Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
Not sure by your reply but you seem upset?
No I am not upset. I am tickled I finally got it to go together. Probably just wound up still from the big seam adventure. Nothing was meant by anything. I reread and changed it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
What kind a sewing machine do you use. I think this is the winter I'll be attempting to sew.:eek:

chevymaher

Commander
What kind a sewing machine do you use. I think this is the winter I'll be attempting to sew.:eek:
I actually have 2. One is a singer in a stand. The one I am actually using now it a JC Penny one. It is a home use one. Th

chevymaher

Commander
I actually have 2. One is a singer in a stand. The one I am actually using now it a JC Penny one. It is a home use one. The singer is a heavier duty but it need the drive done it slips in heavy fabric.

chevymaher

Commander
I am up doing the I don't sleep well thing. It is about to snow. Weather is going into the winter nasty. 3 cheers for the carport and a dry boat LOL. More sewing in a couple hours. I got a childs B-Daty party to attend today so work will be cut short. With luck I can finish this seat. Think I will go start the coffee and go to work early. Thinking about it just woke me up more and motivated me.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey CM, start watching Craigslist for a Singer 15-91 or 201. These Home Machines are Extremely Heavy duty Home machines and will sew 6 layers of vinyl with no issues. Usually can be found for $75 or less.

Last edited:

chevymaher

Commander
Hey CM, start watching Craigslist for a Singer 15-91 or 201. These Home Machines are Extremely Heavy duty Home machines and will sew 6 layers of vinyl with no issues. Usually can be found for $75 or less.
I will do that thanks for the tip.

I got the side sewed on this morning. As I was sitting there finishing that. the heater started making a terrible noise. Induction motor the squirrel cage flew apart. I messed with that and got it fixed and going again. Went to the B-Day party. Came home and the house is warm. Yea for hillbilly ingenuity.

Car port rocked this morning. After my post it sleeted and it had 1/4 of ice on it. Boat is dry and fine.

Met a couple at the party from the inlaw side of the family that had a boat. We had boat talk a while.

So tomorrow after I sleep in some. I will assemble that seat and get pics of course. Start painstakingly disassembling the other one so I can do that one.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Well it is sleeting again today. I guess winter is officially on now here.

Heater in the house recovered from it's "Issues" and isn't competing for my time. Sooooo................

I finally got this seat done and pics as promised. I am trying to do my best to mimic the factory job with just a change from the burgandy to the cardinal red. Brighten it up in there a little.

Second half of the program carefully disassemble the other one and cut the wood if I got time.

I know I sure like sitting in the garage working watching TV. Than outside freezing my tail off.

Attachments

• photo279993.jpg
    photo279993.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo279994.jpg
    photo279994.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
Wow, really looking good. Most impressive.

Thanks Chuck. I am really happy with it.

I slept the old man sleep last night. Dozed in my chair 2 hours at a time. So Now I am rested and ready to hit the salt mines again.

Yesterday before I stopped I got all the parts separated on the other side without damaging anything I needed to use. I am getting coffee'ed up now and I will got cut the millions of little strips of vinyl. Then start making the piping I need. Cut and sand then paint the new wood for the seat base first. So the paint dries before I need that part.

Got to go to the bank and make the house payment later when it is open. Damn regular life can't leave me be so I can live and work in my Fantasy boat world LOL.

I saw crazyfinn winterized his boat. Chuck had his out this year. All the boats I was watching as I did my demolition as inspiration to drive and continue on are done.

Well as done as any project really ever gets. You always think of something to do. But they are splashed. And a slew of other boats that I watch are nearing completion.

I often just fantasize of making my splash video LOL.

chevymaher

Commander
I had work yesterday. And I had fabric fold as I sewed it. I was fit to be tied. My wife made me quit i was aggravated and pushing to hard. I got the wood made and painted. I got the pleats done. The end cap deals is where I got the fold on the corner. I made the replacement pieces. Things are actually going fine I was just pushing to hard and wanting it done to fast. Just had to take a step back and relax.

Last night after I was back in a sane frame of mind. I went in and took the small sewing machine off the big one. Open the box with a jillion attachments on the white sewing machine. Found a decent half crows foot and did some modification to it. Make it so I could sew closer to the piping.

I think since i will be doing this a long time leave one machine set up for one task and the white for the single piping operations. The double piping i think i am just burnt I got to hand sew them. I am still experimenting with scrap see what I can get going on that tho.

Life is interfering again. I got to take the admiral to the town a couple over for her internship in college. Tonight is Halloween and we going to grandmas so she can see my boy dressed up family stuff.

My truck is acting up again. I got a new starter to put on it. I think tomorrow is the day for that. It is supposed to go up to 50 and be in between rain and sleet storms. So I think I should get er done while the getting is good.

The admiral ask what i was going to spend the money I made yesterday on. I said more wood and vinyl of course. She just smiled. I can see now all interior wood should be replaced as even what seems good has soft spots once it is disassembled.

I talked boats with my brother that has the Baja. He has it running now. Bought his vinyl for his interior. Finally I think I got him to where he is in the frame of mind to do this. He wants to use his boat next summer and baby it. So he don't rip it in half with the roots blown big block. Then he is going to just gut and restore it the following winter. His wasn't like mine. It shows no signs of rot. But I have convinced him just do it and then you know what you got. Like I said to him i am sure it is in there somewhere. And you don't want to be doing 100 mph in a boat your not 100% sure is sound.

Just take care of it unlike the last owners and it will last the rest of his life.

chevymaher

Commander
Yea just did the single piping. The hours of modifications and grinding on the sewing machine parts was worth it. Now off to do things I don't want to.

chevymaher

Commander
Scored a little while i was out paying bills. Guy I know at the body/trim shop. He restores cars. He has boat snaps and he gonna let me have them for a nickle a piece.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Uhmm without pics of the upholstery...it never happened 😜
You got it boss.

Well I got the other bow storage seat done finally. All the got a life running was killin me. I got one more piece and the bow section is complete. Thank goodness it is a single piping part.

Got the seats installed now. Now i waiting on the bus for my son then got to go get mommy bla bla bla.

It is miserable and raining so the picture turned out for a change with the flash. DRS said it is nice the carport because you dont have to tarp the boat working on it. And he was right. I was thinking about that today as I ran in and out of the rain.

Last pic is the final piece in the bow that need to be remade.

Attachments

• photo280154.jpg
    photo280154.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo280155.jpg
    photo280155.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Yesterday I had to put a starter on the truck kinda slowed me down.

Bow section is now complete with exception of 4 snaps. Upholstery if finished. Now I am debating on what to do next.

I got glass block window to do at my sisters place there money for more supplies. I am gonna need some more wood since i decided just to replace it all as I do it. And I got to get more vinyl. I got a bunch left. Probably do the rear seats next I got enough for that. Then I can tally up what I need to finish.

Attachments

• photo280235.jpg
    photo280235.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 4