1976 Grady White Transom Rebuild

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
I have started the removal of my engine this month. With the nice weather we are having I may start to make my of the rear of my cap. I would like to get advice from those that have experience doing this work. I have been planning this for about 2 years now. I have attached pictures please comment. I will post my plans on where I will make my cuts. Anyone located near 20872 that would like to learn and help as I would do the same for them in order to learn let me know!!!

I will then remove the rear cap with the splash well to access the transom.

Attachments

• photo259303.JPG
    photo259303.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 5
  • photo259304.JPG
    photo259304.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 5
  • photo259305.jpg
    photo259305.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Howard county.....Off Rt.94.

Maybe 2 miles from you by way the crow flies.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Before doing any cutting of the cap make sure the stringers are in good shape, it may change how you do the job.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
ondarvr

Thanks. As I learn more about the boat, I notice that I have a sealed deck that does not drain. My floor is solid and I know that doesnt mean the stringer are not bad. My stringer only go up to the cabin and stop. Then there is a dip into the bilge area so its like my deck sits up from my bilge. I want to say that my stringer do not go all the way back to the transom. I do plan on doing under the deck because I notice some small separation where the deck dips. The cabin containers are storage and a bed, underneath is only hull no stringers. I am going to the boat today and take more pictures so I can evaluate, but I think this is my best bet. My inner skin is delaminating and can be chipped away by hand. The only other way is to cut the back and I will not be doing that. Ill post some pictures when I get back. Thanks for the advice.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here is some pictures of the bilge area.

Attachments

• photo259324.JPG
    photo259324.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo259325.JPG
    photo259325.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo259326.JPG
    photo259326.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo259327.JPG
    photo259327.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo259328.JPG
    photo259328.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 1

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm in the 21666. Good luck with your project. Where do you usually go boating?

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
jasonbailey

Thanks Jason. I usually fish just south of the bay bridge Bloody Point. Last year I was docked at Casa Rio Marina, year before I was up on the Magothy River. How about you?

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
jasonbailey

Thanks Jason. I usually fish just south of the bay bridge Bloody Point. Last year I was docked at Casa Rio Marina, year before I was up on the Magothy River. How about you?

I live on Kent Island. I launch out of our community marina. Right now my boat is under re-construction. Very slow process....

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
jasonbailey

How long has it been in the shop? When I was at the marina last year I asked them to give me an estimate on the work. they told me they will have someone to look at it. They never did and told me that they guy that does the glass work is outsourced and usually is busy. I had another guy look at it and told me nice hull but never gave me a estimate or call back with one. WTF so I will go at it myself. I will fish and crab on the piers this year i suppose.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
jasonbailey

How long has it been in the shop? When I was at the marina last year I asked them to give me an estimate on the work. they told me they will have someone to look at it. They never did and told me that they guy that does the glass work is outsourced and usually is busy. I had another guy look at it and told me nice hull but never gave me a estimate or call back with one. WTF so I will go at it myself. I will fish and crab on the piers this year i suppose.

Mine has been put up for a while. My intention is to fix it myself, and I've started the process. Just finding time and $$ to get it done. My intention is to take a week off at the end of March and get the old stuff out, and get it ready for reconstruction.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
jasonbailey

What kind of boat do you have? I have fished over in Kent Island, I will never forget it. I was heading over there from the Magothy River to do some crabbing. As soon as I go to the break waters my boat choked and cut off. Man the temperature of my body went up 10 degrees. I had clog carbs and fuel pump. I had that thing full throttle coming back home back and forth pumping the bulb and trying to steer.

I will start working on my boat this week. I found a location that I will do the work. Right now the location I have it (friends house) is moving and I have to remove the boat. I will be transporting it today and I will start this weekend pending the atmosphere will allow me!!!

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
jasonbailey

What kind of boat do you have? I have fished over in Kent Island, I will never forget it. I was heading over there from the Magothy River to do some crabbing. As soon as I go to the break waters my boat choked and cut off. Man the temperature of my body went up 10 degrees. I had clog carbs and fuel pump. I had that thing full throttle coming back home back and forth pumping the bulb and trying to steer.

I will start working on my boat this week. I found a location that I will do the work. Right now the location I have it (friends house) is moving and I have to remove the boat. I will be transporting it today and I will start this weekend pending the atmosphere will allow me!!!

I have a little 18 foot trihull. I mainly use on the east side of KI. On a calm day I'll take it out in the bay, winds less than 10MPH. I've been up the Severn a few times, gone to the Blue Angels show. Extended family has a water front place in Cape St. Claire, I've taken it there.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey I was only joking.... How's the progress going? You have a great project boat there. Any more pics?
Napolean_Dynamite_just_kidding_meme_.png

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@kcassells

Haha. I just moved it to a new location where I will be doing the work. I will post some pictures later today. I will be removing all items in the bilge and on the back of the transom today. If all goes well, tomorrow I will remove the rubrails and see what I need to do with the cap. How do you remove rivets? I never done that before. Hopefully it will be only screws along the rubrail.