Playbouy Yachtsman 24 Restoration

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I didn't get any pictures of the upholstery process, but we did that pretty much the same way we did on the rear bench, as our technique worked well. Rear bench is back in, and sits much nicer on its new feet. We will put the cushions on once they have the seal tape applied.

tl4lGeG.jpg

Front bench in place. Plenty of room to walk and open the gates, plenty of room to get comfy.

x5whw2U.jpg

It's looking more and more like a real boat!

af69Enl.jpg

The admiral modeling our new bench. Having the extra storage is going to be great. I hate leaving things out on the deck (anchors, dock line, etc) from both a clutter and safety standpoint, so being able to fit everything away is great.

jK22xQ3.jpg

Is it March yet? Last night, I started on finishing the tables and final bench seat. Goal is to have the interior done by year's end. The two big projects for late winter/early spring will be a rebuild of the trailer, along with pulling the console to replace the steering cable (it's currently reversed), in addition to all the little cosmetic odds and ends that take forever.

lEJistq.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I've been really bad about taking pictures lately, so I apologize. This is the table that will go between our front benches. I think the wood burning turned out pretty cool.

zyJtqIm.jpg

Foam goes on the final backrest.

ODrvH7l.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
That wood looks sweeeeet!

Thanks! My crappy phone camera really doesn't do it justice. I think it's gonna look really neat when it has some actual sunlight on it. We did the other table with a metallic silver finish (will get some pics of it tonight), but now I regret not burning it too.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
We took a bit of a break from working on ours to look at the very nice ones at this year's Overland Park Boat show. Would have loved to come home with either the awesome Fountain Center Console, or the Sea Ray 460 Sundancer. Think I just about talked the Admiral into letting me restore a go fast once the pontoon is done.

rQ3cGau.jpg

Captain on a jet ski.

apLoB8u.jpg

And popping through a bow hatch on a Baja Outlaw.

Zu1OuQj.jpg

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. Got the backrest done on the final bench last night!

z6CWb0U.jpg

We'll get the bases foamed and covered tonight. Then the interior is just about done!

pBOLMAd.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
The Captain and I took a break from the work Saturday to go to the KC boat and sport show. Here he is with his friend Henry checking out a nice tow boat.

AbzUqPv.jpg

No shoes on the boat!

RztigI0.jpg

Didn't get many pictures of the construction process, as the Admiral had to work this weekend, so I was on dad, assembly, and take pictures duty. Luckily I have a cooperative helper.

m3sdQiJ.jpg

And once again, I apologize for the terrible pictures. I was in a race against sunset, kiddo's attention while watching Paw Patrol, and didn't take the tarp all the way off as a result. BUT...ALL THE SEATS ARE DONE!!!!!!!!!! It's been over a year to get here, but we got them taken care of. The extra room back in the garage and basement are also appreciated.

XjiDjMB.jpg

The final bench going in.

rImvLHT.jpg

And in place.

dkPgfAL.jpg

The front benches. Of course I forgot to take a picture with both cushions on. Now it's time for a million little odds and ends. Once it warms up, I'll start working on the trailer rebuild and the steering cable swap.

kFzpRhL.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, not related to the pontoon, but dad decided that he also wanted a hole in the water to throw money into, so he picked up this super clean Monterey Montura 186. 4.3 vortec alpha one boat. Should be fun!!

gfB4GNA.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Nice looking boat.....It ought to be pretty fast too.

I'm curious to see how it does. We rented a 21' Rinker Flotilla deck boat, which had a tri hull ish kind of setup and the same 4.3 vortex/alpha power. It ran 35 on gps on my phone with a few guys and a full ta k. I imagine this could touch mid 40s with a light load.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I'm curious to see how it does. We rented a 21' Rinker Flotilla deck boat, which had a tri hull ish kind of setup and the same 4.3 vortex/alpha power. It ran 35 on gps on my phone with a few guys and a full ta k. I imagine this could touch mid 40s with a light load.

That thing ought to be licking 55 mph if not more. My Chap is 20.5' with the 4.3LX and does 48mph at WOT.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Hey everyone, it's been a minute.

So, boat has been sitting for the winter, but I figured I would toss this project in since it's related. Got tired of the boat sitting in a mud pit on the side of the house, so I put in a gravel driveway to make it a bit less of a mess. Railroad ties are heavy and horrible.

xIkSwCh.jpg

This was a constant reminder of why I work an office job.

93ItGJx.jpg

Gravel arrives

Qus2kwr.jpg

Letting the heavy equipment do the hard work.

3wg9Wjl.jpg

Backyard portion in progress. This is where I keep my fishing boat during the offseason.

x09li5a.jpg

dYVgPyE.jpg

And done! Much better.

r9dTrG3.jpg

DTEwlVM.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
While moving the boat for the driveway project, I noticed this. A seal of some kind has bit the dust. I was going to pull the lower anyway to put in a new water pump to start the season, so no big worry. crazyinkc is coming Wednesday to help me get things squared away. Ordered a complete lower reseal kit off Iboats this morning. I will have to wait and see whether I have the pin or wedge style impeller key once the lower is off, then order that.

v71A0eU.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Yikes.....could it be the water pump housing seal? Hope you get her figured out.

Ended up being the seal around the shift rod housing! crazyinkc helped me get the lower off, torn down, and the new seals in.

Last week, I got my water pump kit in from Iboats and got that tossed in. Glad I did. One of the impeller blades was starting to tear. With our luck, it would have completely failed while we were in the middle of the lake on memorial day weekend.

Z4NkXkB.jpg

Here's the lower I use, along with a spare I have that I used a reference to make sure everything went back together right.

y8fkdWy.jpg

Got the lower back on the boat on Saturday. Reconnecting the shift rod was bit of a pain, but I eventually got it.

First turn of the key after sitting since October, and everything is working!!!!

Hopefully we'll have some time to hit the water this weekend.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Finally got out this weekend! Went pretty well. Reverse wasn't working because I didn't have the shift shaft height set properly, but got that squared away on Saturday. Was a glorious day to be on the water.

xkLIfNC.jpg

The admiral and captain

2LV74vb.jpg

wyhlIaG.jpg

My ugly mug

euMN0Tk.jpg

Didn't get a bite, but he didn't mind.

pMb7HpL.jpg

And the armada sitting on the side drive.

yyainkY.jpg

87HsKiM.jpg