Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
I can see why your brother is so tentative about looking at his boat. That things looks sweet!!!

To your grinder, I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN. Just like the train, you will get through it LOL.

You will forever tell the story of the grinder that could when you finish!!!!

chevymaher

Commander
Well the grinder started and revved then went higher in rpm. So that was part of it. It sounds better still making the death rattle tho. I think it will make it. I started on the sides now. Deck tabbing and the armrest as I call it in the middle.

I got touch up to do in places but it needs cleaned and wiped out with a wet rag so I can see it better. But for the most part the bottom is now done. Do that once it all is in the same stage and there won't immediately be 6 inches of dust.

Once this is over I will be cleaning this dust out for a week it seems.

SHSU it is a nice boat. Next time I am there I will get a picture of the motor. It looks like a prostock with that 671 blower on the 454.

SHSU

How much longer do you think you will be grinding? Have you started figuring out your fiberglass order amounts?

chevymaher

Commander
I don't know on the grinding. Depends on work mainly. When I get time to do it. I would think done within a month, Clean up and all. Like I said I can't say till it happens. I am new doing this so it isn't like I know exactly how long it is going to take me. All I can do is keep at it. I will admit it is going faster than I expected.

My personal goal when this circus started was to have the hull ready by cold weather. I gonna make that. Then I can shape the wood indoors over the winter and do other things to the boat parts. I got plenty to keep me busy over the winter.

I am going to get 20 gallons of resin and appropriate amounts of the 1708 and chopped strand. Following woodenglass's recipe for amounts. He said 15-20 gallons 20 it is. I got it in a computer folder with his recommendations for a boat my size. Where I am getting it I am still working on that. Resin I mean. The other stuff I am getting from florida at woodenglass's place. Resin I am working on getting it locally so I don't get the rape tax for shipping hazardous materials. But if I have to I guess just bend over and deal with it.

For that matter finding decent wood around here isn't easy either. Apparently they build houses with bottom of the barrel wood here. That is all they keep in stock. But I talked to a guy he will get in anything I need tho. At least that is handled already once I get there.

My brothers favorite saying in times like this is. Most important thing is just don't panic. It will get done.

Myself I with be just tickled to death when this grinding is over. That is a milestone in and of itself. As I said in several places in the thread. That is the one thing I had never done before. I was so sure I was going to screw it up. Grind through something stupid. But I was probably overly cautious and took to long but I seem to have run the gauntlet cross my fingers I got some left to do.

SHSU

Man, I thought you were like a week out from being done. LOL I am bad at setting time tables. For my project, I thought I would have a completed boat by June..... Well now I am aiming at September. That looks like it will be pushed further back now to.... LOL

chevymaher

Commander
Well the grinder just let me know what was wrong. Pitch changed from a crunching to a contant noise. Then the tractor didnt have no traction. drive gear went out. Going see if there are enough teeth to frankenstein rigg it. If not off to harbpor freight for the next victim

Last edited:

chevymaher

Commander
Okay shimmed the gear out as much as the c clip would allow. Filed the case to get the gear closer. Had to take the stop pin out and grind it because now it was engaged all the time locked solid. Cleaned the old grease and broken teeth out with brake cleaner and a cotton swab.. Re-greased the mess and reassembled. Took a test run grease shooting out everywhere maybe I put to much in there. Once I wiped it down it didnt do that again.

Once the mangled gears ground together the rpms went way up. It quietened down dramatically. I stressed tested it on a piece of I beam I got laying around from other non sense I work on. It pulled with me using gorrilla force on it.

So now maybe the poor thing will make it the rest of the job. Then straight in the trash when I am done. This poor grinder has been through it.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Well the grinder started and revved then went higher in rpm. So that was part of it. It sounds better still making the death rattle tho. I think it will make it. I started on the sides now. Deck tabbing and the armrest as I call it in the middle.

I got touch up to do in places but it needs cleaned and wiped out with a wet rag so I can see it better. But for the most part the bottom is now done. Do that once it all is in the same stage and there won't immediately be 6 inches of dust.

Once this is over I will be cleaning this dust out for a week it seems.

SHSU it is a nice boat. Next time I am there I will get a picture of the motor. It looks like a prostock with that 671 blower on the 454.

You'll be cleaning dust for years. I just found more in my wiring loom. Lol.

SHSU

Okay shimmed the gear out as much as the c clip would allow. Filed the case to get the gear closer. Had to take the stop pin out and grind it because now it was engaged all the time locked solid. Cleaned the old grease and broken teeth out with brake cleaner and a cotton swab.. Re-greased the mess and reassembled. Took a test run grease shooting out everywhere maybe I put to much in there. Once I wiped it down it didnt do that again.

Once the mangled gears ground together the rpms went way up. It quietened down dramatically. I stressed tested it on a piece of I beam I got laying around from other non sense I work on. It pulled with me using gorrilla force on it.

