Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like you're close to firing it up. Getting excited for you.
    - Eric

Somers, WI

Old enough to know better - but crazy enough to try anyway

Comment

• It is alive. calling it a day. I got to look into the tach not working it is stuck at 5 grand like when I got it, But it had a extra wire that was broke off thinkin find the other end of that. Temp gauge isnt working and it isnt charging. But it ran great.

Got to adjust everything and tune it.
      Dance with the waves,
      move with the sea.
      Let the rhythm of the water
      set your soul free.

1987 Four Winns 170 Horizon.

Comment

• Glad it fired right away for you - one more check off the narrowing list.
        - Eric

Somers, WI

Old enough to know better - but crazy enough to try anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by oldrem View Post
          Glad it fired right away for you - one more check off the narrowing list.
          Thank you it did to. Cranked fired. I retarded the timing a hair. Poured a little gas in it. Fired right up and ran started to run out of gas caught and idled. I let it run 15 minutes at high idle break in the cam and lifters I did use the break in oil.

Once it was running it fires up no non sense right now.
          Dance with the waves,
          move with the sea.
          set your soul free.

Comment

• VVVery Nice!

Comment

• please tell me you remembered to hook a hose to it the rpm wire should be grey going to tach , the alternator might just be as simple as ignition wire not contacting the gauge
              project: https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...r-2159-hardtop
              Previous project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...rint-bass-boat
              Previous previous project/conversion https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...rsion-splashed

Comment

• Yes I filled the hydraulic fluid on the trim. Got it lowered so not to strain things. I did have a pair of muffs on it and a hose before it ever started.

Most of the morning was filling fluids and getting the rams on the outdrive once the pump had fluid in it. Then wiring issues. I never saw any of this before. Starting it was basically lets see. I was already done for the day. It was just a bingo wow fired right up.

Mine is the goofy generator deal not a alternator. If it isnt working then it is about to be a alternator tho.

It isn't the gauge. I had a tester in the boat and the gauge read what the tester did. It is running 12.4 volts from a 12.58 starting charge on the battery.

Temp gauge is right on the T-stat I will test it. I just hope the tach is okay. Kinda be hard to get this particular style one.
                Dance with the waves,
                move with the sea.
                set your soul free.

Comment

• Wow Randy...I just went back and re-read page 1 of this thread to see how far you've come. It's been a journey and you're so there now. I can't wait to see pics from on the water.
                  My 1993 Ski Centurion Falcon resto-mod thread:
                  https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...on-restoration

Comment

• Originally posted by Timr71 View Post
                    Wow Randy...I just went back and re-read page 1 of this thread to see how far you've come. It's been a journey and you're so there now. I can't wait to see pics from on the water.
                    It was totally frickin junk huh. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world tho.

I got yelled at today tho. No noise tomorrow while the admiral is sleeping. She works night shift. That specifically means no starting the boat and making vroom vroom noises LOL.

I will be playing with wires and testing things. trying to track down the issues I found.
                    Dance with the waves,
                    move with the sea.
                    set your soul free.

Comment

• there is a place in Daytona that guy has a ton of old new gauges, might be able to find you your match if i see a close up pic and you see you need one usually just replace all gauges ,most boats i mess with are 30 yrs old so i don't put much faith in the originals
                      project: https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...r-2159-hardtop
                      Previous project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...rint-bass-boat
                      Previous previous project/conversion https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...rsion-splashed

Comment

• It is a 30 year old boat. I wont be racing or anything so if they just work is good enough. Here is a pic of the gauges when I was fooling with the speedometer making sure it worked. Tach and temp are the 2 not working. Everything else does.

I can get better pics after I get the admiral and go out to the barge.
                        Dance with the waves,
                        move with the sea.
                        set your soul free.

Comment

• I got the gears or whatever you call them working now adjusted. Forward and reverse. Temp gauge is only the sender. It works fine. So we down to the tach. May have got fried when the pertinex shorted.

It is hot as heck and I am taking a ice water break.
                          Dance with the waves,
                          move with the sea.
                          set your soul free.

Comment

• Hey chev, mine has the same gauges it looks like. I don't know what condition their in but if you know a way I can test the tach you can have it for shipping, I'm going to go a different route if I ever get around to starting.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaptNewbie View Post
                              Hey chev, mine has the same gauges it looks like. I don't know what condition their in but if you know a way I can test the tach you can have it for shipping, I'm going to go a different route if I ever get around to starting.
                              I Pm'ed you.
                              Dance with the waves,
                              move with the sea.
                              set your soul free.

Comment

I am not sure what is going on with the generator deal. It read lower on the battery running than it did when I tested the battery out there. It showed a full charge before I fooled with things.

Stereo works. I think it is original to the boat to. Judging by what they say they came with and the way it is tied into the original wiring.

I rode and got my exercise. I know it is nice it would actually do the boat thing outside of the charging ordeal. Next time the admiral will let me make some noise I am going to set the idle and look into the charging again. I got a alt saved in my notes somewhere. I may just get that. I got the one i made for it. But it isn't marine and a fire hazard.

Anyway don't matter it is getting close. Thing eating up time now is waiting for parts as I discover I need something.

Soon as the boat is finished i am replacing the bunkers and painting the trailer.
                                Dance with the waves,
                                move with the sea.
                                set your soul free.

Comment

Working...
                                X