Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Yippee the snaps and snap tool came.

I am past my work time now so I got to do other things. You know real life and damn responsibilities thing. And it is a mud pit with all the snow out there melting.

But I did go down and double up a piece of scrap vinyl and install one. Then took it to the boat to see how it grabbed the existing stud.

Score on all points. No deformation on the cap. Easy peasy to install. Gripped like a gorrilla.

I know I can't wait to get this bow cover done and throw the old raggety one away.

This will keep me busy a day or so.

I checked last years weather it was in the upper 70's all week next week of last year. I didn't think i was loosing it. Come on already.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe the weather will make up for your long winter and be great in your area until Christmas? :facepalm:

chevymaher

Commander
Doing snaps today.

After i drop the Admiral at work I got to go get more salt for snow tomorrow LOL. I thought it was spring? I am joking but here is a funny mime for the boat working.

Attachments

• photo286977.jpg
    photo286977.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
Got the snaps done the new velcro on.

Top looked better the longer it was on it got to find it's new shape some still. After it was on 15 minutes it looked better and was loose again, I figure it gonna have to be tightened up like that for a while. Got the pole for the bow cover with a snap on it finished to.

First pics look alot like the last set except this time they held on with snaps and not tape. Last few were the crunchy old bow cover and it being sent off to Davy Jones locker. See Ya Woudn't Want To be Ya.

Now get ready for the next blizzard tomorrow LOL. 60 now they saying 2 to 4 inches to be safe but up to a foot.

Last 2 pics are weather ones.

Attachments

• photo286986.jpg
    photo286986.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286987.jpg
    photo286987.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286988.jpg
    photo286988.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286989.jpg
    photo286989.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286990.jpg
    photo286990.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286991.jpg
    photo286991.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286992.jpg
    photo286992.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286993.jpg
    photo286993.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286994.jpg
    photo286994.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286995.jpg
    photo286995.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo286996.jpg
    photo286996.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2

cassadypaul

Cadet
That is looking really good and that gel coat finish looks new! I cant wait for spring so I can get started on my project!

chevymaher

Commander
That is looking really good and that gel coat finish looks new! I cant wait for spring so I can get started on my project!

Are you guys getting snow yet there. My boat work today consist of keeping the snow off of the boat house. And thank you and Oldrem for the compliment.

cassadypaul

Cadet
Yea its been snowing all day in Silverton. Its not sticking to the roads but it is on the cars and grass.

chevymaher

Commander
Yea its been snowing all day in Silverton. Its not sticking to the roads but it is on the cars and grass.

It was same here just cars and grass. Except this time now it is starting to stick to the roads here. Give it another 20 minutes and go clean everything off again LOL

chevymaher

Commander
Well it is getting better. 7 am and 65 degrees and raining wont be long i hope I can get this show back on the road.

I been porting heads for a dodge truck for a buddy. Finish that up today.

I love the new bow cover. People come over it comes right off and goes right back on with out new damage like the old one. I show the bow section since it is complete.

My center windshield sags. I hate doing searches and all the answers are from negative Nellies. They don't know the answer but just are doomsayers. Oh the boat is rotted and this that and the other. Chaa tell me something I didn't know now answer the question. How does rot affect a metal part that is sagging Einstein.

Anyway guy managed to modify and fix the issue. Great write up and detailed pictures. And he came back to that thread a year later with a update. Never did it again. Now there is someone I like reading their threads. A wealth of helpful information. No attitude no death and destruction apocalypses. Just boats were made cheaply here is how to fix it guys.

chevymaher

Commander
Well it is warm but not warm enough to glass. And it is raining like crazy.

My brackets that held the tops poles were broken both sides. They worked but popped out unless it was real tight. So today I fabbed up a new set out of plexi-glass. Work like a charm. Look good to.

I figure since it is warm enough to be out there do some of the smaller details that are not necessary but they are not to my liking and i know it will drive me crazy. Loose toggle switches and windsheild bracing. Stuff like that.

chevymaher

Commander
62 and raining alot. At least it isn't snowing still. Temps going back down again. I just got to do other things till it is 70. It is a mud pit around the boat. I got a carpet in the boat to whipe my feet on when I get in so I don't drag mud in it.

First pic is the brackets for the top poles to rest in. The old one the rear half broke off both of them so before you had it tight it kept falling out. Made it a pain to put up.

I took both windshield braces off. Windshield was flopping around because the plastic ball was sliding in and out of the metal tubes. I drilled them and put in a pop rivet on each end. Then as I mentioned i adjusted the center section of the windshield so it isn't drooping anymore.

I adjusted all the toggle switches so they were tight in the dash now.

After that i opened the bow section and put the snaps on the cusions up there that were supposed to have them.

Attachments

• photo287341.jpg
    photo287341.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo287342.jpg
    photo287342.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Well I been fiddle farting around still waiting for warm weather. Checking the life jackets. Need to seriously clean them.

But the biggie you guys would get a kick out of. When I opened the resin and took it out to shake it last time. Well I threw the baby out with the bath water. Yep I threw away the MEKP with the packing peanuts. Isn't that special.

So I called myself every name in the book and ordered more a couple days ago. It should arrive long before it is 70 degrees. We are in a weird weather pattern jet stream is dropped down over us so it is way colder than normal here. I ain't complaining Kassels don't yell at me. Just got to deal with it.

Ground here turns to soup when the ground thaws from being frozen all winter. It apparently is done and the ground is hardening up. Mud around the boat is getting a hard upper crust now.

River is supposed to flood again because of all the snow and rain we been getting.

I got a ball hone for the engine rebuild. I don't want to start that until the boat is together. Massive oil and grease in close proximity to new white interior dont seem like a good idea to me.

I still kickin doing little things like i posted. Doing the finish details basically since there is nothing else i can do.

Happy Easter tomorrow everyone.

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At least you discovered the missing MEKP before you went to use it. :thumb:

That's how it would have gone for me....right when the temps warm up, I would have noticed it.

chevymaher

Commander
Snowed pretty good I just went out and knocked it off the boathouse. going up to 76 it says tomorrow and thunderstorming. Then back down and snowing sat it says. Crazy weather but it is almost over.

I gonna try to go back to sleep now my duty has been done. This little 3 inches be gone by the time the school bus gets here it is already warming up and melting like crazy out there.

But the important thing the ol barge is staying bone dry.

chevymaher

Commander
Well todays adventure was making the cockpit cover presentable. It is in good shape and i am sure will last 5 more years or so. But the previous owners plural never took care of it. Sun faded and it had leaves and ice sitting in it. I pressure washed it when I got it and got most of the black out. But it had 2 big rings that were practically white on it.

I got spray fabric dye and did it up with that. In the pic is was real wet still and alot more red than it ended up being. Once it was not tacky I put it back on the boat.

I pre tested on a piece of blue canvas. Then beat it up for a while see how it would last. folding it up wrinkling it dragging a knife across it. General abuse. It stayed the correct color.
First pic the nasty and a touch of the dye to see what it was. Red was better than the nasty so I went on.

Second pic it is wet. I used a heat gun on it a while to flash dry it since it is so cold today. Put it back on the boat with a heater in it to speed up the cure. It is slowly changing to wine/burgandy to match the boat.

Last pic was the only one i could get natural light on the boat with the car port over it. But as you can see it is definitely getting darker and the correct color as it dries.

Attachments

• photo287636.jpg
    photo287636.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo287637.jpg
    photo287637.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo287638.jpg
    photo287638.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 3
  • photo287639.jpg
    photo287639.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo287640.jpg
    photo287640.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That looks really great.

Can you post a link to the dye, I could use something like that!