Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I still find it rather amazing these things don't crack giving 90% of the structure is wasted.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Today I got the last stringer out. What is worse than rotted wood? Good wood it does not like coming out at all.

I got 2/3 of the fiberglass on the transom skinned off. It is a mess in there. Peeled all the loose I could off.

Supposed to rain again and I got work to do so I be MIA on post but visiting a while.

Attachments

• photo265259.jpg
    photo265259.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 6

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
You are really close to demo being done. Then the "assembly required" begins!

chevymaher

Commander
You are really close to demo being done. Then the "assembly required" begins!
And I can't wait till I am past this stage. Wrestling alligators is what this is.

I peeled the rest of the fiberglass off of the transom today. Bad news. The other side was perfect dry. Hate that. That means it is going to be a royal pain to get off. I got a bunch of the wet off the side in the pic. This is a different ball game than the stringers which I was just starting to get the hang of. So I am at the beginning of the learning curve doing this. So I will struggle with it at first I have no doubt.

On one of my errands I was at the hardware store shopping a chisel with a wide blade. No luck may have to go to lowes for that. I am plodding right along tho.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Weatherman keeps saying it is going to rain a week. And every day they move it arriving back a day.

So I am very pleased with today's activities. I struggled with the first half inch of wood. I got it all off in once piece tho. 6 chisels and 3 screwdrivers. 2 crowbars at once. Found the same layer of wood and attacked it from all sides at once. Drive the chisel in. then get a screwdriver in there to hold pressure. Then work the 2 crowbars around everything slowly. Just listening to the crackling of it splitting.

Once it came off my 3 foot screw driver was my best friend. Start it with the chisel. Drive the screw driver in as far as I could. Then work it with the crowbars again. It came out in chunks doing that but it was coming out. So next no rain clean this mess up and get as much as I can in the garbage to go.

I headed to shop a wider chisel for the cleaning up what is left. Down to glass all over the place now.

Attachments

• photo265406.jpg
    photo265406.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 11
  • photo265407.jpg
    photo265407.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 11

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Nice looking work. Keep it up

:popcorn:

chevymaher

Commander
It has been raining finally and I been doing other work. It is still raining. But I got to get it cleaned out today for garbage pick up. So this stuff isn't building up in the yard. So even if I got to run a light and sit under the cover I got to get in there today. But the outflow of big trash is almost over. Once the transom is done being cleaned off. Plan is grind everything that is complete and have it ready. Leaving the center section alone because it is handy for sitting on a bucket while working.

Once I get that far then clean the keel area out and the motor mounts.

But right now I got just enough room in the garbage can for all the chunks and shaving of the transom. Big pieces can be cut up and slowly fed into the trash at leisure. I still got a big bag of foam to feed into the can as room is available. Going to clean the garage and put the tools away so I can find them. As arcbuilder was saying. Generally reorganize things while the weather is bad.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Okay call me a lyer, addicted but don't call me late for supper.

I did as I said I would. Got the boat emptied and vacuumed. Got the trash ready and out. It slowed down raining why it is barely sprinkling. Honestly I thought. I will just get the new chisel check it out and see how it does. And the rest was history.

I stayed in there till I had it all down to fiberglass and ready for grinding. Snapped the pic or it didn't happen. Then it was big drops of rain as I was tarping it up. Mother Nature must like the boat. Stopped when I started and picked back up when I was finished.

So now back to trimming the leftovers and grinding for a while.

Attachments

• photo265512.jpg
    photo265512.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 7

SHSU

Nice work. That transom looks like its ready.

I have the same issue with getting my trash guys to take everything, but sounds like you have it down and are slowly working it out. I wish I had the room to leave stuff to dispose and my leisure. Not enough room and HOA frowns on leaving stuff outdoors...

Baylinerchuck

Commander
One reason i couldn't live under an HOA. I had to cut all my pieces into really small garbage can friendly chunks for the sanitation crew. I burned a lot of the plywood. Good job on getting her cleaned up.

chevymaher

Commander
Cutting the grass today and doing my yardwork. The grass goes wild after it rains a few days in a row here.

I live in the stix so if it is behind the plane of the front of the house. It isn't anybodies business but your own, I still try to be nice. I keep the waste between the boat and the house where the neighbors behind me can't see it till it goes. Here if it fits in the can and the lid will shut they will take it. Except batteries and hazardous things. Usually I am building cars cars back here so they are already broke in to this kind of stuff. Engines,trans in them or bodywork for paint kind of stuff. I specifically bought this house for the garage and neighborhood. So I could build the chevelle and nobody could complain. And I work here for myself, Doing the above mentioned work. This time is it for me tho.

chevymaher

Commander
I haven't disappeared. Duty calls work and so forth. I be working away from home next week all week long, that puts a dampener On sneaking in boat work.

