Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
How do those rv / boat metal shelters hold up with the snow .. I need to put one up for our rv eventually..
Not that lm worried about snow ...

chevymaher

Commander
How do those rv / boat metal shelters hold up with the snow .. I need to put one up for our rv eventually..
Not that lm worried about snow ...

The all metal ones no issue at all. There are several around here. Thay never do nothing just let the snow stay till it melts. That is why I want to upgrade to one.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
the tarp ones dont last but about 6 months here in fla then start leaking because sun melts the wax off them

chevymaher

Commander
I talked to my motor guy ships thurs. That is 2 days for us simple folk.

I been shopping for a portable toilet for this ol barge. Planning on straying far from port we are. Hope it is never needed but if it is it be a lifesaver. Most the time just stand on the ladder and get that pesky line off the prop. Yea that what we doing back there. Number 2 needs more conveniences of home if you know what I mean.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I talked to my motor guy ships thurs. That is 2 days for us simple folk.

I been shopping for a portable toilet for this ol barge. Planning on straying far from port we are. Hope it is never needed but if it is it be a lifesaver. Most the time just stand on the ladder and get that pesky line off the prop. Yea that what we doing back there. Number 2 needs more conveniences of home if you know what I mean.
pretty good price Chev..

portable-toilet.jpg

chevymaher

Commander
pretty good price Chev..

portable-toilet.jpg

Yep exactly the one I looking at. Store under the main seating. In my boat the rear seat bottoms are removable. Perfect place for it in use. Boat be up to your shoulders nobody know a thing. Drape a towel for other in the boat people. Closest person on the river is a mile. At least where I boat. Keep paper and a good heavy trash bag for the smaller bag stashed in the hidden side compartments. If anything gets wet there you sunk past the point flotation foam will allow. You got bigger problems at that point.

Me I was always good. I can swim to the bank does a bear s##t i the woods lets see. But for women wife and mother nieces we need good facilities.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
5 gallon bucket with toilet seat rigged onto old bucket lid then use good bucket lid to seal it up :) if we talking strait outta low cash but a decent portalet is cheap .

chevymaher

Commander
5 gallon bucket with toilet seat rigged onto old bucket lid then use good bucket lid to seal it up :) if we talking strait outta low cash but a decent portalet is cheap .

Problem is with the bucket deal. No place to hide it. This is something that with luck will never get used. The fold up guy can be stashed anywhere. This is a better safe than sorry move for me. There are marinas scattered all over the river I can dock at with facilities. It is for OMG I cant wait emergencies only.

I have considered the nicer 80 buck jobs with the blue water that flush, If it would fit permanently under the rear most seats

I am waiting for the notifications of the shipping of the motor now. I talked to them this morning. All the stupid stuff is handled and it is on the way as scheduled. They expect here within 2 days.

chevymaher

Commander
I just talked to shipping place. Motor is at distribution center 15 miles from here now. Trucks left for the day. So it be here monday.

As a small compensatory measure in the pics or it didnt happen dept. Here are the dash labels since I got no motor pics yet.

Attachments

• photo308800.jpg
    photo308800.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
Well this is encouraging. Thunderstorms all night. I like it not snow. Once this weather starts moving in it warms up round here.

Well I actually worked Uncle Joe style all day today. Cleaned off all the stuff I need off the old engine. Marked wire ends where they go with masking tape. cleaning gasket surfaces on the exhaust.

I am just a sentimental ol fool makes me sad seeing it go. It ran great 3X before whatever let go.

I still got to drain the oil and take the pan off other than that we ready to dress the new one.

Attachments

• photo308839.jpg
    photo308839.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo308840.jpg
    photo308840.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
LOL in my boat it is 130 as per the valve cover. If you buy the same motor for a forklift it is 145. I just hear they last forever. I ready for the lasting forever part. It is new.

Probably wont run like the modified one. But I ready to cruise now. Just put it in the water turn the key and go.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Clean looking power plant! What’d you do about all the bolt heads? Currently redoing all of my bolt on engine crap and stuck on how to finish all the bolts... Did/will you just replace them? Or did you strip n finish to match all the new paint?

chevymaher

Commander
Clean looking power plant! What’d you do about all the bolt heads? Currently redoing all of my bolt on engine crap and stuck on how to finish all the bolts... Did/will you just replace them? Or did you strip n finish to match all the new paint?

I didn't do anything but clean it when I assembled it. That engine is going on the shelf over there nce i am finished taking things off. I got a crate engine coming tomorrow.

chevymaher

Commander
Okay I cleared it with the admiral. I headed to the paint joint for boat supplies. I dangerously low on plastic for masking things off. And the boat will be cocooned when the trailer gets painted. I need to restock also on my yellow painters tape I got gobs of blue left. I need ultra black for the motor assembly. And zinc additive for the flat tappet cam. And some 15-40 non synthetic. You shouldn't run synthetic untill a engine is broken in. It works to well and the rings wont seat correctly.

He is sending a intake exhaust gasket but since this is a oddball motor I may have to get another he said. I got it bookmarked if I need it. He said this one may work.

Yard is a swamp so there is no way I gonna get the motor in very son it got to dry to move the boat. I need gas for the tractor.

So today drain the oil take the pan off and clean it out. And move things off the cherry picker because that is where the new engine is about to hang from.

chevymaher

Commander
Originally I was taking the oil pan off for the new motor. And that was it good bye old motor.

Well once I took the fuel pump off the devastation was apparent even through the small hole. Well this boat knows where home was that is for sure. And this is the second time it amazed me by making it to the dock.

We will skip hypothesis on what happened and in what order. I said something let go in the previous post. That was a understatement everything let go at once.

Here is the list of bizzare things that happened. Pics for most of this to.

Cam was hitting freeze plug in rear of engine and wore through it and it was leaking oil.
Cam bearing was coming out. 2 cam lobes are missing chunks. One lifter is missing chunks several.
Rod apparently hit the cam that was the clanking sound I was hearing and mentioning when I was in pre plash.

But wait there is more now how much would you pay.

I noticed stains on the bottom of the cylinders on 2 cylinders below the piston skirt. So I took the head off and the pistons out. All cylinders were wet. All cylinders have brown/rust stains. It was developing scratches at a alarming rate. This I will comment on. Those stains were not there when I inspected the motor. So I thinking it froze after it locked up with the previous owner before he pulled it and put it in hi garage. he did drain everything with the drain ports. And the water level left is exactly where the stains are forming.

And the last pic the mysterious pieces of whatever in the pan. More than the missing things dictate. Oh and there was white grease in the oil galley the oil sender is in.

So Admiral made the correct choice last year before I even took it apart. She said it is already junk get a new one. Done admiral spoke.

Attachments

• photo308882.jpg
    photo308882.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2
  • photo308883.jpg
    photo308883.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo308884.jpg
    photo308884.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo308885.jpg
    photo308885.jpg