Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• man following your thread gives me itch to get mine done faster lol, its awesome to see everything going smooth-ish with the starter hang up. cannot lie though i would have gone to AutoZone for a starter if possible, cannot beat the life time warranty no matter what.
    Seadoo 96XP Full Resto (Sold)

1989 BayLiner Capri 14' Full Resto
    (https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...pri-resto-help)

Comment

• Originally posted by Scherfz1 View Post
      man following your thread gives me itch to get mine done faster lol, its awesome to see everything going smooth-ish with the starter hang up. cannot lie though i would have gone to AutoZone for a starter if possible, cannot beat the life time warranty no matter what.
      Sure is tempting but a the potential for a boat fire would always bug me and for the little extra time and money, it doesnt make sense to do anything but the right thing and use J1171 coast guard approved parts...

Not only for your own safety but the safety of everyone else on the water with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Props View Post

Sure is tempting but a the potential for a boat fire would always bug me and for the little extra time and money, it doesnt make sense to do anything but the right thing and use J1171 coast guard approved parts...

Not only for your own safety but the safety of everyone else on the water with you.
        idk about that.... and here is why..... when you are first staring a boat the engine bay is suppose to be vented for at a minimum 2 min..... so in theory, even if the starter was to spark from the brushes, no harm no foul..... but even in starters being manufactured in todays day and age are about a sealed as sealed can be it seems.

but i do understand your point of view, i just dont like the idea of a marked up part for a coast guard stamp..... now if you were talking aviation i would all day pay for the aeronautical stamp on those parts LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Scherfz1 View Post
          now if you were talking aviation i would all day pay for the aeronautical stamp on those parts LOL
          Not sure I see the difference..?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Props View Post

Not sure I see the difference..?
            well aside from blowing up on a boat due to fuel vapors igniting from a starter, when parts fail on a plane you usually fall to a death or life changing injury while killing others..... planes fall out of the sky all the time, now i know for a fact rednecks use the auto parts store daily to fix there boat and i have yet to not hear, but actually see (or documented) a boat blow up from a non approved coastguard part.... but then again i dont go lookin for information like that, like i do with aviation.

Comment

• The case is welded and sealed on a marine starter. The main motor body. Not bent in a circle with the open seam on the side.

I looked into all this long ago. I made a alt for the boat and got the heavy drama act. We are all gonna die the earth axis changed woe is me.

So I looked all this stuff up. All coast gaurd stuff for me. I like the man liking my toys if he looks. Life it easier if you don't rock the boat. See what I did there?

I always open the engine compartment and smell it check for leaks before I start it anyway. Only takes a second. Better than finding out in a few minutes oh the bilge plug may have wanted to put that in as your in the middle of the river. I did it before testing for leaks as a matter of fact. Wow the bilge fills fast with that out.

I found a high torque gear reduction starter. Brand new for 60 bucks. I am good with it. I got a year warentee and it is coast guard approved.

It just rained and is going to rain again for the next 2 days it said. And OMG we needed it. So no harm no foul. I couldn't go anyway. And we need water in the worst way raise the river some.

Dance with the waves,
              move with the sea.
              Let the rhythm of the water
              set your soul free.

1987 Four Winns 170 Horizon.

Comment

• Okay tomorrow we all know what I be doing. Starter came.

First pic since I was down there and thought about it. The seam in a car starter. I got all kinds of spare parts down there. I think that is the 454's.

Gotta love these guys brand new starter and they send a test sheet basically a dyno sheet for it.

And you can see first things first I bench tested it. Wow this thing is quiet.

As my buddy says when we work on stuff. Almost vroom vroom time.
                Dance with the waves,
                move with the sea.
                set your soul free.

Comment

• I spot flip flops... the boating dream is strong with this one

Comment

• I wonder if we could get those 2 starter pics side by side and stickied to show the obvious difference between marine and non, as something quick and easy to reference the next time questions arise?
                    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...-other-updates
                    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...acker-magna-17

Comment

• Originally posted by strokendiesel002 View Post
                      I wonder if we could get those 2 starter pics side by side and stickied to show the obvious difference between marine and non, as something quick and easy to reference the next time questions arise?
                      And then put this pic next to the automotive one...
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image5003788x.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	10773229

Comment

• I can get the side by side pics. I got the old starter and the car starter.

Well I had fits today. Stripped the main terminal. I got it sorted out and ran it on the muffs. Used a fatter nut from my scrap pile.

Anywho it is fixed now.

2 pics one the cute way I held the starter so I could get the bolts started. Little hard to float upside down and have both arms in there. I wasn't really wanting to pull the engine cover. I used a small rope tied to the solinoid.

Second pic i just thought was funny. From me having ice water in the boat when I worked. There was steam/condensation on the side of the boat. I circled it.

Well I gonna go exercise ride the bike 20 miles make the admiral and the doctor happy. Lower that blood pressure.
                        Dance with the waves,
                        move with the sea.
                        set your soul free.

Comment

• Nicely done!
                          https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...-other-updates
                          https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...acker-magna-17

Comment

• Nice Macgyver on the starter
                            - Eric

Somers, WI

Old enough to know better - but crazy enough to try anyway

Comment

• Here are the 2 starters side by side. The no seam is the one that came out of my boat.

Alternators have screens in them so sparks dont fly out.

Fuel pumps have a vent so if the diaphragm breaks fuel goes to the carb.

Carb has a port so the line from the fuel pump can be vented into the bowl.

Basically that is it. other parts are the same as far as explosion prevention.

Dist has no vacuum advance. Timing differences due to that.
                              Dance with the waves,
                              move with the sea.
                              set your soul free.

Comment

It is just to hot here. I am doing bodywork and it is so hot the glass is kicking off in 5 minutes.

Last time i went to the river I came home with the cover off and the rear seat was flipping open above 60 mph. My uncle lost one doing that. It snaps down but it dont take much to open it.

Well my buddies bayliner has straps that snap to the sides. Right angle on the snaps. I made 2 of them that baby wont do that again.

I know no pics I am talking out the side of my neck. I can go get one or get one tomorrow if KC dont call the coast gaurd on me.
                                Last edited by chevymaher; July 20th, 2019, 06:38 PM.
                                Dance with the waves,
                                move with the sea.
                                set your soul free.

Comment

Working...
                                X