Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
hey what I see is kicking some butt! Keep it up...there is an end in sight!:joyous: Pics pics pics
Build a cover over dasboot and you can work all days.
Thank you I will. I about got the one job done now. I had to fix some plumbing that froze. Now I am refinishing the wall I had to tear out to get to it. I can do the pics. I wasn't sure if I was boring people doing the proud daddy thing with them.

My brother is getting aclimatized to all this now. He hasn't joined but is checking out the threads on stringers. His was a much better cared for boat. It was dry stored on a shelf in a warehouse when it was winter. He is going to check his out. He wants to use it a season first then he is ready to go through all this as well on his baja.

Well I am having my morning coffee and gonna check everybody elses progress on their boats. Then go back to work and try to catch everything up so I can get a good weekend on the boat in. Next week I got a house to ready for sale but his is life. These are the things that made me say I think this will take all summer. Just take my time and do it right.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Okay stopped raining for the moment. I had my work caught up and I was in there a few hours. Supposed to be nice tomorrow then more rain.

Got the starboard outer stringer out to within a foot of the back. Got most of the foam out over there. Then went to port ripped more deck up and got the first few feet of that outer stringer out and cleaned the foam out back that far. I am setting a better pace now that i am learning this a little bit. Haven't hurt the hull yet. Cross my fingers. Next cut the inner stringer out closer like the starboard side is to where it is ready for grinding.

One side note when they are bedded in correctly they do not rot and do not want to come out at all. Wow these outer stingers are fighting it all the way. They both are good it seems but got to come out for the transom. Just do it all right and not have to worry about it again in my lifetime.

Attachments

• photo264360.jpg
    photo264360.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 8
  • photo264361.jpg
    photo264361.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 8

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Today's adventure was. I cleaned out the lower portion of front port center stringer. Don't look any different than it did really in the pics. Just the wood is gone and it is ready for grinding alot closer to the hull.

Then the juicy shots of mulch everybody lives for. Port side center stringer below the seats and working on getting the foam up.

Attachments

• photo264552.jpg
    photo264552.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 8
  • photo264553.jpg
    photo264553.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 8
  • photo264554.jpg
    photo264554.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 8

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
You are making progress just about every day. You will have it in the water in short order.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

I couldn't work on it today it was pouring rain. And like I said I had to get a house ready to sell. But I was at my sisters house and snapped a picture of my brother in laws boat. He has had 5 Jet Boats with big blocks before. He went a different direction on this one. Just thought someone would like this one.

Attachments

• photo264647.jpg
    photo264647.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 4

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, I like that one (little bit 'o work there?. I like yours too! Thanks for sharing, No such thing as too many boat pictures

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Now that is a large restoration. Some day I hope to have a boat big enough to sleep on. Some day.

chevymaher

Commander
After being here on this forum I am sure it has issues somewhere by now. But so far he never had any problems. Just pressure washes it and uses it. It has a big deisel engine in it. He has to have a special truck just to tow the silly thing. It has been a few years since it was out tho.

We got rain here for the week it says. Sux for me. Yesterday I looked out and WTF. My tarp had a lake in it. LOL I was out there in the rain with a cup bailing it out. Snugged the cover up so it just ran off like it is supposed to. I caught it in time. I can see how these boats get full of water if your not watching them. That would have eventually got so heavy it pulled loose and drained inside.

Not that it matters now with it being gutted. But that would sure caused the problem it has now when it happened in the past. When it sat for years and years unattended. Especially snow and ice. Like it had when I got it. This forum teaches you alot if you read other peoples threads. It finally is drying out enough that there isnt water drops on the inside of the inner cover when I open her up to work on her.

I am going back to my sisters property and work on it today. Drywall finishing and Painting. Adjusting doors and cabinets. Pretty work getting it ready for sale. So I will check the boat after last nights rain as I load my tools to go. Pat her hull there there Baby I be back.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Doesn't Mother Nature know we have important projects to get done!?!?!?!?!?! I think the Admirals have a line to her when we get to involved with our "Other" girls!!!!! LOL

You are moving fast, fun to watch. Excited to see how you are going to do your glassing.

chevymaher

Commander
Doesn't Mother Nature know we have important projects to get done!?!?!?!?!?! I think the Admirals have a line to her when we get to involved with our "Other" girls!!!!! LOL

You are moving fast, fun to watch. Excited to see how you are going to do your glassing.

Boy you are not kidding. I got my work caught up no rain over the weekend. And the admiral has a list of stuff for me to do today. I am like really? Are you kidding me.

I guess after the list is done get the yard done grass cut etc. So I get the weekend to do something I want to do.

I purposely planned my next job next week so I do have some time.

Like the old saying goes. Life is what happens when you make other plans.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Well I got in a few hours today before it started raining.

While we were out I went to the place that has the marine vinyl. Just pre shopping seeing what they had. Plan is to start the sewing of interior in the winter months while I can't go out to work on the boat. Less regular work and more time to do it.

Seems the admiral being a island girl likes boats. I did the chevelle she was like whatever show me when it is done. On the boat it is a different story. While we were there and I was looking. I was shopping the original colors. Well then the admiral had her Secretary send me the memo and inform me there is a change of plans.

