Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Well I got back home last night. Got my yard done and got a few hours in on the boat. Whittling the engine mount pads. Broke my first tool. One of the new chisels I got. Broke the handle off prying with it hammering at the same time. Saws all blades don't count. I been through a few of them so far.

Well I am getting to see rot in all stages at least. This had a oily residue that was actually wood it looked like just turning to black. I got under the center section under the tank. It is standing water and oh what a sweet smell it is.

I am seeing a pattern here. Every time there is black wood there is a path from water through the fiberglass to the black wood.

In the pic everything is soaked the fiberglass dust just makes it look dry.

Attachments

• photo266817.jpg
    photo266817.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 7

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Got the rest of the wood to the motor mount out. Opened into the keel area better. It was draining but not very fast. Got a little reservoir going on in there looks like.

Attachments

• photo266881.jpg
    photo266881.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 8

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Well I decided I better get the front done first so I got the flat to lay on. Standing water in the foam and the heavenly aroma of wet dirty socks and underwear for a while. This is as far as I got before my other duties called. Time to switch hats.

Attachments

• photo266908.jpg
    photo266908.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 8

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Been a few days since i was able to do anything. Working and my driver was jealous and wanted attention. Needed a starter and 2 ball joints.

In the first pic I spent the majority of time whittling the wood out of the keel. My new favorite thing to do. And look at that black standing water MMMM that smells like you know what.

Second pic is the rest of what I got done. Then cleaned the mess and filled the garbage can.

Milestone except for cleaning the tiny spots left the foam is gone.

And next day or 2 the last of the wood will be out of there. Then the real fun begins trimming the nubs and grinding.

Attachments

• photo267292.jpg
    photo267292.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 8
  • photo267293.jpg
    photo267293.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 8

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Okay I was slacking some today. Had a guy come pay me for work last week so I was shooting the bull a while.

I started the trimming the nubs and grinding. I cut the keel nubs down most of the time. Then i attacked the clusterfrick where the deck and stringer met. Tons of dry choped mat there. It was a first run so work think a while and work some more.

I got the hang of it now. Kinda like doing bodywork so it isn't completely foreign to me. Get the bubbles and dry out and leave a smooth sanded surface for the new glass to stick to.

Grinder in one hand and shop vac in the other keeping the dust away from my face seems to be the trick.

The goggles are not working for me here. Keep getting knocked off and steaming up so I cant see inside. Clean them and the sweat and dust mix and get all inside. I am going to buy a pair of swim goggles when I go out in a bit. I used them on swim team I know how to keep them from fogging up for a hour.

I do like this better than anything i been doing so far tho. Not hard work just time consuming.

Attachments

• photo267399.jpg
    photo267399.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 8

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
ahhh.. then the itch. The itch to get it wrapped up! looking great. I use the vac/grinder tech. does help. Don't let anyone fool ya, the worst grinding isn't done until you slap down the new deck. Bits and pcs ya know from PB etc. So when doing the pb always have a tool ready to scoop it up thus eliminating the grind. :joyous:
Happens when you're doing filets etc.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Swim goggles are the deal for working in the fiberglass. Light layer of vaseline inside wipe them out with a paper towel. Hours of sight without fogging. Not a speck of dust gets inside them. My eyes thank me for this. No burning tonight and i did double the hours today.

I worked on the keel a long time grinding. Then the blob on the inner stringer forever. Just piles of chopped mat and foam mixed with resin over it all. 8 inches long 6 wide and 1 1/2 deep at least.

Then I just got tired of the rotten smell. I took all the tools out and ran a hose in there. I had to fill it 5x and drain it before the water stopped turning black. Got all the wood chips out. Smells slot better now. Took the shop vac apart and cleaned it out. Start fresh next time i get a chance to get in there.

I will be following friscoboaters lead and putting PVC drains in everything. The way they got this glassed putting in the original wood. Once water got in it was not ever coming out. I had the front of the boat on a floor jack and even with it all cut out the nubs in the bottom wouldn't let it drain. Like little dams. Come in between the cockpit and bow covers down the isle into the skii locker. I found where it was going in there. And it was never leaving. It will have a good drain system tried and tested when it goes back together this time. Motor mount was the issue last time. Nothing forward of that under the tank and skii locker could drain.

This is gonna take a while to get done I can see that now.

Attachments

• photo267488.jpg
    photo267488.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 9

chevymaher

Commander
Well I was out there just grinding my heart out. Turned the grinder off and it wont restart. So I am taking a forced break. I guess if it dont kick back on I got to take it apart and see if I fried the heat protection.

chevymaher

Commander
now that i wasted half my work period i got this little set back settled. It was the switch. 2 terminals one side was fried. little work and the grinder lives to die another day

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
now that i wasted half my work period i got this little set back settled. It was the switch. 2 terminals one side was fried. little work and the grinder lives to die another day

Harbor Freight grinders are just the thing for one and done jobs!!!!

chevymaher

Commander
It is a harbor freight one. I listen. I read in the threads that the glass destroys them and get a cheapo from harbor freight.

I don't ask much in my thread because I spend alot of time reading the threads. The questions I needed were answered many times.

Thank everyone who takes the time to explain this stuff. Ondovar woodenglass and many others. Crazyfinn for making me look harder. I appreciate it. Shsu and batlinerchuck dsr4164 for the atta boy keep it up. It does help.

I was on a extended vacation in Egypt cruising denial in my boat. I was thinking throw it back together and go out next summer. But once I saw and read some threads I had to make other plans.

At that point I was embarrassed I knew so little about boats and it was time to buckle down and get to work. Time to listen and learn.

I also read a few threads were it was mentioned to not show the boat done without showing all the stages of the work done to help the future members in doing theirs. So I been posting the juicy good bad and ugly I found. As opposed to wow that sucks and omitting them. Nobody like admitting wow I got a POS.

The grinding shots don't really look different in the pics from day to day. Not as startling a difference as say ripping some deck out and finding mulch and worms and mouse nest. So I been slacking but will show the finished grind. I am a man on a mission to get a splash in this thing tho. I work as much as I possibly can on it.

I enjoy my time on the forum it is a great bunch of guys who without them I would have been very discouraged and lost on doing this. It really helps knowing your not the lone ranger on the rot. It is just normal maintenance.

Having my coffee now and getting ready to go get my space suit on. I really encourage people to wear swim goggles for the grinding. A huge difference in comfort eye protection and ability to actually see what you are doing. Get my allotted work time in today before I got to clean up and do my life duties now. Get this puppy back in ship shape.

Randy.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Randy...how did your brother make out with his boat? Needs work like yours does?
Dave

chevymaher

Commander
He is on that extended vacation in Egypt still. He said the interior is much worse than mine. And the gauges were so bad he is replacing them from being uncovered in the sun. But he won't/hasn't checked the right way for rot yet.

I am going to a family get together sun at moms and he lives down the street. So I get to see it the first time in the garage uncovered. I can get a look then.

He is boating on denile right now keeps saying it should be okay. Me I would have been in there with a drill immediately. Quicker you get starter the quicker it is over with.

I said do it and he is putting it off, That is all I can do or I will **** him off if I push it.

I think he is going to use it next year then check it right from what he is indicating.