Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

I saw this in another thread. Someone saying there should be a thread on injuries cuts and what not working on the boat. Wasn't a bad cut more a smash but it bled like a stuck pig a while. I can see now it going to take me a month of sundays to get this all out of there. They sure don't like coming apart. I got the rotted section of stringer out on one side and been digging out the foam. Already filled a garbage can and a garbage bag filled up. Some thing different today I ran into dry wood finally.

Attachments

• photo262035.jpg
    photo262035.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 13

chevymaher

Commander
It has been raining and cold here. So I wasn't in it yesterday.

I did call the local lumber places and found a guy who will get the main stringer materials I want. Douglas fir no knots and grain running the length of the board. I explained what I was doing. He said come look at what I got and if there isn't something to your liking I can get it quick. Rest of the boat isn't as critical to me. I just want what it had back in the same place. Main stringers will be a inch wide instead of 3/4 inch. I don't see a issue with that small discrepancy. Other modifications will be the PVC pipe in all the drains as Frisco boater did on his. I think that is a excellent idea.

I have been watchin videos and reading threads. Taking notes and making a material list and in what parts of the boat get how much of what and in what order. Recipes for peanut butter. Learning the craft so to speak. I work with fiberglass in cars. But this is a whole other ballgame.

I have accepted my fate now and after watching the restorations on the other boats. Just replace everything whether it tested good or not. After watching Goldie 627's videos I am seeing they still probably on their way out even if they are good now.

Biggest issue is the transom. I do not want to split the cap to do that as I have seen in other restorations on my type boat. But as time goes along I am sure the denial part will fade as this process goes along.

LOL I remember when this started a week ago I was wanting to just repair. It is quickly snowballing like the car projects I had in the past. As they say in the car world doing this restoration stuff is a sickness.

So I will be here reading and watching I just won't post much till this thing is cleaned out. Or I would bore you to tears at the speed I am going so far. I am figuring that gonna take most of the summer at this rate. I am not exactly setting speed records so far. Doing under the bow rider part should prove interesting if the wide open parts are giving me such grief.

So I guess next is get over it and start removing all the interior. Bilge pump hydraulics and so forth. Pull this roof tent deal it has in the rear seat out. And see how that thing works. Judging by what I see it snaps on the windsheild top and the poles make a little canvas roof form what I saw in a old video of my type boat. I am sure its canvas is gone as well and i will have to make that to.

But I am learning and I am sure i will pick up speed as I get a system figured out as we said in construction.

My friends on the other forum are calling me Gilligan now.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
I know how it feels, start off blazing ahead and then life and other projects get in the way... Waiting on parts now so i can start working on my boat trailer . In the end, we do this for fun

chevymaher

Commander
I know how it feels, start off blazing ahead and then life and other projects get in the way... Waiting on parts now so i can start working on my boat trailer . In the end, we do this for fun

Your right. I been bagging and tagging interior all morning. No sense in doing anymore cutting till it is all out of the way. Engine compartment out. Finding places inside for all the parts. Taking pictures as it comes apart. Got my clipboard taking notes and making measurements. Just part of the process. She is getting alot more bare looking inside now tho.

Redid the tarp so it is a 2 piece tie down system Take the back loose and just flip it over the windsheild. That way the front half stays put and I dont have to fight adjusting it putting it back on each time. Now the engine cover is gone I need to make a new tent pole for the cover in the back. I do feel I got alot done today. It just gonna take some time.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe you need to change the title of your thread to "Disassembly" Required? ;)

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Okay a question. Is all this wood a standard thickness or should I be measuring things and recording them before I chop them out. I am assuming since mine obviously is wet and has frozen it is swelled. I am going to measure the main stringers today see how long a board I need for them. I am seeing wood I can use for the main stringers that is a inch thick. It is okay to go a little wider on those if that is all I can find isn't it? I am pre shopping wood. We got a lumber yard I used building mom's and my brothers houses. I am sure they can get what lowes and places don't have if I need it.

Basically put back in there what you take out as far as thickness goes. If you install and glass everything properly, the boat will structurally be way more sound than when it came out of the factory. You will be surprised at how a properly bedded and tabbed stringer will solidify. Here is a picture of how I joined my plywood to get the length I needed for my stringers. I wasn't about to buy a 12' long piece of plywood for 2 stringers.

chevymaher

Commander
Maybe you need to change the title of your thread to "Disassembly" Required? ;)

LOL you got it. And on that subject. I got the Port side interior off this morning. I got the starboard side loose and the throttle needs to come off of it. It is a 87 quicksilver shifter. I am running into alot of threads oh it is easy but nobody actually knows how, Or they just are not telling. Exploded view picture would be helpful. I got hung up there and cut the grass a while. Did yard work. It has to come off I am redoing the interior. And it isnt ever a good sign when you take a screw out and water runs out is it.

But I am not moving on till I know how to get the throttle off without breaking something. Internet searches for days. I saw on E Bay they are cutting that part of the boat off when selling one, So it must be a pain to get apart.

I am sure it is simple once you know the secret. LIke the side body panels are held in by screws in the pleat of the fabric. And the head of the screw popped through where you cant find it. That was a hold up this morning a while.

It sure will be easier going together once I know all these little details.

And thanks for the response on the materials Baylinerchuck. I have been measuring and marking the types of wood and where they are with dimensions as I go along.

And we had a stow away when the boat came here. The little bugger that probably caused most of this damage. A mouse he was blocking the drains with his little shenanigans, Causing this this thing to fill with water, He is unafraid and just scampers around while I work, I just ignoring him and keeping a piece of wood handy. Let him see I am not threatening. Then once he gets close away from his hiding spots I got something for him. He made nest from the top and life jackets. His time is numbered now and he don't even know it.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Send me your regular email address by PM. I have the manual to the shifter, if it is the Commander.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Interior Is out now. I got the electronics under the dash the front of the dash. And the glovebox and cooler mask off with a heavier plastic now. Keep as much of that nastiness out of the gauges and the cooler. MMMM fresh soda with a hint of fiberglass refreshing.

Attachments

• photo262338.jpg
    photo262338.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 15

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Yes I am enjoying the itch and the fun has begun.

I spent the first part of the program measuring things and making a diagram where all this stuff goes. Measuring board thicknesses and things of that nature.

Then never one to do the easiest things first I tackled getting under the bow seats first. I can only imagine doing the rest and saving the hardest for last.

I got the 2 center stringers completely uncovered to the front. And the wood under the Isle disconnected and out.

I just for giggles dug into the bottom under the tank. Through the hole they put the foam in with. That is completely full to the top with water.

I have had enough fun for one day. I got plenty of whittling left to do.

Attachments

• photo262452.jpg
    photo262452.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 12

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

I broke down and bought a saws all today. Instead of doing it the harder way. I disturbed a worm in the wood today. It is amazing how much hidden wood was just totally bare no fiberglass nothing. Here is the juiciest spot I found in a stringer today. So Far in the entire boat I have found one totally good piece of wood. Not even rot touching it.
I was watching Frisco Boater some more. And what he said and did I did to. Never check stringers when it is cold at night. Of course they seem good they are frozen solid from the night before.

Attachments

• photo262580.jpg
    photo262580.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 14