1993 Bayliner Capri

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I never found anything that would soften the old carpet glue. I ended up grinding it off.

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I bought adhesive removal at Home Depot, will see how it works. Im affraid I will end up using the wire brush wheel to grind it off

dlogvine

Actually, after talking to several carpet and marine restoration people, i was advized not to use the adhesive remover and instead scrape old carpet off with scrapers. The one i got at Home Depot with a razor blade appeared to be crappy and just got me a couple extra blisters. The one that worked much better was smaller paint scraper. It worked much faster and in about 2 hours i managed to clean up about 75% of the surface. Will post pictures tomorrow. I also bought a marine grade carpet, which appeared to be only $5 per yard more expensive than similar outdoor carpet. Later did not have a rubberized base.

dlogvine

Now, i came across the following problem, i originally thought that i could preserve the old carpet intact and use it as a cutting form for the new carpet. Unfortunately scraping this old carpet completely destoyed it and i cannot use it to cut new carpet. I measured the carpeted areas and draw a diagram, however I dont want to risk cutting the new carpet incorrectly and therefore want to ask if there is a way to make a paper or plastic outline of this area and then put it on the new carpet, mark the cutting lines and then cut. Or is there a better way to do this?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I laid mine in the boat and cut it in place. I didn’t use a template. The marine grade carpet is a little harder to work with since it’s so thick.

dlogvine

I got is done with the heavy plastic template. It turned to be pretty easy. One problem I encountered was the hatch lid not fitting completely due to the thickness of marine carpet. It is tight but fitting on the sides but a 1/4 inch too long along. Any suggestions on how to adjust it?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Did you fold the carpet over the lip of the hole? Not sure, but cut the carpet flush with the hole. If you have to trim the hole out to make it larger, make sure you seal the end grain of the plywood.

dlogvine

Did you fold the carpet over the lip of the hole? Not sure, but cut the carpet flush with the hole. If you have to trim the hole out to make it larger, make sure you seal the end grain of the plywood.

Just folded the carpet over the edge of the existing hole, like the previous carpet. But since this carpet is marine and the old one was some cheap worn out junk, new carpet appears to be much thicker, I am not going to trim the plywood and did not do it. There is some flaps of the fiberglass mat hanging over the edge. I did not cut it yet, but might do this and seal the edge if it is not fiber glassed or if the old fiberglass is worn out.

dlogvine

Almost got a major setback. Thought that I would have to take the engine part again. When I was adjusting the rockers in one head the holding nuts in the other head got loose and two push rods went inside. One was sitting right at the edge of the hole so it was easy to retrieve. The second one was somewhere inside of the head and to be honest, my heart dropped down a bit. A picture of the engine dis-assembly part by part went before my eyes and I was thinking about how big of a setback this would be. But then I decided to fish a little with my snake magnet and I managed to fish the rod out. To my surprise it was not banged and undamaged.
Now I got a question, I adjusted the rockers by the sound, tightened them a little while engine was running so they stopped making knocking noises and then one by one got them loose and tightened until the noise disappeared and then 3/4 of a turn. Are there any suggestions about fine tuning them? Thx

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Might want to ask this question in the engine threads. I bet you’ll get a much quicker response.

dlogvine

The boat is running, tried it on the lake last weekend and got it to ran for about an hour or so. There was still a couple of the setbacks, leaking oil pressure switch (bad crimping) and a rough work of the throttle lever. Throttle lever I took apart and fixed the spring that was dislodged from the release button, the switch I bought in NAPA and new one does not leak. So the boat is almost ready, need a couple minor adjustments and trailer bunk replacement (this will be done on the lake with the boat in the water).

Attachments

• photo286536.jpg
    photo286536.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286537.jpg
    photo286537.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286538.jpg
    photo286538.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286539.jpg
    photo286539.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286540.jpg
    photo286540.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0

dlogvine

Thank you, now two more boats to go. Replacing deck and stringers and carpeting on 1994 Maxum and 1993 Larson. All the engine work is done on both.

dlogvine

Finally the boat is running. Had to take it to my mechanic to fix the Quicksilver throttle control. Could not find any diagrams of this mechanism. Mechanic adjusted it and fixed my assembly bloopers. Now the boat is 100% working.

Attachments

• photo289900.jpg
    photo289900.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo289901.jpg
    photo289901.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo289902.jpg
    photo289902.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo289903.jpg
    photo289903.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo289904.jpg
    photo289904.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo289905.jpg
    photo289905.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 0

dlogvine

I have a PDF for a quicksilver I got from DRS if you need one.
Sure, would be nice, my throttle lever is an old type and I wanted to see what did I do wrong putting it back together. Thx

Attachments

• photo282395.jpg
    photo282395.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
Sure, would be nice, my throttle lever is an old type and I wanted to see what did I do wrong putting it back together. Thx

Mine is a little different but i am sure it is close enough to be helpful. It says it is to big to upload. PM me and give your e mail I will e mail it to you.