Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

FlyGuy16

Recruit
Keep up the good work man!

I bought one of these last summer in extreme rookie fashion and have since rebuilt the engine and learned way more about boats than I ever wanted to lol. The girlfriend and I just looked under the deck last week to reveal the same situation you had. Can't afford to restore it right now like you are doing, so I just scraped out all the soggy foam and will try to use git-rot or sea cast to keep stringers semi-intact and re-foam for structure and re-deck until I can finally tear it all down and start fresh like you're doing.

chevymaher

Commander
Keep up the good work man!

I bought one of these last summer in extreme rookie fashion and have since rebuilt the engine and learned way more about boats than I ever wanted to lol. The girlfriend and I just looked under the deck last week to reveal the same situation you had. Can't afford to restore it right now like you are doing, so I just scraped out all the soggy foam and will try to use git-rot or sea cast to keep stringers semi-intact and re-foam for structure and re-deck until I can finally tear it all down and start fresh like you're doing.
Thank you.

I got mine free in a package deal when my brother bought another boat. I helped build his new house and this was a payback for that.

I also learned more than I ever thought. I spent the first few months just studying hours a night. Honestly best bet is not to band aid it. Just get it started. Once it is apart you may be like me OMG I was actually going to use this thing the way it was. I can't really afford it now either with the admiral in college. But safety is first. It is her last semester and I figured it would take me that long to gut it. I am doing way better on this than I thought I would. Doing side jobs and saving my pennies.

I originally wanted to just clean it up and use it a year or so before doing this. Crazyfinn is the one who got me to check again. The hammer test isn't worth a nickle unless it is literally falling apart already mine tested solid that way. And I was told by the PO a marine mech is was okay. He lied. Or isn't as good a mech as he thinks take your pick.

It does take a few to just accept the magnitude of work that needs done. I do old cars so once I knew. I kinda was clued in this gonna be a whopper. It is a frame off situation.

Just do it take your time do it right and you wont have to deal with it again.

now back to the news. Today I going to clean the battery cables up re attach them to the bilge pump and put it away it is done. Clean the exhaust up and put it in the chevelle trunk it is done. Parts are off the work bench at that point. And i can load it up with the next stages of stuff.

Then take everything back out of the boat. Take the main stringers back out. Glue and screw the double ups at the tops of the stringers the deck mounts to. Then back to transom. Adjust the one 6 inch section the jig saw leaned cutting the gimble hole. Mark everything as far as mounting holes. For doing the dowel inserts. Then I am going to shape the center some so the glass lays better. Make my bracing from the 2X4's. Practice clamping so I got the system down and it is quick when the time comes.

I been thinking glass and seal the top halves of the main stringers before they are put in. Do it on a wood vice on the benches. Alot easier to deal with. Then once they are tabbed in they are done.

chevymaher

Commander
I been working alot. I got the main stringer top double ups done. All the parts out of the boat now and stacked all over creation in the garage. I need to run a vacuum in the boat it is full of leaves and sawdust from working. Next make the transom clamps and practice that move. In and clamping quickly.

I been making my list of supplies. I got the budget i have to work with for now. I got the admirals approval. I am just a tightwad and hate spending money but am about to pull the trigger. Once I have fully prepped the transom I will. I found the fiberglass rollers I still hunting the regular paint roller i will use for wetting.

Getting dangerously close to transom going in for good.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

HD has the 6" 1/4" nap rollers. Go get em. Acetone, measuring cups.
Yessir I got right on it. It is rainin anyway. I got 6 more mixing cups from my auto painting supplies and a couple more chip brushes I robbed from my house maintenence supplies. Bubble roller is ordered and on the way.

Attachments

• photo275792.jpg
    photo275792.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 6

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
after you use the mixing cups...when they dry out. save em, then crack out the ole stuff and reuse them. Squeeze push push dats all.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yessir I got right on it. It is rainin anyway. I got 6 more mixing cups from my auto painting supplies and a couple more chip brushes I robbed from my house maintenence supplies. Bubble roller is ordered and on the way.

I see the only thing you are missing isa a Six pack! Looking good!

chevymaher

Commander
I made my transom clamps and practiced doing that. It is miserable cold and rainy out there so I called it early today.