So now maybe the poor thing will make it the rest of the job. Then straight in the trash when I am done. This poor grinder has been through it.

You have more patience then I, I would have just chunked it and got another one. LOL After this, you may be so attached to it you should put it on a placard above your door or something. :first:

chevymaher

Commander
Yes chuck I been looking. It is all up under the bowrider section thick. I figure dust cleanup alone going to take a week. Just to get the heavy duty stuff out. Then unmask it all and take the air hose in there. Do it all over. Rinse repeat till it is all at least hidden and like you. It can turn up over the years.

SHSU yea your right. I was mad at it when I posted. If it makes it at the very least it will go under the stand up box with the drills and such.

Today it is thunderstorms so only boating I did was clean the shipwreck in the aquarium when I cleaned it. Before the grinder screwed up I got the one side done. I don't know what it is called. The armrest I keep calling it. But it is actually the storage shelf with cup holders under the side panel when the interior is in. I was starting the deck tabbing on the same side when it blew up.

I am actually getting pumped this wonderful grinding is drawing to a end now tho. I cant wait to get squares out and start measurements for the transom. Something clean to do for at least a moment.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Well the grinder lived to die another day. And that day was today.

I am going to freight by the bay to get another one on the way to the church festival today later.

Well the pics or it didnt happen. It made it till there was only this much tabbing left. I still got to clean the transom off. Then hose it out and see what needs to be done once it is clean again.

But I am out of the woods on the rough stuff.

Attachments

• photo270981.jpg
    photo270981.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 5

SHSU

Lets take a moment for our friend the grinder. We should give it a 21 grinder salute. It will forever be remembered as the grinder that almost did it.
:angel:

chevymaher

Commander
I got another one now like I said I would. Yes the grinder will always be remembered. On the spare parts shelf where I can cannibalize it over the years for the new one. Saws all made it through this adventure unscathed that is going to be a handy tool to use in the future. I even got 3 new blades left in the pack I bought.

Chuck I had to do major work to it 4 times to get it to go this far. It died would't run twice. I know these grinders inside and out now. The big drive gear is cast and the weak point. I learned take it apart and grease it. I opened it up and the grease had coked up and dried. That killed it. I am just getting it to hot wailing on it to long and never giving it any rest.

I kinda hope it makes it the last of this and the switch still works. That is what went first. Then it will have a easy life. 5 minutes here 10 there doing normal stuff. Cleaning a little rust when I do bodywork on things and such.

chevymaher

Commander
wow it was nice using a grinder that didnt vibrate so bad it hurt your hand.

Done got the tabbing out and the transom cleaned. Now I
will be cleaning the dust a week at least I think.

SHSU

wow it was nice using a grinder that didnt vibrate so bad it hurt your hand.

Done got the tabbing out and the transom cleaned. Now I
will be cleaning the dust a week at least I think.

So does that mean you are done grinding!?!?!?!

chevymaher

Commander
So does that mean you are done grinding!?!?!?!
I think so. Once I clean the dust and rinse it out with water I am going to look see if anything needs roughed up so the new glass will stick better. But I think I am. I started vacuuming and removing everything I had in the bowrider isle I was working with. Tools and things that was their place while I worked on this portion of the program.

I got to take all the tarps completely off not just peel them back to get in. Wash the bow cover and cockpit covers get this dust off of them. wash the entire boat get all this dust out of and off of it and the trailer. I had the air hose out there and after I vacuumed I used air in the higher sections. Wiring and in the bow rider hidden stuff. I got a half inch of dust to vacuum up again. Cleaning this gonna take a while it looks like.

I need to get some big cardboard somewhere to make my transom pattern. Go over everything and inspect it. Take a marker and mark things I think need touched up.

But yes for all intents and purposes grinding is over now. All tabbing is gone. And I got all the places the new tabbing goes roughed up. But this is what I want to check once it is clean. Hard to tell if it is good enough with all this dust.

It be a couple days before I can do anything more work calls. But i am so happy this part is done I could just s@@t.

chevymaher

Commander
Well I got the boats first rinse before I worked. About 4-5 more of them it looks like. Fill it with water drain it out. It is alot better already.

But this post is actually a episode of Randy"s Rants.

I have been on the phone for hours playing phone tag about resin. There is a place 5 minutes from my house that has it. There it is in the fence in 5 gallon buckets on pallets. Can I have some NOOOOO. Got to find a distributor that uses the place as a drop point on the way to where ever so it can be shipped from there. And charge the hazardous shipping fee. It is right there guys let me back the truck up and give you money.

Actually there are 3 places close but the other 2 are really zoo's to deal with. What is the top secret hand shake. Do you know the secret word. Well if you are not a member of the Illuminati we can't help you.

Really it is legal to have, to sell, and buy, what is the big issue here.

Well back to shopping.