Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
I got past the outside stringer which seems okay but it is coming out anyway. I am getting braver with the saws all now. Admiral called me in to eat lunch.

It is amazing how little you get done and the wood and foam is up over your ankles already. So second half of the program is clean up the mess I made. See what I can fit in the garbage can for garbage day tomorrow,

I am over it now. I hated starting something new. It seemed like random wanton destruction. But it all got to come out. Dry here wet over there. anyway making progress.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup... Glad you see the light. The dark side is over. :) I was there in the beggining Luke Skywalker. There is only 1 way. I always wanted the next pc. to be good. NOT.....

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
I am over it now. I hated starting something new. It seemed like random wanton destruction. But it all got to come out. Dry here wet over there. anyway making progress.

There is something therapeutic with a boat rebuild. Nothing like it, but sure as hell a lot of hard work!!! With time and patience comes glory. When someone asks you about your boat at the ramp, you get to puff out your chest and tell them all about it!!! I know it will be the same for me when I finally get out of the garage and into the water..... Someday seems so far off.....

chevymaher

Commander
Yes it is therapeutic. And the other builds here are great to see. Lets you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This site is a great resource for learning to do this. And the people here willing to teach the craft are outstanding.

It is a delicate situation getting someone in the frame of mind to be ready for this. You can't just say oh that boat you love may want to check it is junk they all are when they are that old.

I must admit tho I am a type who it wouldn't have made any difference when I got it if I knew. I would still have been giggling as I towed my rotten hull home.

chevymaher

Commander
I been digging this morning already. Seems the site don't like my camera. Second time it has refused the picture in 2 days. To big or corrupt something is always wrong. Same picture in photobucket and it is fine tho. So photo bucket it. It is getting wetter toward the transom isnt looking good LOL.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
I been digging this morning already. Seems the site don't like my camera. Second time it has refused the picture in 2 days. To big or corrupt something is always wrong. Same picture in photobucket and it is fine tho. So photo bucket it. It is getting wetter toward the transom isnt looking good LOL.

I had same issues. Found out my camera saves images that are to large. I found away around by opening up paint and reducing the photos to 20%. That makes them small enough to upload direct to site.

pckeen

Commander
WIth photobucket, click on the photo you want, then click on the box to the right of the "Img" box - that'll copy the code. You can then go on here, and press Control + V, it'll pate it directly into your post - that way we can see the image directly, rather than having to hit the link,

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Okay I got a program that reduces size and also renames them. Now the site is accepting them. First picture is from the last time I worked and I couldn't get it to up load. Second pic is from todays adventure. The photobucket one above.

It is supposed to rain a while here this week. I got a ton of notes. 7 pages worth of sketches and notes. I used to do drafting in my youth. So I am going to work on making a drawing and label all the dimensions while the weather is bad. I need to get these notes condensed and in a easy to read format. Before I loose them or just get confused. What I was doing. I got it open now far enough that I know what goes where on both sides. With the exception of the bottom under the ski locker and gas tank area.

I just was on the phone with my brother. We may be going to pick his up on sunday. He is still deep in the denial phase. As was said to me. I hope his is the exception. I know I wont be holding my breath for it.

Attachments

• photo263650.jpg
    photo263650.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 13
  • photo263651.jpg
    photo263651.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 13

chevymaher

Commander
I was up at the crack of dawn. Got my regular work caught up. Now I am digging at her again. I got a picture so far but cant post in the shop computer, I will do it once I am in my chair on the laptop it works on.

I got it open to the transom now. Wow the drain hole was 6 inches higher then the pool of water. I had the rot from the deck down in one spot. Bottom of the stringer was wet but still wood. Again finding any hidden wood had no fiberglass on the back at all.

I knew I was replacing the transom just because everything else was so bad. It had that same evil black inside the fiberglass, But there is a certain Peace just knowing now it is wasted to. I stuck a drywall keyhole saw in the drain hole. All I needed to see. Seemed solid at first, But very little pressure it is just falling apart,

I going to play around cleaning this side out some more. But soon I got to take the part on the transom off, The outdrive dealy what ever its name is. And label my wires and controls and tie them up out of the way for the coming excavation.

My therapy is going well today.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Okay I am done for the day now. I am getting alot closer to the hull. Improving the skillset. First pic was at the above post. Second was what I got done till i stopped and filled the garbage can.

Decking in the rear corner was soaked. The armrest we shall call it. It was wet as well there. I am contented making progress.

Attachments

• photo263773.jpg
    photo263773.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 9
  • photo263774.jpg
    photo263774.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 9

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

I did a second run on the side i started on. Cut alot closer and used a wire wheel and drill to clean all the foam out.

First pic me being itchy in my safety gear.
Second is the work. I did get back another couple feet after the picture tho.

Attachments

• photo263872.jpg
    photo263872.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 9
  • photo263873.jpg
    photo263873.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 9

chevymaher

Commander
It's actually quite therapeutic!
Yes it is and I called in sane to my therapist already.

I still here kicking. It rained like mad and I have had alot of work. Now I am itching to work on it. Not itching from working on it.

Again today I be to busy tomorrow supposed to be nice and I got some slack. I am hoping to be back in there working. So between working today get the yard cut and trimmed so I am ready.

As has been mentioned. I am actually enjoying the process. I look forward to being able to work on it.

thetmaxx

Cadet
Looking good!! When I was a kid my dad had almost the exact same four winns. So Last year I bought a very similar style well craft and went through the same thing you're doing. I pushed really hard and had the entire job done in a month or two. The guy had miss wired something dumb, and the engine fired right up!! Anyways, I'll take your word on fiberglass being therapeutic, I thought it was absolutely miserable even with all the personal protection in the world. But the big pay off was taking it down to the river for the first time!! You look like you're making progress at just about the same rate as I did, keep it up!!

chevymaher

Commander
Looking good!!

I'll take your word on fiberglass being therapeutic, I thought it was absolutely miserable even with all the personal protection in the world.
Thank you. It is the style I like and that is why I am going through all this.

But you didn't have to rub the second part in. I must admit I would rather just be putting the engine in now. But a little thinking of the river while doing the dirty work is what keeps me going.

I am busy now fixing houses actual work at the moment. Killin me I want to be getting this done.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
hey what I see is kicking some butt! Keep it up...there is an end in sight!:joyous: Pics pics pics
Build a cover over dasboot and you can work all days.