Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Had to make a run for a B-Day present and while i was there found a 45 flap disc. I been using 65's because that is all harbor freight had when I got the grinder. About to go out and see what this does for me LOL.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Had to make a run for a B-Day present and while i was there found a 45 flap disc. I been using 65's because that is all harbor freight had when I got the grinder. About to go out and see what this does for me LOL.

I think you'll like how fast it cuts without much pressure. Just be careful, the grind quick.

chevymaher

Commander
I think you'll like how fast it cuts without much pressure. Just be careful, the grind quick.
I noticed that when I hit my knuckle.

I got the port outer stringer tabbing out/complete today. Was digging a drainage ditch through the middle at the end. So I can run a hose in it and the water actually drains. Wet vac is kinda out of comission till it is cleaned after I finished grinding. I been vaccuming it out then water and use a hose to siphon it out. I only did it once so far. But it is gonna get that again once I get this done. So I can really clean it before doing the finishing touches.

I thinking a dremel is the deal for cleaning the corners out that flap disc isn't getting in there. Have to hit the freight by the bay and get a new set of them. Unfortunately the triangle shaped on is the on I always use up first.

I am making good progress. I can see this coming together. I fantasize of cutting the wood for the transom as I grind.

Odd thing is it seemed like a impossible task before when I started reading the threads. I was sure i was going to mess the hull up bad grinding. But everything is okay. It is just as they said nasty hot sweaty itchy work. 80's with a mask goggles and sweat shirt on wow are we having fun yet?

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
I been working right along. I remember when I took the port outer stringer out. It creaked like when you pull a nail out. It had a staple sticking out. Now I know why. I found where the goof balls drove the staple into the hull.

I ground the injury out and tapered it. I will have to put a few layers of 1708 n it when I get the supplies for that. No outer hull damage. Not a big deal just wow really?

What!!!! Don't you know duct tape and staples fix everything

:frusty: :lol:

chevymaher

Commander
Just got back from the courthouse. I got everything transferred. Got my tags for both the boat and trailer. Now off to work. Not boat work just i got to work.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Just got back from the courthouse. I got everything transferred. Got my tags for both the boat and trailer. Now off to work. Not boat work just i got to work.
Ya... guess you have to work work to pay for all the supplies.

chevymaher

Commander
Ya... guess you have to work work to pay for all the supplies.
You got it. Like a baby bird sitting there with its head up. Feed me.

Damndest thing about getting older. Work real hard so you got money to work even harder on your hobby. And call it relaxation.

SHSU

You got it. Like a baby bird sitting there with its head up. Feed me.

Damndest thing about getting older. Work real hard so you got money to work even harder on your hobby. And call it relaxation.

Thats why we do it, for relaxation

chevymaher

Commander
Thats why we do it, for relaxation
It is relaxing. Knowing you got the quota of work done. I get a little stressed when I can't work on it a few days. Like now I got to much work.

Goal is to get it ready by freeze and start going together in the spring. I can't wait to start getting the patterns together. Get the wood for the transom. That will keep me busy a while whittling that down. Sand the outdrive down to paint in the winter months and finish cleaning the boat parts to look new for reassembly.

Anyway Happy 4rth of July everyone. Today no work of any kind. Grilling and fireworks today. There are a bunch of boats out here getting trailerd around. Ohio river is wall to wall boats in the stadium area this time of year. Now that i got one i am sensitive to seeing it. Lucky dogs.

SHSU

There are a bunch of boats out here getting trailerd around. Ohio river is wall to wall boats in the stadium area this time of year. Now that i got one i am sensitive to seeing it. Lucky dogs.

You will be with them soon enough!!! One thing I have become more attuned to is looking boats over with a more detailed eye thanks to Iboats. Seeing people drive by with their boats, and thoughts running through my head knowing that they have no clue how bad their boat is. LOL. I think being a member on Iboats should be a requirement for anyone that buys a used boat.

chevymaher

Commander
You will be with them soon enough!!! One thing I have become more attuned to is looking boats over with a more detailed eye thanks to Iboats. Seeing people drive by with their boats, and thoughts running through my head knowing that they have no clue how bad their boat is. LOL. I think being a member on Iboats should be a requirement for anyone that buys a used boat.

