Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
This is what I used. Took 6 cans 25 bucks. Spray it on and get a color let it dry. It soaks most of that up. Took a little over 2 cans for that. Then once it has dried kinda a hour later. Sealed the pores more or less. Then just went over it a couple more times till the color stayed fast, Then mist coated it all get a even texture on it.

It is a real rubbery substance when dried.

I couldn't sleep last night after getting the snow off the boathouse so internet investigation is where i was till morning. Crafting people are using this stuff on wicker and burlap on the interwebs. So I spent the morning testing it on canvas same material as the boat cover from a fold up fishing chair.

Then once i was happy it would work I went for it.

Anyway my old standby VHT Vinal dye was just to expensive for this large a area. So I experimented. It works. I got mine at the Wal Mart in the paint section.

I just went out and folded it real hard and drug a nail over it. It isn't coming off.

Attachments

• photo287655.jpg
    photo287655.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
I know this sounds silly to cheer for but yippee we got a tornado watch today. I live here tornadoes are old hat. But it means the snow system that would have hit us is deflected northward by this front. Which means it is finally going to start warming up here for the summer. And that means soon glassing weather.

chevymaher

Commander
Oh Yea its here LOL. Major thunder.

Went out wind blowing rain sideways. Took a towel out and dried the boat off and put the big tarp over it all.

I am very pleased with the way the cockpit cover turned out. It is completely dry now and looks great. I was torture testing it. That was the right stuff to do that with. Like i said it is a rubbery type finish well suited to it. Water rolls right off of it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well I been fiddle farting around still waiting for warm weather. Checking the life jackets. Need to seriously clean them.

But the biggie you guys would get a kick out of. When I opened the resin and took it out to shake it last time. Well I threw the baby out with the bath water. Yep I threw away the MEKP with the packing peanuts. Isn't that special.

So I called myself every name in the book and ordered more a couple days ago. It should arrive long before it is 70 degrees. We are in a weird weather pattern jet stream is dropped down over us so it is way colder than normal here. I ain't complaining Kassels don't yell at me. Just got to deal with it.

Ground here turns to soup when the ground thaws from being frozen all winter. It apparently is done and the ground is hardening up. Mud around the boat is getting a hard upper crust now.

River is supposed to flood again because of all the snow and rain we been getting.

I got a ball hone for the engine rebuild. I don't want to start that until the boat is together. Massive oil and grease in close proximity to new white interior dont seem like a good idea to me.

I still kickin doing little things like i posted. Doing the finish details basically since there is nothing else i can do.

Happy Easter tomorrow everyone.

Now how could I yell at you? I'm living vicariously thru your posts. It snowed here this morning? Say what??

chevymaher

Commander
It is 75 now. I took the blue tarps off the sides of the boat house. I put them up to hear it but since it would explode if I do they just ugly.

tomorrow back to 40 as a high they say.

And I am back at the courthouse waiting in line again for property taxes on the boat. I was here already for the tags can't they send them at the same time.

chevymaher

Commander
Well today I took the tarps off in the freezing cold and put the top on and adjusted it the way it should be now that the side brackets are fixed. Killin me I wanted play busy work if nothing else.

MEKP came. Now it is cold again. I told them at the store the weather was all my fault. Kinda like it raining when you wash a car. I got a boat now it is snowing all summer and the river is staying flooded.

So lets review it was 80 degrees a week before the glass and resin came and the next day after it came we had snow storms. I found out I threw the MEKP away with the packing peanuts and it goes to 75 degrees. MEKP comes now it is snowing and we getting 4 inches friday it says.

My Buddy Mr Murfy is right on this isn't he. He is Da Man. On facebook here they got a APB out on Mother Nature. Says she is bipolar and off her medication again. If you see her call.................

oldrem

Commander
I can feel your pain. I've given up hope of even starting back on the boats for at least a few weeks here. Now I'm just looking at the long range forecasts in hopes of warm enough weather to barrel test a couple outboards I've worked on over the winter. Night time temps still mostly in the teens and 20's here. If the long range is right I may get the break I need in about 10 days when it's at least supposed to get into the upper 40's for awhile. Hang in there

chevymaher

Commander
I can feel your pain. I've given up hope of even starting back on the boats for at least a few weeks here. Now I'm just looking at the long range forecasts in hopes of warm enough weather to barrel test a couple outboards I've worked on over the winter. Night time temps still mostly in the teens and 20's here. If the long range is right I may get the break I need in about 10 days when it's at least supposed to get into the upper 40's for awhile. Hang in there

It is just a thing tho. They are saying now 3-6 inches friday night. And not warm for weeks. Come on I running out of things to do LOL

Well for those interested here is the review on the cockpit cover experiment. It was a worthwhile thing. In the before picture it was all stretched out and water would pool in the white nasties even with the props in properly. That material in the white areas is beat to death looks like from someone jamming a board in there to get the ice off of it.