I feel good about it all I got more done faster than I expected to. My personal goal is get it completely ready inside by cold weather. Make patterns for the new parts. And put it back together starting warm weather in spring.

Anyway I still here kickin just nothing interesting to report. Just following along on others progress as I am taking a forced break in working.

SHSU

I haven't disappeared. Duty calls work and so forth. I be working away from home next week all week long, that puts a dampener On sneaking in boat work.

I feel good about it all I got more done faster than I expected to. My personal goal is get it completely ready inside by cold weather. Make patterns for the new parts. And put it back together starting warm weather in spring.

Anyway I still here kickin just nothing interesting to report. Just following along on others progress as I am taking a forced break in working.

No worries, glad to hear you didn't disappear. I am still trying to find myself

:peep:

chevymaher

Commander
Well it has been pouring rain here. Can't stain decks in the rain.

So I got 95% of the boat trash in the can. Kinda like a puzzle getting it all in.

Then in the rain I broke out the pressure washer and cleaned the trailer again and got the rubbing compound off of it. pulled the trailer pull strap out and cleaned it made it look good again. Hit my brothers jet skii that has been my lawn art for years. If it is going to rot here may as well look good.

And I am itchin to start itchin again. I hear the trimming and grinding calling to me now. Killing me I be gone all next week and can't do squat.

Brother has the Baja at his house now. He spent the night inspecting it. He got back to the drivers position, Next the tank is opened test in there. Maybe being warehouse stored spared him what I am doing. Front half of the boat is good so far. But will the bulkhead into the engine compartment be as good Doo Doo Do.

chevymaher

Commander
I am leaving tomorrow for a week. So no boat for me.

But today I had a little time I was down in the shop. Checking the ventilation blower and the bilge pump, Running them and making sure they were okay. LOL I had the bilge pump in a bucket of soapy water running it to clean the nasty out of it. Wire wheeled the nuts and bolts and brackets. Made them look good again like someone cared about them. I really want to buff the skii pylon that is a nice piece of chrome.

So parts were coming off the bench. Getting checked and cleaned then put in boxes as done.

I was inspecting the bottom of the hull for distortion. Trailer seems to be holding it the way it should be.

Not doing what I want to. Working on the hull. But still getting in some work any way I can when I can.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I am leaving tomorrow for a week. So no boat for me.

But today I had a little time I was down in the shop. Checking the ventilation blower and the bilge pump, Running them and making sure they were okay. LOL I had the bilge pump in a bucket of soapy water running it to clean the nasty out of it. Wire wheeled the nuts and bolts and brackets. Made them look good again like someone cared about them. I really want to buff the skii pylon that is a nice piece of chrome.

So parts were coming off the bench. Getting checked and cleaned then put in boxes as done.

I was inspecting the bottom of the hull for distortion. Trailer seems to be holding it the way it should be.

Not doing what I want to. Working on the hull. But still getting in some work any way I can when I can.

Every little bit you do shortens the time to get it on the water. 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there all adds up.

chevymaher

Commander
I get to see the boat once a day now. I go there water the gardens then leave. I pat her on the bow. Whisper sweet nothings. Then do my work and get the heck out of there.

I been looking for resin and fiberglass supply places near here. It don't seem like it is going to happen. I been checking Yoda's (WOG) USComposite site. I am using his example materials list I got on the forum somewhere in a different thread as a guide.

LOL I will be friscoboater jr I will be using way more than I should. I want this non sense sealed and good.

I need to get some cardboard for making patterns. Start stocking up cardboard. Talk to the store down the hill.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I think most of us are guilty of over building things. We want it to last forever......or at least until the next project comes along. 👍🏼

chevymaher

Commander
When I was home feeding the critters and watering the gardens. I checked the boat's hull. I was very happy with the progress.

It had a deformation from the stringer being completely gone so long in that 2 foot section. I braced it and put pressure in certain spots. Wow it came back amazingly close to perfect. I think let it sit like this till I get home. Then adjust the brace again and it will be perfect like the rest of the hull.

Neighbors got to think I am crazy. Sitting there with the laser pointer in back of the boat giggling to myself. And not being home all week there is no home trash whatsoever. So the rest of the existing boat trash will be out of there this next trash day.

Still shopping for a local resin supplier. I got a guy I talking to may be able to help me. Waiting to see if he can.