I hear you on the forum. I look at boats that are older and cringe now. They don't look near as well taken care of as mine was. Which wasn't at all apparently. I keep looking for stains in the transom at the drain plug as I sit behind them.

I see guys here just starting the tearout. And that old feeling of doom and despair returns briefly. The OMG what have I gotten myself into. But once you get as far as I am now it is just a thing keep working it will be over.

I saw a friend of mines boat on facebook. A 66 Chriscraft he had to do all this to it to his. Braggin about going on the river the 4rth.

I got a good day in today on mine. I still pluggin away. Faithfully wearing the sweat shirt goggles and mask in the 90 degree temps. Sweating while you work beats itching when your done.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I hear you on the forum. I look at boats that are older and cringe now. They don't look near as well taken care of as mine was. Which wasn't at all apparently. I keep looking for stains in the transom at the drain plug as I sit behind them.

I see guys here just starting the tearout. And that old feeling of doom and despair returns briefly. The OMG what have I gotten myself into. But once you get as far as I am now it is just a thing keep working it will be over.

I saw a friend of mines boat on facebook. A 66 Chriscraft he had to do all this to it to his. Braggin about going on the river the 4rth.

I got a good day in today on mine. I still pluggin away. Faithfully wearing the sweat shirt goggles and mask in the 90 degree temps. Sweating while you work beats itching when your done.

I was fortunate enough to do all my major grinding in the winter when it was cold and windy. Its funny, as much as I've cleaned my boat, (even pressure washing it at the car wash), I'm still finding white powder. I get reminded of the itch as I lay on the deck of the Chap in shorts pulling wire. About an hour later I start itching....I'm like when will this torture end!! Ha ha!!

chevymaher

Commander
I was out there today sweating and grinding. I been working alot. I am making progress tho. Tomorrow I be cutting up the big hunk of tree that the storm right now took down. Missed the boat and was laying right next to it Whew. I got about 3/4 of the starboard main stringer tabbing done now. Got the motor mount area done.

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on this grinding now.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

I been slacking on pics. Here is one from the first period of grinding today. I grind till it is so hot i have trouble holding the grinder. Then vacuum and what not while it cools.

Got a bunch of dry chopped strand out in there today. Right next to where most of the rot was. Coincidence I think not.

Attachments

• photo270110.jpg
    photo270110.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 8

SHSU

I don't mind telling you. I see your boat being close to done. It is motivating. I was looking at how long since you started yours. It is encouraging.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!

I started mine back in January. Here I was thinking I would be done by June..... I am now aiming for September. We will see if I make that..... Not holding my breath

chevymaher

Commander
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!

I started mine back in January. Here I was thinking I would be done by June..... I am now aiming for September. We will see if I make that..... Not holding my breath
Oh I know it will get done. I took 10 years to get the chev done so I am used to sticking it out. I got to work when I got to. And in the slow times get as much on the boat done as I can. I hoping to be complete new interior and all by the end of next summer. I just gonna take my time and do it right.

I do admit i kinda seeing it getting splashed with bare wood in it. No interior LOL. Wood in then mechanicals. Dont know if i can hold back once it runs.

I was actually shopping for wood today. If that tells you anything. I see this grinding coming to a end sooner than later. Then I will be taking measurements and whittling the wood to fit.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Got a break in the action with work so I am getting my coffee in me. For another round of grinding today. I am getting excited nearing the end of this stage of it.

I may get the keel finished today. Then I will be down to sides and around the transom. Still alot of work but the removing tabbing is nearing the end.

I was thinking on the flat of the transom. Trying to use the board sander since it just needs the wood taken off and scuffed up. No real material needs to come off. And that will keep it as flat as possible. I got 80 grit for that sander that may do it.

I know my neighbors will be excited to see the grinding finished that grinder is loud.

My brother is sanding and buffing the baja now. He has a few places in the gel coat to fix. Seems the previous owners dad who owned it before him was crashing into a few things with it. I can see it now he isn't going to check for rot and just use it next year. He is working on the interior now.

Attachments

• photo270548.jpg
    photo270548.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
Well I are kinda hoping the grinder makes it a while longer. See the project through. I was grinding and started getting nasty bearing noises, Came in took it apart to inspect, Well the grease in the end drive was all coked up and dry now. I been beating it so hard I apparently boiled it out,

Well it is re greased and we headed out to see if it made a difference. You can do it grinder I am pulling for you LOL.