Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Amazing how these boats stay together with all that rotten wood and compromised fiberglass.

chevymaher

Commander
Amazing how these boats stay together with all that rotten wood and compromised fiberglass.
LOL I was thinking the same thing kind of. As I am hacking away at it. I am thinking wow these things are tough even when they are completely junk.

I am in a good frame of mind and just enjoying the process and looking at the end goal. As I said I was planning on doing this in the future when I got it. I am being overly careful I imagine and that is why I am so slow getting it apart. And I only can work a few hours at a time. Other obligations deal I got to do my work.

I been getting up before the crack of dawn and having my coffee. Get some work in before I have to do the things I should be doing. We going to pick up the baja at the end of the month for my brother. He is as Frisco says in the denial stage still LOL. But we will see once it is in his garage and gets a physical.

I keep pointing out what was said to me that got me looking hard. It is a 30 year old boat. If it doesn't have issues it is a miracle. LOL oh it was time on mine.

Now mine is apart I can see it was leaking where the cap and hull meet. I will seal that with silicoln unless there is a presrcibed way to do that in boats. I am all ears.

Goal for me is just get this all apart cleaned and ready this summer. Put it back together next spring. I got some regular work coming and that gonna slow me down.

But I am on it and doing what I can when I can. LOL can't expect to much from a newb. I just learning what tools I needed and got them.

I was in amazement when you guys said a saws all. I was thinking yea I gonna cut right through the hull with that. After struggling a few days I ran across a video of a guy using one. And I bought one yesterday. Have patients with me. I am learning. I am old stubborn and set in my ways. But this old dog is trying to learn new tricks.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
There is a wealth of knowledge from all they guys on this forum. Most of them have gone through exactly what you are going through and can speak from experience. Sometimes, however, it takes us stubborn guys a couple days of banging our heads before we realize it just isn't worth it. LOL. Nice to see all of your progress. I finally got some on mine and will need to post pics and such on my thread.

chevymaher

Commander
Question what is the best blade for the saws all? I have 24 10 and 6 TPI. This is for hacking at the stringer fiberglass combo bonus round,.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Fine tooth, metal for close work. Wood blade for bulk cuts. Lengths vary.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Okay today I actually ran into good wood. I got the first 6 inches of the port side stringer completely out now. I got the flooring out up there to back to the saws all. The piece you can see up under there is perfect and dry for what ever odd reason. I used air dremel with a grinder wheel(Whiz wheel) to separate the 2. So 6 inches back from that i am satisfied is ready to grind with the flap disc to clean it up. So far I haven't damaged the hull. This is my biggest fear and slowing me down the most.

I am getting more comfortable now I see what is under there. Despite being yellow it is just about to the hull just a thin layer of the foam left. I was thinking wire wheel and drill on it.

Now the question is. Is this ready for grinding down to the hull back to where the saws all is in the picture. There is about 1/4 inch and wood at the bottom. Or do I got to stop being a sissy and cut closer?

I am using the center section to lay on right now getting under there. And water is oozing up. So I don't want to cut the center out till I don't have to lay there any more. So finish the other forward most section of stringer on the other side. Then clean that floor out. It is full to the top with water.

Doing this section is like hanging drywall in a small closet. Feels like your hitting yourself in the face with the hammer working. If I had a dime for everytime I knocked the facemask or goggles off under there today. I could pay to have this done. But I am almost out of the woods on the roughest stuff.

Attachments

• photo262655.jpg
    photo262655.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 14

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
here's how it goes the more old solid glass you can cut out the better. If you were to grind it as is then tons more dust.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Fine tooth, metal for close work. Wood blade for bulk cuts. Lengths vary.

Stay away from the wood blades. The fiberglass in a boat is more abrasive than wood and will literally eat the teeth off a wood blade. I have only had luck with metal cutting blades. I highly recommend the blade below. It is extremely tough, long enough to flex to the shape of the hull, and has a blunt end so it won't easily punch through the hull. One of these blades lasted through my entire demo.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Got it. I will try and cut closer.