I was finding it tough to hold the 4X4 outside the inside 2X4 and get the clamp on all at the same time. I put legs on the 4X4 just lean it against the back. Then all I got to deal with is holding the clamp and inside 2X4 at the same time. Used a huge C-clamp on that. Bottom is so narrow from the Vee I just used 2 2X4's and a clamp. I checked everywhere it is tight.

Like frisco boater did I used a 2X4 on its side inside. Screwed some 3/4 on the outer edges. To adjust for the center of the transom being wider.

It was raining and I was getting water in the hull so I put everything inside took towels and dried it out. Tarped it back up.

I about wore that tarp out putting it on and taking it off. It is leaking now. Once it is dry out I will break out the new one and put it on.

This is sure a strange summer. Cold and rainy in august. It should be in the 90's here right now. It will warm up and dry out so I can get er done tho. It said zero percent chance of rain today. That didn't pan out to well. It is my fault tho I washed the van since it was supposed to be nice. You know what they say about washing cars.

Once it dries out and I can be in the driveway without cords and power tools laying in water. I will finish the details on the main stringers and transom. Mostly smoothing edges so the glass lays nice. My main bilge drain needs wood for the screws. I drilled 2 pieces of wood to put there. But separate from the main transom. That was when I was wet and cold and lost motivation for the day.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey Chev... you really should recruit a helper that day and go thru the motions prior. Strange weather....ya think? Just saw a palm tree growing in my driveway in Pa. Florida/Texas is gone and there is no more gas? lol

chevymaher

Commander
Hey Chev... you really should recruit a helper that day and go thru the motions prior.

I can see the point there. I think my buddy across the street just got volunteered and he don't even know it yet.

Well after I posted I went over my shopping list. I would be shy resin but can get everything else on Woodenglass's wish list. Cab-o-sil. 1.5 oz CSM and 1708. Have to cop more resin as I get the money. I am sure I will need more of something else by then to.

I went to order they are closed weekends so monday I be doing that. Should get the transom and glass in the keel and bulk heads that are attached already. Hope I get more side work before I am done.

Warm up on the spot four winns stapled through the hull first tho. Be hell finish the boat then be buffing and think oh yea Those holes I forgot. Under the foam and deck now I remember. Damn I had it ground and ready and everything. Getting old is a terrible thing memory and all.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Definitely second the idea of recruiting a helper. I had my 14 year old daughter help me with the transom. Wouldn't have been able to set the clamps with out her. Also 1/4" chop strands strengthen your fillets, and help you use less cabosil.

I also second the weather woes. I busted my butt to get this boat done only to stare at it sitting in the garage.......

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Sanded the main stringers to make them smooth as possible for the upcoming events.

I cut the turn dealy in the gimbal hole. On the correct side this time. Sanded all the edges.

Pic of the inside main transom clamping device.

And I made a cute wedding ring for my Mistress. The bilge drain needed wood for the screws. I angled it so the hole is as low as possible on the boat side.

Attachments

• photo275983.jpg
    photo275983.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 9
  • photo275984.jpg
    photo275984.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 9
  • photo275985.jpg
    photo275985.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 9
  • photo275986.jpg
    photo275986.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 9

chevymaher

Commander
US Composites is closed today so looks like i will order this stuff tomorrow.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Its kinda like picking a scab, it hurts, but it feels good lol

That scab would be where I nailed my knee with the grinder last week LOL.

Well nothing exciting I am just waiting now. Boat keyring came so I put the new glove box and ignition keys on it. Map was something I inherited in the locked glovebox. It was here by my easychair and seemed as fitting a background as any. It was actually a pirates booty in that glovebox. I got a bunch of good stuff.

Attachments

• photo276098.jpg
    photo276098.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Well friday was the delivery date. For what ever reason one of my packages got moved to monday. Idiots sound like the threw the box and busted open the resin to me. I used to work for UPS and they treat packages like they are garbage going to the dump.

Oh well that is why we pay the big bucks for the hazardous shipping fee. Have fun cleaning the truck boys.

I know I miss working on the boat. It has become part of my life now. I can see how some of you guys go from project to project now.

I been watching the video on canvass sewing that was posted.Opened the tarp and checked to see if it was dry inside yesterday after the rain we got. I taped plastic over the vent holes that solved the leak it had. Once I finish for the summer i will put the new tarp on it. I can see now this boat needs to be under a canopy at the very least.

I also see that if your not vigilant in keeping it dry it wont be. Now that I have had it a while and see what is going on. It is no wonder it was rotted out.