It is stiff now but it did draw it back up into its original shape. A unexpected but welcome side benefit. It does look good now. I keep a full cover on it so it just got to look decent on the way to the boat ramp when we get that far. I am sure i will eventually make another one but for now that is way down the list of things to do. I do feel this gave it a new lease on life for a good long while. At least it isn't embarrassing looking anymore.

Attachments

• photo287788.jpg
    photo287788.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo287789.jpg
    photo287789.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
It got into the 50's today. Weird weather this year. I took a scrub pad out and a sponge and got the swim deck clean. Tree sap and the flowers from the trees off of it. Looked it over it needs washed and waxed I can see that soon as it is together.

Opened the chevelle's trunk and stared at the ropes, prop, and life jackets a while. I have had a break longer than I wanted or expected. I am ready to put my nose back to the grindstone now. Are ya listening there mother nature. Don't know what I did wrong but I am sorry. You can quit punishing me now.

Trees getting leaves flowers budding. Grass needs cut. And I am sitting here waiting for it to snow so I can clean the drive to get out in the morning. So I can take the Admiral to work.

But it is saying maybe next weekend, just maybe normal temps. At this point I will believe it when I see it. I do got my fingers crossed.

Way the river is acting this year ain't no rush. Be lucky if the flood waters return to normal stage by ramp openings. They won't put the dock in till they can dredge it after this flood. That little side area fills with silt when it floods and they need the dock out for the backhoe.

They do take good care of the landing down there. They sure are not wasting the money they get from the fees. Which I got to pay yet. All in due time.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Looking great there guy!! Trust me, I’m with you on this crazy weather. 65 today, snow tomorrow. Stupid!

chevymaher

Commander
Looking great there guy!! Trust me, I’m with you on this crazy weather. 65 today, snow tomorrow. Stupid!

Thank you.

I was talking to my brother yesterday. He is working on that Baja he got at the same time. I be done before him looks like. So he is excited to go on mine and skii.

His boat is turning out real nice to. New steering wheel and gauges. He is about to re gel coat a bunch of it. Changing the stripe colors. He bought the same sewing machine i did. And has been also re doing his interior.

You know it would be nice for you to post some more on the water pics this year when you go out.

My biggest upcoming issue is making a new pad for the boat to sit on so I can get in and out easily.

It did snow but not the crazy amounts they were predicting. Just a dusting on the truck out there. I dont even have to knock it off the boathouse. Soon as the sun comes up it with be gone. Ground was so warm it just melted as it hit.

chevymaher

Commander
well thats great news not a week worth of watching snow melt:)

Same deal this morning. I just came in fro knocking the snow off the roof. But it will be gone as soon as the sun comes up.

Weather is saying almost 80 toward the end of the week. It is getting up in the 50's today. I think I am going to remove the front decking and cut the spacer brace for under the bow section. Finish grinding the stringer bedding. Clean it all up in there and wipe it down.

I am not sure but it seems we will get a few days of glassing weather here in a row.

oldrem

Commander
Grab it when you can. Supposed to hit 60 one day this week - unfortunately I still work 6 days a week. Just hope I get a chance this weekend to run some barrel tests on two outboards I've been working on over the Winter.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
im stuck watching paint cure so i am now cleaning up 4 months of disorganization:)

chevymaher

Commander
Well I was out there a long time working. In under the tarp. I got the bow hall way predrilled. Matched the new wood to the old holes. Yea it is hard and takes time but i hate making new holes in the glass. Got the shim between the deck and fiberglass bow section made.

Then my son found me and he got in. I found I was just supervising and cold o I called it and cleaned the mud he drug in up. He da man tho. At least he is interested in learning what it going on.

Couple pics or it didnt happen. Yes i was in there and cold a long time today. 38 while i was out there. Tomorrow 50 it is saying and clear. Dry this mud up some.

Attachments

• photo288027.jpg
    photo288027.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo288028.jpg
    photo288028.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 4