You'll be amazed at how quickly a 4-1/2" 32 grit flap disc will eat up fiberglass. I used a metal cutting abrasive wheel 1/16" thick on my grinder to get as close the hull as possible. As kcassells was saying, the closer the better.

chevymaher

Commander
Thanks Baylinerchuck. I went and got some more flap disk today. We being the family got a cold/flu of some kind. So the admiral made me take the day off. Best just listen and don't argue with her. I been watching educational videos on glassing and gel coat. Since she essentially put me in dry dock.

Are we allowed to post links to such things here for future prosperity. Or is that considered ads.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
You might want to read the rules section to see for sure. I know you can't post a competitors website. YouTube videos appear to be ok

chevymaher

Commander
You might want to read the rules section to see for sure. I know you can't post a competitors website. YouTube videos appear to be ok
That is what i figured. What I found was a demo on waterproofing and laminating. There was a single stringer a foot long. With explainations. The other one was All the Gel Coats and resins when to use each type and what the wax was for. Then a long explaination of every kind of fiberglass and when to use each. Very informative and helpful.

They were not actually selling things in the video but I am sure they did. So err on the side of safety.

The admiral is giving me grief saying I am obsessing on working on the boat. Because I (we) are all really sick and I complain because I can't. Some goofy flu.

Uh honey ever met me? How long we been married? It was the chevelle before this and before that.......I just ain't happy unless i got a major PIA project going on.

I been reading your whole thread Baylinerchuck. It is inspiring me. Nice work. I was looking at my pics last night. I am making progress. Just relax it is getting done. I have only had the silly thing a few weeks now. Most important thing is just don't panic as my brother and I joke.

My poor brother has a HOA that says this stuff has to be in the garage can't be outside. He needs to move the 66 skylark to the alternate storage at a buddies farm. So he can go get his boat. Make room in the garage.

Well since i can't work off to read other peoples threads and projects a while.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Your brother has a 66 Skylark? Could it be the Gran Sport with the Wildcat 455?

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Your brother has a 66 Skylark? Could it be the Gran Sport with the Wildcat 455?
It is a oddball. It has the 4 BBL 300 CI. It has the holes for the gran sport emblems all over the car. Factory holes in the right locations. Emblems missing tho. Has the correct rare trans for one. But no documentation so it could be anything. Low miles but needs a complete restoration. All chrome is there and undamaged. Never been wrecked. Rust bucket. But most are before they get fixed. Cars and boats are a family affair here.

Here are what we were screwing with till the boats showed up. Charger is his and the chev is mine. Both our car were in about that shape when they started.

Attachments

• photo262751.jpg
    photo262751.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 3
  • photo262752.jpg
    photo262752.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo262753.jpg
    photo262753.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 3

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Looks like the Skylark is a 65. The 66-67 went with smaller tail lights The 300 ci was in the Skylark, not Gran Sport. My step-father had a 65 Gran Sport with the Wildcat 455. That sucker would fly! Wish I could find an original one today.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

I was sick and there were the holidays. Yea Yea I know quit slacking and get to work. I was out there at the crack of dawn.

I got the drivers starboard forward most section of the stringer out today. I got it alot closer to the hull this time. I am starting to get a system together now. I cut it close enough the deck just fell off with out cutting into the hull. LOL by the time the boat is cleaned out I be getting fair to middlin at doing this.

I know I am not setting the world on fire with the pace. but I am workin at it when I can. I got to stop and do my regular work now.

Admiral said I am over the flu I can go back to it. Grinding up under there is alot easier than cutting it. I already did a test patch before I quit.

Just about out of the woods now on the ridiculously hard positions while working.

Attachments

• photo263116.jpg
    photo263116.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 10

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Don't beat yourself up. You haven't even had the boat for 30 days, yet. I think you have accomplished quite a bit.

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's coming along nice.

Pace yourself for the long haul or is it hull?