Originally it was mainly white and burgundy matching the hull somewhat in pin stripes and a few grey patches. Now I have been informed it will be a Grey and burgundy. No white. The top side padding that is burgundy in the back will now extend into the bow rider section on the backrest of the bowrider section. Seats same pattern just grey with burgundy stripes. Aye Aye mam I get right on that.

Now I am going to photo shop our old interior and see what goes where. Subject to the approval of the admiral of course.

Today I got some more deck up and the out side stinger for 4 foot or so. All the foam cleaned out.

Sure looks more impressive in the garbage bags and in the full garbage can than the picture of the hull. As for the amount of work done.

And the issue with the lake forming in the tarp when it was raining heavily. Put the swim ladder down before tarping it. Much better grade for the rain to run off.

Attachments

• photo264852.jpg
    photo264852.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 7

chevymaher

Commander
Got a nice long day in today. Out there at the crack of dawn. Mainly was trimming the fiberglass closer to the hull for grinding. So not really any difference in the pictures.

I noticed today the stuff in the engine compartment was in the way if I was going any farther. So I spent hours taking pictures of wires on the transom. Labeling the wire ends as they came off. Took the vents out and tubing. Front motor mount out. It is mush in there where the bolts were. I got the bilge pump out and the sensor. I got the hydraulic motor unhooked wiring and unhooked from the last piece of deck in there.

So tomorrow the gimbal housing is ready to come out. Then get the swim deck ski pylon and fish the ground wire through. Tie all that wires up out of the way. Wont be long I will be a grinding fool.

SHSU

Got a nice long day in today. Out there at the crack of dawn. Mainly was trimming the fiberglass closer to the hull for grinding. So not really any difference in the pictures.

I noticed today the stuff in the engine compartment was in the way if I was going any farther. So I spent hours taking pictures of wires on the transom. Labeling the wire ends as they came off. Took the vents out and tubing. Front motor mount out. It is mush in there where the bolts were. I got the bilge pump out and the sensor. I got the hydraulic motor unhooked wiring and unhooked from the last piece of deck in there.

So tomorrow the gimbal housing is ready to come out. Then get the swim deck ski pylon and fish the ground wire through. Tie all that wires up out of the way. Wont be long I will be a grinding fool.

Pictures Pictures Pictures. I can't tell you how many times they have saved me when trying to remember how things go back. One thing I learned, always take more than you think and from different angles. From what you have said about labeling you are light years ahead of me. I haven't learned to do that yet... :eek:

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Yesterday was mothers day. So I got burnt on working on the boat. I got the ski pylon, swim deck. hydraulic pump and gimbel housing off. I got the steering, throttle, shift controls and wiring up tied out of the way now. With the gimbel out of the way I could get to the transom drain better. It was kinda solid for a half inch then mulch screwdriver sunk in like butter.

I sanded the edge of the key hole to see how thick the glass was there. I was relieved to see it is actually pretty thick I won't screw that up I don't think taking the transom out.

So todays selection of pics or it didn't happen are. Pile of boat parts in the garage. Gimbel was the reason for that shot. Back of the boat stripped. Now I can buff the stuff I couldn't get to before. And inside keyhole/gimble shot. So back to hacking the insides out for tomorrow at least. I got a deck to do coming up soon.

Attachments

• photo265058.jpg
    photo265058.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 10
  • photo265059.jpg
    photo265059.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 10
  • photo265060.jpg
    photo265060.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 10

SHSU

Yesterday was mothers day. So I got burnt on working on the boat. .

I disagree, you worked hard on mothers day for the boat. You were smoozing the admiral to beef up those brownie points!!!!!!

chevymaher

Commander
I disagree, you worked hard on mothers day for the boat. You were smoozing the admiral to beef up those brownie points!!!!!!
True got her roses, went shopping and spent money on stuff she wanted. Grilled her favorite food.

It is killing me now. I am about to head out and chop a hole in the transom see what a mess in is there where the screwdriver poked through so easily. Then back to tearing the rest of the deck and stringers out.

SHSU

True got her roses, went shopping and spent money on stuff she wanted. Grilled her favorite food.

It is killing me now. I am about to head out and chop a hole in the transom see what a mess in is there where the screwdriver poked through so easily. Then back to tearing the rest of the deck and stringers out.

A sound investment into you boat!!!!

Hoping the transom comes out easy enough for you. Maybe it will be mulch and you can just vacuum it out.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Okay I had to go in the transom first just to satisfy my morbid curiosity. Wasted as suspected. Then I went back to work. Finished back to transom on port side. Got the deck up to the transom on the starboard side. Foam up. Inner stringer out. Outer stringer is all that is left.

Then I kept loosing tools in the ocean of garbage. So I called it for the day. Put the tools up and spent a hour cleaning in there. Filled a garbage can and a half today. Vacuumed it all out pretty good. Tarped it up and watered the gardens. Ready for a clean start next time.

Attachments

• photo265186.jpg
    photo265186.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 13
  • photo265187.jpg
    photo265187.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 13
  • photo265188.jpg
    photo265188.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 13
  • photo265189.jpg
    photo265189.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 12
  • photo265190.jpg
    photo265190.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 13

SHSU

Making great progress!!! Very envious, I have to sit at work and read your updates while dreaming about what I can do tonight or on the weekend.