sure i will need more but this will get the hull part done and alot of seat base and engine cover issues. Keep me busy for a while.

In the morning headed out first thing and pick up all the wood for it. Then I still need to find some cardboard for making the transom pattern.

Nothing picture worthy going on but i am still kickin on it.

You can never have to much wood :lol:

Depending on where you are getting your wood, you might be able to pick up some boxes they sell for moving.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Well got the wood home and unloaded the wood into the garage. Here I was after loading it in the truck at the lumber joint.

And I forgot cardboard again. I really need that now to. I meant to get a foam board while I was there forgot that to.

Won't have to work out today. I think I moved every piece of wood they had there. Back and forth looking for the straightest non knotted ones. Grain running the correct way and so on and so forth.

Another step in the process completed.

Attachments

• photo272280.jpg
    photo272280.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 6

SHSU

Well got the wood home and unloaded the wood into the garage. Here I was after loading it in the truck at the lumber joint.

And I forgot cardboard again. I really need that now to. I meant to get a foam board while I was there forgot that to.

Won't have to work out today. I think I moved every piece of wood they had there. Back and forth looking for the straightest non knotted ones. Grain running the correct way and so on and so forth.

Another step in the process completed.

What are you using the 1x12 boards for?

chevymaher

Commander
Main stringers. That is what was there originally. They are actually 9.25 wide in the boat. I got to rip them. Piece goes at the top for under the decking. 2 wide. I am just replacing it the way it was originally.

I read and see the plywood is supposed to be stronger but. Once it gets wet the plywood is garbage. Don't plan on letting it get wet but if it does it definitely last longer.

Even as bad as my boat was. The wood mostly survived. The plywood all was disintegrated every place it was used. It had plywood stapled to the wood to hold it off the deck to be glassed in. Plywood was literally gone mulch. The wood was wet but still perfect. It lasted how long the way they had it. I will just put it back exactly the way they had it.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Was the plywood encapsulated in fiberglass? Just curious. I ran across the same thing with rotted plywood in my Chap. It was definitely due to them not paying attention to details when glassing. Obviously in a production boat that's to be expected. Either way you go, plywood or yellow pine the key to longevity is in the waterproofing and care after the restoration is completed.

chevymaher

Commander
I agree Chuck key is how it is prepared and cared for. Yes the plywood was always encapsulated. But they always left a dry spot in the glass where water could enter. Every black spot had a entrance where water was getting in I found. Transom had a quarter sized hole in the glass to bare wood. In the bilge area no less.

There was rotted wood specks all in the bilge. Well when I took the transom out. From the drain plug to that spot there was no wood at all. A cavity water was obviously leaking into the boat. I suspect that was why it changed hands to the guy I got it from. My brother said when he found out what I found demoing it he cussed the guy out because he knew. And said it was fine. The guy I got it from traded a nice chevelle for it. Basically he got took.

Worked out perfect for me tho so I am not complaining. I am still just tickled to death with the whole situation.

Biggest issue I saw was not wetting the surface before putting on the chopped strand. It was solid on top and dry underneath. Like I said I just pulled one 4 inch by 4 foot piece off no grinding needed. That was the big nasty rotted stringer section. Water pooling in the tank area. Squirrels blocking the drain hole. Thing that kills me the bare wood in the stringers. Under the deck were always okay. Soaking wet but solid.

And lets not forget they actually stapled right though the hull in one spot putting in the stringers. That was a leak LOL. Once I get the major stuff done I will fix the gel coat underneath from that. It is only a quarter sized area. Be 6 inches when I put on the new gel coat there. It is on the bottom it be fine it wont show if the color is off a hair. I got the inside prepped for a couple layers of cloth over that. Once that is solid go at the bottom. If you look in the one picture it is circled in black marker. The 2 white dots are actually gel coat. I got the bad spot tapered out. But I took out the bad fiberglass where the puncture was.

And after many second party discussions with the original owner of my boat. He thought he was taking care of it. He said it always was tarped when not in use. But the bow cover and cockpit cover don't cut it. He just didn't know any better. It leaked between the covers. Water ran down the windshield and under the bow cover. Vents in the back are exposed and water runs right in them. It was literally had water marks in the glass from water running down from those vents all these years. I got a full tarp on it and it don't get water in it any more.

So yes I saw what was wrong as I demoed it. I will correct these things by taking my time putting it together. Even if i got to grind bubbles out and reseal it.

My buddy who watched me do my chev calls me Charlie Anal when I am working. We were talking about the boat and my plans for it. He laughed and said I have no doubt. Remember that guy who used to be here when you built the chev, Well he is outside now doing your boat. You remember him don't you? Charlie.

And the house now has the sweet smell of pine in it. Free air freshener as a bonus. I don't think the garage has smelled good since I got here like this. Always had a burnt oil or bondo smell in it. But I digress.

chevymaher

Commander
It has been raining all night here. I went in search of cardboard. Well it is all ruined in eveyones dumpsters. So I go to wait to get some.

In the mean time I cleaned the dusty tools all up and put them away for a fresh start. Got the circular saw out and tuned it up. New brushes and oiled the bearings. Put a new blade on it. Tested and it is dangerous again. So it is ready cuts like through butter.

chevymaher

Commander
Got up opened the front door Flash of light and BOOM at the same time. Wow what a good morning to you. Well with torrential rain we have water issues here. Went to the garage and sure enough water under the back door. Moved the smaller 1x4's out from under the chevelle and moved them to the in the way dry section where the other wood is. Looked the outside drain was full of leaves. Unclogged that and water issue solved it drained away.

Boat tarp didnt leak so that was a good deal.

My wife has boxes they throw away at her work she is going to collect a bunch of them for me.

So maybe when this Noah type rain is gone I can get something done again.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Had to return a book for my wife in a different part of town than I usually frequent. So i went by the shopping center to look for cardboard. Ace is the place. They had a truck come last night so I was a dumpster diving fool.

The hot glue worked perfectly for holding the cardboard parts in place and assembling them for the pattern. I was laying whittling the various pieces for quite some time.

I used the bow in the wood to my advantage when I traced the pattern. Center away from the transom. So when it is clamped the outer edges will have force pushing them in instead of trying to curl out.

I will start cutting the first piece of wood tomorrow.

Even washed out with water it is still a little itchy being in there.

Attachments

• photo272584.jpg
    photo272584.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 7
  • photo272585.jpg
    photo272585.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 7
  • photo272586.jpg
    photo272586.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 7